Where to shop for good jewelry in Jamaica?

MJ2009

We are going to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) in March, I dont really care to do any of the things that I see the cruise is offering. I'm more interested in the beach and shopping. Any ideas on where to shop? I see there is the Island Village and Taj Mahal right by the port, but I guess I was looking for less expensive, not commercialized shops, looking more along the lines of "local shops".

Be an informed and savvy shopper when shopping in the Caribbean, especially for jewelery. Seems like a lot of people think just because they are in the Caribbean everything will be cheaper. Many times you can find the same item right here in the USA cheaper even when considering the duty free status. See what an item is selling for on ebay is a good way to find the true market price.

A few years ago I was looking to buy a new Citizen watch while on a cruise in the Caribbean and noticed the best price was from an internet watch seller in the US, not a high pressure tourist jewelery shop in the islands.

Archived