Roll Call - Infinity Feb 14 2010 - Antarctica & S. America

Chicagogirlie

It may be the paperwork that asks you choice for dinner seating, etc. along with credit card info.

We are also doing the Falls but pre-cruise. Double check about the visas to Brazil. I understood that if you were a tourist staying less than 60 or 90 days (can't remember) you didn't need one.

Cheers

Most of the 'paperwork" can be done online now. Go to Celebrity,com and you will see your reservation there as made by PP. I have already entered our information but will print out our documents later.

Dinner seating was already in the reservation for us at 8:30. Can't remember if I told Derek this or if it's automatic for our group.

Hey Wes and Bret,

glad to see there'll be fellow Canuks onboard! Rose and I will also be travelling with 2 other lesbian couples. Did you get hit with snow already? We're from Toronto so no flakes here yet.

Hey there Wes and Bret, Barb and Wendy who are travelling with Meth and Rose say hi. They say we may get a little of the white stuff tomorrow.

Apart from the Falkland Islands, who has the inside track on shore excursions and is willing to share. There are so many blogs that it will take till March 2010 to read it all.

We are looking forward to making new friends.

Cheers

Niel

I may be interested in joining with you all on the Volunteer Point if there is room for 1 more. Have you all booked under the name "Pied Piper", or any other reference I can use to travel with you all?

Hi Jamie,

There'll be 6 of us with the Patrick Watt's tour to Volunteer Point. Since they only take 4 people per jeep we'll have room for you if you're still interested. Let me know, Methylyn

Hi Jamie,

There'll be 6 of us with the Patrick Watt's tour to Volunteer Point. Since they only take 4 people per jeep we'll have room for you if you're still interested. Let me know, Methylyn

Thanks, Methylyn. I would love to join you all. How should we proceed at this point?

Apart from the Falkland Islands, who has the inside track on shore excursions and is willing to share. There are so many blogs that it will take till March 2010 to read it all.

We are looking forward to making new friends.

Cheers

Niel

Hi Niel,

I know there's tons of stuff out there. Here are the tour companies that we've booked with. They were passed on by other cruisers on other threads. Please feel free to mention my name. The prices depend on what you want to do and how large your party is.

Ushuaia, Argentina

http://www.canalfun.com

I know, no pun intended! Ask for Carlos.

There are several types of tours. Our group has signed up for the 4x4 tour. The motor boat tour also looks good but doesn't include lunch, just snacks.

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

douglas.arg@gmail.com

You can check out his interview on this travel blog http://livinginpatagonia.com/?p=3278

We'll be seeing both penguins and sea lions. It was suggested to us to book one other tour to see penguins in case we're not able to tender at Falkland Island. The risk of inclement weather is highest at this port.

I am still researching our last port - Montevideo.

Hope this helps, Methylyn

Hi Niel,

I know there's tons of stuff out there. Here are the tour companies that we've booked with. They were passed on by other cruisers on other threads. Please feel free to mention my name. The prices depend on what you want to do and how large your party is.

Ushuaia, Argentina

www.canalfun.com

There are several types of tours. Our group has signed up for the 4x4 tour. The motor boat tour also looks good but doesn't include lunch, just snacks.

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

douglas.arg@gmail.com

You can check out his interview on this travel blog http://livinginpatagonia.com/?p=3278

We'll be seeing both penguins and sea lions. It was suggested to us to book one other tour to see penguins in case we're not able to tender at Falkland Island. The risk of inclement weather is highest at this port.

Thank you so very much. I will check these guys out.

Hi Niel,

Ushuaia, Argentina

www.canalfun.com

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

douglas.arg@gmail.com

We are having dinner with two couples later this month who have done this cruise. I'll be sure to pick their brains and let y'all know what I find.

I too am booked on the 14 day South America cruise and looking forward to meeting others. I am also considering a land tour to Rio, Iguassu and Santiago after we return from the crusie. Hope to meet you all on board!

I just started reading,"Rounding the Horn" by Dallas Murphy. This is his story of sailing the Horn in 2000. Lots of info told in an interesting way.

From what I've learned so far we have a 50/50 chance of actually being able to get in to Stanley on the Falklands.

John and I are looking forward to meeting all of you.

Al

I just started reading,"Rounding the Horn" by Dallas Murphy. This is his story of sailing the Horn in 2000. Lots of info told in an interesting way.

From what I've learned so far we have a 50/50 chance of actually being able to get in to Stanley on the Falklands.

John and I are looking forward to meeting all of you.

Al

I'll have to put this book on my Christmas wish list!

Yes I've heard that about the Falklands port which is why we booked another penguin tour while in Peurto Madryn. I guess the Falklands will really test my anti-nausea meds!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dinner was fabulous, roast duck etc etc and lots a great wine. So we chatted with our friends who have done this cruise before on their own. They did not book anything in advance and kind of played it by ear and hired drivers and cars in different places. After all there was not that much to see. They tried to avoid the buses from the cruise ships as much as they could.

We are going to book a "ships excursion" in Ushia/Porto Madryn and then hire a van and driver in Montevideo. The city is not very big and can be covered very quickly.

The restaurants in BA is open late and it is definitely a late night place as bars do not get crowded till 2am.

Apparently if you try and speak Spanish and get stuck, they will not switch back to English to help you, so if your Spanish is not good, better stick to English. (Must be the French influence)

We are meeting more guys who have "inside" scoop on the nightlife in BA and will get some more info.

Our friends had a great time and had really good weather, it was just very windy which is to be expected. Layer clothes is the advice they gave us.

Cheers

Niel

:confused:Sad to say but yes its true. Argentina is going to start "taxing" visitors.

Like Brazil they don't seem to realize this will result in a loss of tourism that will be greater than the amount they collect in fees.

I am still hoping to talk my partner into this cruise. He really wants to do the Quark trip sometime. Any ideas on how I can persuade him? I told him lets try this and if its not enough we can do the quark another year.

Happy New year to everyone

Steve

Welcome Bradley,

Most of us Pied Piper folks will be sitting together at late seating, but I am sure you will have your "gaydar" on. Usually, we meet as a group for drinks before dinner at a lounge near the dining room. From what I have heard, Celebrity and RCCL no longer post Friends of Dorothy gatherings in the schedule, but if anyone asks, they will post it on an "activities board" near guest relations.

Looking forward to meeting you.

FYI, for those of you who did not hear it yet in the news, Latin America's first gay marriage just took place in Ushuaia, Argentina. How nice that we will be there soon.

Jamie: thanks for sharing we hadn't heard the great news! BTW did you get the Falkland trip sorted out?

Bradley: welcome! Another Canuk on board

Steve: tell your partner that there'll be lots of "family" on this cruise.

Neil: thanks for the travel tips and the heads up on the Argentina Reciprocity fees. I'm going to have to calculate how much USD we're going to have to exchange for this trip!

~Methylyn

Archived