Roatan - Coral Cay and Shrimp Fest

lvcruises

I did searches under NCL and Roatan to see if I could find any new posts about this excursion. We suppose to do the Gumbalimba park & Tabyana Beach but I'm getting concerned about the monkey's and the biting. Has anyone done the Coral Cay and Shirmp? My DH loves to Snorkel, I can take it or leave it. Is there much else to do here, is it crowded? I hope someone has been there recently and can share their thoughts

I did searches under NCL and Roatan to see if I could find any new posts about this excursion. We suppose to do the Gumbalimba park & Tabyana Beach but I'm getting concerned about the monkey's and the biting. Has anyone done the Coral Cay and Shirmp? My DH loves to Snorkel, I can take it or leave it. Is there much else to do here, is it crowded? I hope someone has been there recently and can share their thoughts

Here's an excerpt from my review from our visit to Coral Cay last week:

Roatan - We did the Coral Cay Beach and Snorkel excursion and we thought it was a waste of money. The beach was beautiful, but the whole time we were there they had a guy walking around singing over a loudspeaker to very loud music which was very annoying. We went to the beach to relax, not feel like we were at a concert. Also when it comes lunch time the only option is to pay an extra $20 for the shrimp fest meal. There are no other dining options for snacks or anything here that we saw. There were sand fleas also so if you do this excursion be sure to bring the bug spray and apply it before you set foot on the beach.

To answer your other questions, it wasn't overly crowded, no trouble finding a chair but if you want an umbrella make sure you choose a chair near one of the pipes they have burried in the sand or they won't bring you an umbrella. Also there is a little area with turtles and some reef sharks, but we weren't overly impressed. Other than that there's not a whole lot else to do. We didn't do the shrimp fest but it's basically the same excursion without the meal. You might enjoy it, but we didn't.

Thanks for the info. I did see your post but wasn't sure it was the same since you said there was a $20 charge for lunch. so, the beach area was just ok? I've also posted about the Jolly Roger Catamaran, thought my DH might like that better for snorkeling? Did you hear anyone talk about that one? We really prefer doing our excursion thru the ship especially in countries we have never been too and we aren't sure if they are all that safe.

Thanks for the info. I did see your post but wasn't sure it was the same since you said there was a $20 charge for lunch. so, the beach area was just ok? I've also posted about the Jolly Roger Catamaran, thought my DH might like that better for snorkeling? Did you hear anyone talk about that one? We really prefer doing our excursion thru the ship especially in countries we have never been too and we aren't sure if they are all that safe.

The $20 charge was because we didn't do the excursion that included the "shrimp fest". We thought that there was some sort of place to get food there at the bar, but that was our fault for assuming. $20 seemed a bit steep for a cafeteria style lunch though.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, the beach was very nice, it was the guy walking around with the microphone singing very loudly that ruined our relaxation.

We like doing excursions through the ship too, especially in ports that we have never been to. You never know what could happen and if I got left at a port that would pretty much ruin my vacation :D

I guess I will add my .02 to this thread. We went as a party of 6 on this excursion. Didn't know about the sand fleas but had heard about them on here. Didn't take long for the red spots to start popping up though. I brought bug spray but thought I would see them before putting it on. I did not see one bug and had about 25 bites. they were not painful and went away after about a day. We all had them. Beach was nice brought my own snorkeling gear. COULD NOT SEE A THING! Carnival is building a port next door and with all the digging of the sand thy messed up the whole thing. There is another area that you can pay for but I did not do that. I liked the singing thought the guy was good. Sang some popular songs with his kind of twist to them. Lunch was to dye for. i had about 2 full plates of shrimp. It was amazing! Well worth the money. best part was the cheap beers. I think locals were $2. Made the entire place fun. To be honest if we hadn't had about 10 buckets of beer we probably would have been disappointed. You can infact go all the way to the end where there is another dock and you should have more privacy. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Dei3Nascar8@aol.com

Archived