A Little Reassurance, Please

sogamusicman

This will be my DW and my first NCL cruise. I know the Majesty is not a "bells and whistle" ship, but it seems to be getting VERY mixed reviews - either love it or hate it......

That being said, we have been happier with smaller (2000 pax or less) ships. We tried the Glory with over 3000 friends and really felt crowded. I am very open-minded and just need a break. Freestyle doesn't scare me - we did it on HAL and survived.

Any pleasant thoughts (I know - I just need a little kool-aid) Thanks!!!!

I haven't been on the Majesty yet, but I can't wait to try her. I'm like you....I don't especially care for the mega ships. I love the fact that the Majesty is smaller. I've read that her crew is the best afloat and she has many, many fans.

Did you see/read Radio's postings about his cruise? He posted a lot of good information including pictures and copies of the Freestyle Daily. Looking over his postings and pics might make you feel a little better. :) Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=908129&highlight=majesty

My only concern in your case would be that this is your first NCL cruise. It's well known that the Majesty was built long before NCL adopted Freestyle cruising and it does/can cause some logistical problems. You can't judge Freestyle by what you experience on the Majesty, so if it's not the best experience, keep that in mind when considering NCL in the future.

Frankly, from the way you describe yourself, I think that you will have a wonderful time. You know she's an old girl and you are going with the right attitude, so I think you'll be just fine. :)

CG

If you love the salt air, the motion of the decks and the general thrill of travel, what's not to like? My fiance and I thought the crew were great, and we both thought the food was perfectly good. Would suggest trying to schedule meals a bit "off" the normal times to avoid crowds.

If you want to be entertained non-stop with everything from zip-lines to ice bars (!), to the point you don't even want to get off the ship, you may have some problems.

I know I've been spoiled by Majesty's wraparound promenade; plenty of ships don't have those, nowadays. Especially the bow section . . . they have to close it off fairly regularly due to wind, but when it's open, there aren't many ships at all that have that.

My first NCL cruise was on the Majesty in 2007, and we had a very nice cruise. I wouldn't say we became part of the Majesty cult, but we certainly didn't hate her, and I would enjoy sailing her again if I can manage it before she leaves the fleet. Some of the real positives were that her crew was exceptional and we could always find a nice cozy spot to relax. As far as freestyle dining goes, what CruisinGram said above is right on. We had a standard outside stateroom, and WOW was that room tiny! We made out fine, but had lots of laughs as we are not petite folk!

I also prefer smaller to middle-sized ships, and did not like the Glory, so we may have similar tastes. I can tell you I liked the Majesty well enough to try another NCL cruise, and since then I have 2 more NCL's coming up and I am about done with Carnival. NCL's Jewel has moved into a tie for my all time favorite ship, so NCL is certainly doing lots of things to my taste!

I think you will have a grand time on the old girl since you have your expectations set wisely!

Sorry, guess I am too slow to use the EDIT feature, but I just re-read my review of my July 2007 Majesty cruise, and I wanna do it again!!

You want to edit your post, or you want to cruise the Majesty again? Go ahead, we'll be here waiting.:)

You want to edit your post, or you want to cruise the Majesty again? Go ahead, we'll be here waiting.:)

HAHA, I want to sail the Majesty again! One of the reasons I write reviews is because when I read them later, it brings me back to how I felt at the time. And I felt pretty darn good on that cruise :D

Archived