Roll Call - Infinity Feb 14 2010 - Antarctica & S. America

Chicagogirlie

I've booked all of my shore excursions and thought I would share them with you all.

PORT STANLEY- private penguin tour with Patrick Watts and some of the group members here.

USHUAIA- Beagle Channel Navigation and Park (US01) as recommended by Pied Piper.

PUERTO MADRYN- Estancia Penguin Reserve & Punta Norte (PM18). I am reserving this in the event that we are unable to land at Port Stanley. It's the back up penguin plan. If I get to see the penguins in the Falklands, I may change this if I can.

MONTEVIDEO- Highlights (MV20- 1:00PM) as recommended by Pied Piper.

BUENOS AIRES (end)- Since we are flying home later in the evening, the airport transfer (BA35) that tours BA and an estancia in the countryside.

This cruise is right around the corner, yet I am leaving on another one next week!

Hey all.... I received the recommended excursions from Pied Piper as well.. was disappointed to see that there's not an excursion in BA to Eva Peron's cemetary site. Was wondering if anyone knew of any other options. Thanks.

As corny as it may sound, I have to admit that the train ride "to the end of the world" sounds like fun ... hmmmm.... and of course, one of the penguin viewings is in the plans.

Am meeting up with my travel buddy this weekend to discuss the recommendations by Pied Piper and see which ones we will choose.

DallasSteve

As corny as it may sound, I have to admit that the train ride "to the end of the world" sounds like fun ...

I had booked the train ride because I thought it would be fun too, then received an email from Celebrity that the tour has been cancelled for "operational" reasons, and they refunded my money. Too bad.

It's possible that my BA tour at the end of the cruise will go to the cemetery, but it is not specifically listed. I may go the day before the cruise just out of curiosity, but it's not like I need to honor that dreadful woman. -lol

Does anyone know much about the glacier at Ushuaia, or is planning to visit? It's not listed as an excursion option by Celebrity, but on a website it was listed as one of the 3 must-see sites. Thanks.

DallasSteve

From what I have read, to get to the glacier it requires a couple hours hiking after taking a chair lift. Most people probably don't want to hike, sometimes over ice, to see it.

If anyone is interested in a tango/dinner, I have booked La Ventana Barrio de Tango for Saturday night. There are a lot of tango shows to choose from in BA with varying degrees of prices and reviews. This one seemed to get mostly good reviews, and I thought was reasonably priced. Also, they will pick you up at your hotel and drop you back off. So, I figured I'd just take the plunge and book it.

If anyone is interested in a tango/dinner, I have booked La Ventana Barrio de Tango for Saturday night. There are a lot of tango shows to choose from in BA with varying degrees of prices and reviews. This one seemed to get mostly good reviews, and I thought was reasonably priced. Also, they will pick you up at your hotel and drop you back off. So, I figured I'd just take the plunge and book it.

Hi.

This sounds interesting. Is there a website where I can find more info on this?

Thanks!

Hi Bayotter. I too looked at the website for the Tango, but could net get my computer to show prices. Do you have an idea of the price for the dinner and show? Thanks.

DallasSteve

It is a bit confusing. On the first page you see, click on English on the right. On the next page, there is a red curtain in a box in the upper right hand corner that rotates the words Buy Now and Make your reservations now. Click on that, and on the next page, click on each choice to see the prices. There are several packages to choose from with options that are all different prices. Dinner, dinner/show, VIP seating etc. We are doing dinner and show with VIP seating (which means you sit by the stage facing front).

Any problems, let me know.

Jamie

We just booked our shore excursions in Ushuaia and Puerto Madryn. Thank you guys for the info.

Now to look into "party time" in BA. So much to do, so little time. We arrive on Friday morning and will be staying a the AXEL HOTEL (hetero friendly)

We get in at 9am on Friday @ EZE. Anybody else on that flight to share a van with into the city? Private cars are quite pricey but th eprices I have been quoted thus far is for the car and not per person.

Niel

We arrive on Friday morning and will be staying a the AXEL HOTEL (hetero friendly)

We get in at 9am on Friday @ EZE. Anybody else on that flight to share a van with into the city? Private cars are quite pricey but th eprices I have been quoted thus far is for the car and not per person.

Niel

Steve and I are also arriving on Friday morning AND staying at the AXEL hotel. I arrive about 9am (on AA) but Steve doesn't arrive until a little after 10am. We booked a car thru the hotel to pick us up after Steve arrives.

Scott

That is the same flight on AA out of Houston. I will call the hotel and set it up. Thank you for the info.:)

Below is some information I ran across while surfing the Internet.

What do I need to take?

When your feet are cold, cover your head." - Inuit saying.

Clothing

As your trip will be in the Antarctic summer, you won't need to take any real extreme cold weather gear. Temperatures on many or most days will hover around freezing point, maybe dropping to an extreme of -10�C (20F). Obviously people adapt to the cold in different ways and I've seen some tourists in the Antarctic in light-weight clothing while others are wrapped up like the Michelin man in the same conditions. Layering is the key, then you can be flexible according to conditions.

Essential!

A wind-proof outer layer. It is unlikely that you will experience very low temperatures as your visit will almost certainly be in the summer. Antarctica is the windiest continent and it certainly penetrates! The warmest pullover or fleece soon becomes useless as the katabatic winds blow down from the great Antarctic ice-cap and straight through it. A coat with a zip-in lining will be useful as on a still sunny day it can feel very warm.

men's women's

You might prefer a down-filled jacket, while these are extremely warm and relatively inflexible - they can easily be thrown on over a t-shirt however for immediate serious insulation

men's women's

Essential!

Insulating layer. This can be combined with the wind-proof outer layer or could be separate. Fleeces are ideal for this in that they come in a variety of weights and styles, just don't be tempted to think that you will be able to get away with a fleece as your only outer layer, despite the new coatings and finishes, they just aren't wind-proof enough on their own.

men's women's

Essential!

Waterproof rain pants for riding in the zodiac and staying dry during landings, light-weight ones are fine and will be easier to pack away into your rucsac.

men's women's

Essential!

Head and ear protection, from the cold. A hat that comes down over your ears or warm head-band to protect your poor little tabs from the wind.

Essential!

Good quality warm gloves. Take a thin pair too as well as a warmer pair. That way you'll be able to take photographs without taking them off. Fingerless gloves or ones that you can push fingers through without taking them off are hopeless in my experience, don't bother unless you've used them before and know that you like them.

Essential!

Good boots, waterproof for those wet zodiac landings, they're not so great for walking long distances in, but you probably won't have to do that. Make sure you get some good warm long socks to go with them too. Waterproof boots may be provided on the ship or may be available for hire - check with your tour operator in advance.

Underwear. As long as you have some thick, warm pants or trousers and waterproof ones for over these, it's unlikely you'll need any long underwear for your legs in the Antarctic summer, unless you really do suffer from the cold. Light-weight long sleeved tops however can be a useful part of your layering system

men's women's

Traditional style and materials, you may feel that you don't really want to look like a modern synthetically clad Antarctican, but would prefer a classical look instead, try here and related pages.

Tourists on Deck of a Cruise Ship, Sea Ice Cruising in Fast Ice, Antarctic Peninsula

Photographic Print

Other stuff

Camera. Get a good quality camera, this means digital for most unless you have a reason to use 35mm. Most people are fine with a digital camera of about 8-15 Mp. This will give plenty of scope for cropping the pictures later and allow enlargements up to about A3 size (11" x 14") of good quality from full frame. A single lens reflex (SLR) is preferable (but more expensive) with at least a standard lens and short telephoto 100-135mm. A zoom may well cover most of your requirements. Anything over a 200mm (ish) lens is an extravagance and wide-angles are more of a matter of photographic style than necessity. More information.

Spare batteries, and spare spare batteries.

Lots of film or memory cards! More than you think you'll need.

Good quality sun-glasses Boy it gets bright! especially when the sun reflects off the sea and ice or snow.

High factor sun-cream, see above. If you've never been burnt under your nose from reflections from snow now's your chance. The ozone hole is real, don't let it prove it to you the hard way.

Lightweight waterproof rucsac to carry your stuff ashore while leaving arms free to clamber in and out of zodiacs

Luggage - you'll need something to lug your stuff around in. Ships cabins are smaller than hotel rooms, so space matters, soft bags can be compressed and pushed under beds whereas large rigid cases can't. Having said this, some ships will stow the bags away after you've unpacked, while others will require you to keep it in your cabin. Ask if possible before you go, or otherwise go for the soft option.

Take a good pair of binoculars, essential if you're an avid wildlife watcher and also pretty useful if you're not. When that whale or seal or penguins, or albatross or.... etc. etc. turns up, you'll be wishing you had your own pair too!

Swiss army pen knife (guys like gadgets), I wouldn't leave home without one.

Tourism and conservation

From ASOC - The Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition:

"ASOC is concerned that one shift is towards a belief that Antarctica should be dealt with like the rest of the world - just another popular tourist destination, rather than as a special region deserving special protection."

Antarctic Tourism Campaign

International Association of Antarctic Tour Operators (IAATO)

More articles on Antarctic travel from The Guardian and Observer newspapers.

Steve and I are also arriving on Friday morning AND staying at the AXEL hotel. I arrive about 9am (on AA) but Steve doesn't arrive until a little after 10am. We booked a car thru the hotel to pick us up after Steve arrives.

Scott

I've booked all of my shore excursions and thought I would share them with you all.

PORT STANLEY- private penguin tour with Patrick Watts and some of the group members here.

USHUAIA- Beagle Channel Navigation and Park (US01) as recommended by Pied Piper.

PUERTO MADRYN- Estancia Penguin Reserve & Punta Norte (PM18). I am reserving this in the event that we are unable to land at Port Stanley. It's the back up penguin plan. If I get to see the penguins in the Falklands, I may change this if I can.

MONTEVIDEO- Highlights (MV20- 1:00PM) as recommended by Pied Piper.

BUENOS AIRES (end)- Since we are flying home later in the evening, the airport transfer (BA35) that tours BA and an estancia in the countryside.

This cruise is right around the corner, yet I am leaving on another one next week!

Well we're so upset. Had to cancel the Celebrity BA35 Buenos Aires tour due to changes in flight schedules. Now we're going to book a city tour on the day we arrive in BA.

We're also staying at the Hotel Axel...we leave next Saturday (30) for two week in BA before the cruise...we'll be getting back to the Hotel Friday morning after a side trip to the Iguazu falls....

Color me GREEN with envy! :D I'd love to see the Iguazu Falls!

Yup, we will be flying through DFW same flight number. Party time on the plane :)

We will be going to Iquaza Falls after the cruise. See you on board !!!

Color me GREEN with envy! :D I'd love to see the Iguazu Falls!

It will no doubt be the hottest part of our trip...and we've been warned about the bugs...apparently summer is NOT the time to go to the falls...

Even though it might be hot, I'll bet it'll still be a wonderful experience!

Stuniel: it will indeed be party time on the plane. woohoo

There is another thread from a group of guys going on the cruise next week (31 January) One of the guys has a friend who did this cruise in December and has posted his experience in various ports and group activities.

Pretty interesting reading if you are interested.

Cheers.

Archived