pondering Majesty - never been on NCL

drpclarke

Hi all-

I am looking at going on Majesty in April out of Charleston, one full week, with husband and one child.

I've formerly done Carnival (okay) and Royal Caribbean (which I love)..

What I am wondering is:

1. is service comparable to RCCL - we loved that..

2. Are the bathrooms much smaller than either Carnival or RCCL in an window outside stateroom (the 145 sq. ft cabin).

3. How is child care for 10 year old...do they have stuff appropriate for that age..

4. Do "At Sea" days on NCL have just as much stuff as the At Sea on the other cruise lines??

Obviously - we just need a vacation. I don't care about the ports, but I want to be sure we are comfortable on the ship. I don't care about formal stuff, so freestyle stuff is fine, but I also don't want to pay extra for restaurants...

If you have the same sort of view on a cruise, and have done these lines, I'd love to have your advice.

Thanks!

Rachel

Fantasy 12/00

Imagination 6/01

Splendour 6/03

Sovereign 12/05

Grandeur 4/06

Majesty has many fans (I'm included) and she is a smaller/older ship without many of the extras you would find on bigger RCI ships. The friendly and helpful staff makes up for it. You really feel like you're at sea, as opposed to a shopping mall. ;)

Bathrooms are small but on par with other ships. Definitely book the 145 sq. ft. cabin or even better, an AB suite.

Freestyle is a definite plus but remember you can make reservations at any of the non fee dining rooms. Debarkation is the best.

Have fun picking your cruise! :)

Hi all-

I am looking at going on Majesty in April out of Charleston, one full week, with husband and one child.

I've formerly done Carnival (okay) and Royal Caribbean (which I love)..

What I am wondering is:

1. is service comparable to RCCL - we loved that..

I feel that overall the service is excellent on NCL. Of course, just like on any ship, on any given day, you may have small service issues. But I've always been happy with NCL's service.

2. Are the bathrooms much smaller than either Carnival or RCCL in an window outside stateroom (the 145 sq. ft cabin).

I honestly don't know.

3. How is child care for 10 year old...do they have stuff appropriate for that age..

NCL Kids Club is very popular. Hopefully, someone will post and give you some details but many people say that their child loves the program. As on other lines, the kids are divided by age group so that each group can do activities which apply to their age.

4. Do "At Sea" days on NCL have just as much stuff as the At Sea on the other cruise lines??

NCL is pretty laid back when it comes to things like pool games, etc. They changed that a while back since many people just want to relax by the pool, sun, or read and not be part of the belly flop contest. :) However, other then no pool games, the Freestyle Daily (NCL's daily paper/program) is always chocked full of the stuff you see on all cruiselines....triva contests, scavenger hunts, vollyball tournament, etc.

Obviously - we just need a vacation. I don't care about the ports, but I want to be sure we are comfortable on the ship. I don't care about formal stuff, so freestyle stuff is fine, but I also don't want to pay extra for restaurants...

You will not have to pay extra do get a good meal on NCL. All ships have 2 main dining rooms, a buffet, room service, and a diner type place(limited menu of "comfort foods") to eat...all included in the price of your cruise fare. There is somewhere to eat 23 hours a day on every NCL ship. The Freestyle Daily will have all of the places listed and their operating hours.

If you have the same sort of view on a cruise, and have done these lines, I'd love to have your advice.

Thanks!

Rachel

Fantasy 12/00

Imagination 6/01

Splendour 6/03

Sovereign 12/05

Grandeur 4/06

To be honest, my only concern here is the particular ship that you are considering. The Majesty is an old girl and is small. She does not have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships...fantastic kids pool area, flo riders, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, bowling alleys, mini golf, etc. So if you go on her expecting her to compare to one of the newer, larger ships, you are going to be disappointed.

However, many people love the Majesty for what she is. A classic lady with a wonderful crew. If you want a nice family vacation and go knowing what to expect from this ship, then you won't be disappointed.

Good luck choosing.

CG

Looking at your cruising history, i see you have pretty much only been on the older ships of both lines. I think you will feel right @ home on the Majesty as long as you know in advance that it is going to be smaller than the previous ships you have been on.

Thats the best way i would describe the Majesty is comfortable, if it were a food, it would be the equivelant of whatever your favorite comfort food is.

The previous poster pretty much answered all of your questions besides the kids club one. They do in fact have the same kids club you will see on other NCL ships (which is good), just not as extensive facilities is all.

For the price, the Majesty is a great buy IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise no mater what you choose.

Archived