Decorate Door?

NYTammy

Hi everyone!

I know some of you will think this is corny, but does anyone decorate the cabin doors? Im not sure if this is a thing of the past, or if people still do this?? (I dont want to be the only one):D

For those that do, can I have some ideas??

Thanks so much!

Tammy

One of our family members is having a major birthday during our next cruise and i plan to decorate the door. BTW, i contacted Carnival and they do allow this as long as you don't damage the door; they suggested using magnets to put up the decorations.

Question?: I want to surprise my husband for our 30th anniversary and dont know when I can work this without him knowing and ruining the initial surprise. I know I cant get the room early without him being with me and just thumping my brain on this one. Tell me some secrets.. I also have my sons room to decorate across the hall for his and DG first cruise and i want to make something special for them also. I was thinking telling husband to keep them downstairs at somepoint and let me decorate their door and hopefully I can do both at the same time. Any thoughts. This is our anniversary gift to each other but I wanted to add a little spark upon entery to our room. Any helpful thoughts I would love. We are cruising on the Ectasy on Oct. 11 and dont remember if they have magnetic doors. Anyone else know or recall.

hi all

this is my first cruise with my DH, we usually go to resorts and I hang my Canadian flag from the balcony, so to me a resort is no different than a cruise ship.... same bedroom just different location every minute.. Reading this forum I have suggested on our roll call we have a decoration contest. Suggested we have a theme.... tell something about where you are from and maybe something about yourself. should be very interesting so far we have some entries from Canada, USA and Australia. If you have a problem with this ..... well to bad .... I am on vacations and I don't know you from Adam so I can not embarass you. If you still have a problem maybe you need to get some fun back in your life,, think about it you are on the fun ship and I am going to have fun... I do like the idea of being able to find my room a lot easier. providing someone does not move it to another room.

Question?: I want to surprise my husband for our 30th anniversary and dont know when I can work this without him knowing and ruining the initial surprise. I know I cant get the room early without him being with me and just thumping my brain on this one. Tell me some secrets.. I also have my sons room to decorate across the hall for his and DG first cruise and i want to make something special for them also. I was thinking telling husband to keep them downstairs at somepoint and let me decorate their door and hopefully I can do both at the same time. Any thoughts. This is our anniversary gift to each other but I wanted to add a little spark upon entery to our room. Any helpful thoughts I would love. We are cruising on the Ectasy on Oct. 11 and dont remember if they have magnetic doors. Anyone else know or recall.

It was my DH's birthday on our last cruise and I had the same problem. Asked him to go to the MDR to check to see where our table was to make sure it was what we wanted. While he was gone I got the door and cabin decorated. NOTE: Make sure you carry on the decorations so you don't have to wait for luggage delivery.

Good luck!!!

hi all

this is my first cruise with my DH, we usually go to resorts and I hang my Canadian flag from the balcony, so to me a resort is no different than a cruise ship.... same bedroom just different location every minute.. Reading this forum I have suggested on our roll call we have a decoration contest. Suggested we have a theme.... tell something about where you are from and maybe something about yourself. should be very interesting so far we have some entries from Canada, USA and Australia. If you have a problem with this ..... well to bad .... I am on vacations and I don't know you from Adam so I can not embarass you. If you still have a problem maybe you need to get some fun back in your life,, think about it you are on the fun ship and I am going to have fun... I do like the idea of being able to find my room a lot easier. providing someone does not move it to another room.

WOW! Why so defensive....Did someone give you a hard time about this? I can't imagine someone being so rude to you just because you want to decorate and have a contest.

Just a side note: You said you fly your flag from the balcony of the resort room. You may want to reconsider flying it from your balcony of the cabin or at least make sure it is very secure. It would be sad to loose it to a gust of wind. Also Carnival may have some rules regarding what can and cannot be on a balcony so you might want to check that out.

Hope you have the best time ever and win the decorating contest.

hi all

Beleive Maritime Law prohibits any other flags flown other than the flag the ship sails under and the logo flag of the cruise line. So hanging the canadian flag from your Balcony would probably be prohibited. Also believe coast guard regulations and cruise lines regualtions prohibit anything to be hung over or thrown over the ship. It it detacheds it becomes both an environmental and safety hazard . I won't be embarressed d but you might when the security comes knocking on your door to take it down and or impose a fine.

I never decorate the door when I stay at the Marriot or other hotels, so why would I on a cruise ship ? Don't criticize those who do , just don't understand it.

You wouldn't, just not your thing and that's cool too. :) Some like to do this and others don't (actually most don't). I'm glad everyone doesn't decorate their door. If everyone did my door wouldn't stand out as much. :p

hi all again

I know marine law and no I can hang Canadian flag off balcony, that would be insulting the flag that the ship sails under but I can put something Canadian on door... you are correct I would not want to loose my flag in the Ocean.... that would be really upsetting for me. But I will put something on balcony rail so I can get a picture from the pier so I can point out our room to family.

My thought on door decoration is each thier own but don't critize those of us that do decorate our doors ...... we are on the fun ship and this is part of it....... would I do it on the Queen Mary I don't think so ........ she is a luxury ship and I am sure I would upset more than the cruisers on the ship.

hi all

AMEN!! My thoughts exactly... good way to find your room and maybe your neighbors around you can appreaciate finding theirs due to your door decor.

Go Canes, Love the mailbox idea!

The doors are on the Pride are Metal as with her sister ship the SPIRIT, we used magnets. I don't know if I have posted my door hanger here or not. I use a banner type that I can change things for each cruise. Yhis is the one I used for our group cruise to Alaska. It has the Alaska flag and the Virginia flag which is where we are from. I am in the process of doing the next one for our upcoming cruise to the Bahamas. I will leave the VA flag but remove the Alaska one. I will remove change the Cruise Critic sign and the Daily activity one. I just put a clear sheet protector on with brads for the larger one and an 8 x 8 photo sleeve for the smaller one. The stickers to write on were from the dollar store. The banner background is made from a flag. I just used fabric glue to fold some of the bottom up to make the pockets.

I am making a pirate one for an upcoming group cruise. It is much smaller to be hung over the mailbox. I cut the flag, and sealed the edges with fabric glue.

my-door-banner.jpg?w=497&h=372

When I had my grandson with us, I made a banner for them too, it had Carnival Funship Freddy on it.

There is a site that make free pictures for you to make into signs. I can not post the link here but it has to do with a mouse.

freddy-working-Noel.jpg.69ab05e3e81de43f18fdafc0744d2345.jpg

During Valentines we were on the Majesty and I decorated our door. I used photo magnets and we were practically the only ones on our deck that had them, which made our cabin easy to find. However, on the last afternoon/night, someone swiped one of the magnets..........ironically it was the only one that was a photo of us!

Either kids playing games or very creepy. Not sure. In any event, I am contemplating whether to do the same for our upcoming cruise on the Inspiration on 2/12, which will also be during Valentines Day. I think if I do, I may leave off any personal pictures or items.

Go Canes, Love the mailbox idea!

The doors are on the Pride are Metal as with her sister ship the SPIRIT, we used magnets. I don't know if I have posted my door hanger here or not. I use a banner type that I can change things for each cruise. Yhis is the one I used for our group cruise to Alaska. It has the Alaska flag and the Virginia flag which is where we are from. I am in the process of doing the next one for our upcoming cruise to the Bahamas. I will leave the VA flag but remove the Alaska one. I will remove change the Cruise Critic sign and the Daily activity one. I just put a clear sheet protector on with brads for the larger one and an 8 x 8 photo sleeve for the smaller one. The stickers to write on were from the dollar store. The banner background is made from a flag. I just used fabric glue to fold some of the bottom up to make the pockets.

I am making a pirate one for an upcoming group cruise. It is much smaller to be hung over the mailbox. I cut the flag, and sealed the edges with fabric glue.

my-door-banner.jpg?w=497&h=372

When I had my grandson with us, I made a banner for them too, it had Carnival Funship Freddy on it.

There is a site that make free pictures for you to make into signs. I can not post the link here but it has to do with a mouse.

Amymickey, she does good work, but now I'm bummed she made the same one for me. I thought it would be more orginal. She made me a good one for my B2B in Jan. though. That forsure was an orginal. I got the design for Tshirts

Very cool. How did you get that made? Yourself or a site or store?

I have a friend who makes banners and he and I sat down and went through photos I have taken pluus stock shots from the web and came up with this. Lots of fun. One of this size might be a bit pricey - you could design it yourself and take to a store and get a quote. The advantage of this is having it for all your cruises! I used the sticky dots that are like silly putty to put it on the door. I then cut out the door handle.

Archived