Guadeloupe & Martinique Travel Alert

donaho

This is a copy of the travel alert. Our January cruise skipped Guadeloupe and went to Antigua instead because of the unrest. We did call in Martinique. I'm sure that future cruises will adjust their itineraries as conditions dictate.

February 13, 2009

This Travel Alert is to alert U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Guadeloupe and Martinique, French West Indies (FWI), that ongoing labor strikes in the region may affect social, economic and tourist services. It is possible that these strikes will spread to other French overseas departments. This Travel Alert expires on May 13, 2009.

Due to ongoing labor strikes, riot police from mainland France are now stationed in Martinique and Guadeloupe. Most commercial activities have ceased, and there are mounting shortages of food, water, and power on both islands.

In Martinique, strikes and large-scale street protests continue. Gas stations, stores, the port, and banks remain closed. There are continuing interruptions in power and rapidly dwindling water and food supplies.

In Guadeloupe there are reports of increasing tensions, with armed gangs blockading routes and targeting residents and tourists. There have been no reports of U.S. citizens being specifically targeted. The government is reportedly mobilizing the police and armed forces to address the possibility of severe civil unrest.

American citizens in both Guadeloupe and Martinique are encouraged to monitor media reports, avoid large crowds, and follow all official instructions. We remind U.S. citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of their surroundings at all times.

For additional information on travel to the FWI, see the Department’s Country Specific Information for French West Indies available at http://travel.state.gov. Americans in FWI should also monitor the website of the U.S. Embassy: http://bridgetown.usembassy.gov. U.S. citizens should remain in contact with friends and family in the United States with updates about their whereabouts. The U.S. Embassy will continue to monitor the situation, and will issue updated messages as needed.

For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section, located at Wildey Business Park, Wildey, St. Michael, Barbados; telephone (246) 227-4000; ACS unit fax (246)431-0179; e-mail consularbridge2@state.gov; web page http://bridgetown.usembassy.gov.

The state department issued a travel alert for Guadeloupe & Martinique last Friday. Does anybody know if this will affect our visiting these two ports

Hi Donaho !

You do not mention your sail date, but the travel alert is open through May 13th. If you are sailing on Azamara this season, chances are good your sailing's itinerary is likely to be revised.

I would suggest calling your travel agent, or Azamara directly, as they can give you the latest information. Enjoy your Cruise !

I am on Hal Noordam and we were supposed to go to Martinique wednesday but we are not going everything has been shut down and no cruise ships are going there as per our captain

Is another island being substituted or another sea day?

B

I called Azamara ask about the warning for Martinique & Guadeloupe.

The rep denied anything was going on. I told her I read the State Dept. advisory. All she would say is Azamara would never put their passengers in danger, and lectured me on how to stay safe. Does anyone know anything more? We leave next week.

I called Azamara ask about the warning for Martinique & Guadeloupe.

The rep denied anything was going on. I told her I read the State Dept. advisory. All she would say is Azamara would never put their passengers in danger, and lectured me on how to stay safe. Does anyone know anything more? We leave next week.

Hi Marlong,

Are you on the Feb 24th sailing? if so there is info on that board come and join us, it would seem that Marigot St Martin and Antigua are the substitute ports,

Hope this helps a bit

Hi Marlong, I think I'm on the same sailing (Journey 2/24), and my TA called Azamara with the same results. They must not be making any official announcement yet, and according to my TA, she was not surprised -- she said they often announce a change like this on the ship. But as Swigso suggested, the roll call for our sailing has been great -- I've been reading that Azamara will likely be heading to Antigua and St. Martin instead.

Don't know if you've scheduled any excursions for Martinique or Guadeloupe through the ship, but my TA also suggested not cancelling any shore excursions yet. She said we can cancel them onboard for a full refund (I thought the website was a bit confusing on that point, so I was glad to have that verified).

I was looking forward to Martinique and Guadeloupe too -- but a quick look at the news indicates that we are definitely not going to get there, and I worry about how St. Barts will weather this too:

POINTE-À-PITRE, Guadeloupe: As President Nicolas Sarkozy prepared Tuesday to meet with labor unions and employer representatives to try to head off mounting unrest over France's declining economy, a month-long general strike on the French Caribbean island of Guadeloupe escalated into widespread rioting, raising fears that political violence would spread to other French territories.

Protesters ransacked shops and torched vehicles in Guadeloupe overnight as a strike over the cost of living escalated, and one senior local official said the island was "on the verge of revolt."

Trees and smoking car wrecks were strewn across streets in Guadeloupe's largest town, Pointe-à-Pitre, and in other areas including Sainte-Rose in the north after a night of clashes between the police and protesters, although no injuries were reported.

Tear gas was fired during a standoff overnight between a group of 60 protesters and two squadrons of riot police, according to the French newspaper Le Monde, which reported that some protesters were armed with shotguns.

rest of the article is at:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/17/europe/france.php

Narrativereader & Swigso,

yes we're on the 02/24 cruise. I was looking forward to going to those 2 islands. I've been to the others.

But what can we do but make the best if it.

Hi,

I think Az should be a little more open now and advise which Islands will replace Guadeloupe and Martinique. As for St Barts I think as this a a more affluent Island and has a better economy without the problems of the others.

Cruise lines had stopped visiting Guadeloupe because of problems with crime and have only reintroduced the island recently after the Government upgraded the pier facilities and the surrounding areas. On a positive I don;t have to get as many Euros.

It would be nice if we could head further south and stop at Greneda and Tobago but I guess they would be too far for a 12 night cruise.

However the reviews feedback coming back just now indicate that the ship is superb so I am sure we will have a great time and enjoy whichever ports of call we visit.

Archived