Airport Beware!!!!

moonstaring

I thought I would just mention this..

We recently went on the Caribbean Princess and flew out of San Juan on Feb 9th. We checked in 4 bags ( 2 for each of us at 15.00 for the 1st bag and 25 for the 2nd). OUr bags had TSA approved locks but when we got our bags at our final destination, two of our bags had the locks missing. The bags themselves looked like they had been ransacked, my cosmetic bags were dumped and the wrappings had been taken off my souviners but nothing was missing. There were no TSA notes in my bags indicating that they had been inspected. Fortunatly we had no valuables in the bags but I did feel violated (and I have had the TSA inspect my bags before as I fly frequently).

I just thought I would put this on here to make people aware what could happen.

Anyone else have a simlar experience flying out of San JUan before?

Yes, Last March after we experienced a 7 1/2 hour delay in Ft. Laud we were told after arriving in San Juan & not seeing any of our bags (@ 11:30 PM) that they didn't make the flight. after i insisted 15 min later they found all our bags, I felt they were so dishonest. I very much dislike that airport.

I thought I would just mention this..

We recently went on the Caribbean Princess and flew out of San Juan on Feb 9th. We checked in 4 bags ( 2 for each of us at 15.00 for the 1st bag and 25 for the 2nd). OUr bags had TSA approved locks but when we got our bags at our final destination, two of our bags had the locks missing. The bags themselves looked like they had been ransacked, my cosmetic bags were dumped and the wrappings had been taken off my souviners but nothing was missing. There were no TSA notes in my bags indicating that they had been inspected. Fortunatly we had no valuables in the bags but I did feel violated (and I have had the TSA inspect my bags before as I fly frequently).

I just thought I would put this on here to make people aware what could happen.

Anyone else have a simlar experience flying out of San JUan before?

Yes, last year we had 3 snorkel vests stolen out of our suitcase in San Juan. The suitcase was unlocked and filled with dirty clothes. The vests were on top so were a quick snatch and grab. From now on, I've very careful about locking the suitcases though TSA always searches my husband's anyway. We filed a claim with American Airlines with original receipts and they reimbursed me. Without the original receipts they would not have reimbursed me anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have also experienced property theft, at San Juan. However, I believe that my stolen camera equipment, occurred on the San Juan ship pier, prior to reaching the airport. RCCL offered a luggage "service", with American Airlines. After disembarking/going through Customs, airlines personnel took possession of your luggage. It was then checked through to your final destination. However, mysteriously our luggage was set aside, and not loaded on to the waiting truck. The airline representative was acting very suspiciously.

When we claimed our luggage, at our final destination, my camera/related equipment was missing. The equipment was positioned at different locations, within the luggage, so it would have taken time to locate it.

My property may have been stolen at the San Juan Airport? But I believe that, in my case, it never even made it off the cruise pier.

I filed complaints with American Airlines, and Royal Caribbean. No response or interest in my loss.

i belong to another non-cruise travel board that has posted numerous times about theft in sju. the newest problem is at the jetway when gate checking bags that would be considered carryon on larger planes. there are now signs warning passengers to make sure they see their luggage put in the plane(doesn't say exactly that but that's what it means!).

Yes, I have also experienced property theft, at San Juan. However, I believe that my stolen camera equipment, occurred on the San Juan ship pier, prior to reaching the airport. RCCL offered a luggage "service", with American Airlines. After disembarking/going through Customs, airlines personnel took possession of your luggage. It was then checked through to your final destination. However, mysteriously our luggage was set aside, and not loaded on to the waiting truck. The airline representative was acting very suspiciously.

When we claimed our luggage, at our final destination, my camera/related equipment was missing. The equipment was positioned at different locations, within the luggage, so it would have taken time to locate it.

My property may have been stolen at the San Juan Airport? But I believe that, in my case, it never even made it off the cruise pier.

I filed complaints with American Airlines, and Royal Caribbean. No response or interest in my loss.

If you were on an American Airlines flight don't give up on it. My DH is an Advantage Gold member so we really pushed to get compensated for our loss and they cut us a check. It took some effort though to get the money plus we had to furnish original receipts which luckily I still had. Keep on it and they will pay.

I went through SJU recently with three other people. Nothing valuable is ever in our checked luggage. Luggage arrived unharmed and unrifled and still ziptied. TSA did go through my carry on. But i was present and he was very respectful to me and my items and let me take my time to carefully repack. He also went through my mother's bag and she had the same experience. Just giving a balancing report. Not all experiences are bad : )

Archived