**Traveling the Fantasy with a 1 year old in July**

bflandry317

We are taking a family cruise July 16 on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. This will be my first time traveling with my child and he'll be 1 in June.

Has anyone traveled with a small child and if so, please give me some pointers?

And if you traveled the Fantasy before, how did you like the ship?

Thanks!!

Our grandson has been cruising since he was 5 months old and loves the waterworks on the Fantasy, Inspiration, etc. since they did the upgrades. Take the same things he enjoys at home - toys, favorite blanket, etc. and enjoy the cruise. We used the babysitting services for Camp Carnival in the evenings (believe it is $5 per hour or so) and they are wonderful. Lots of the ships have the pagers for infants so they can call you right up if there is any problem. enjoy -

\Happy Sails to you!

My son's first cruise was at 1 1/2, he's now 4 1/2 going on his 4th cruise in April.

TIPS:

1. We ate in the buffet most nights, since 2 hrs is a long time for a baby to sit there quietly. If we wanted to do the DR, we got a sitter.

2. I brought a DVD player with Barney and Teletubbies with headphones, his favs at the time. Kept him happy at the pool or while we played bingo, he sat in his stroller and watched tv.

3. Know ahead of time the baby can't go in the pool (diapers), so pool time might not be high on your list. My son was sad that he couldn't go in, so we tended to not go to the pool while he was with us...why upset him.

I agree that you should try a ship with the splash area, as babies in diapers can take part in that activitiy, so the baby doesn't feel left out of water play.:D

Babies are fun at that age, you'll be fine.:D

Cruising with a runaway toddler is a whole other matter. :eek: For toddler curising I have one huge tip-bring lots of snacks. And don't plan on getting any rest, as you won't get any. But babies are still fun people to cruise with.

And don't be surprised when crew members take interest in your baby...they are often missing their own child at home, and seeing your baby might remind them of their own.

When my son was 2, the manager of the windjammer on the Vision practically adopted my son, because he was homesick. He would actually take my son to walk around the restaurant, talk to the crew, or tour the kitchen so we could eat for a few minutes in peace. Then at the end of the cruise I tried to tip him for all of his time, he refused, saying he should pay us.

Have a great time with your baby!!:)

It does also depend on the child. Some kids take to travel as if they were born in a plane or on a ship. Others like the safety and security of home. So knowing your child is important. We use to travel with a portable playpen/bed which my son could both nap in and play in for periods of time without me having to run after him non-stop. Not in a dining room but on various decks it would work. I never used a backpack to carry him in (not a back pack but I can't remember what they are actually called), but some people swear by them and they would be great in ports. But make sure your child is happy in it- practice and use it before the cruise. We always used an umbrella stroller which was a lifesaver. Kids decide to nap at the strangest times and with one you can often have a nice lunch or dinner while kiddo sleeps. We lived over seas when our son was very young so traveled a lot- and he had a wonderful time. And it can open doors to meeting people you otherwise wouldn't have the chance to talk with.

I agree that you should try a ship with the splash area, as babies in diapers can take part in that activitiy, so the baby doesn't feel left out of water play.:D

I dont want to say you are wrong because it sounds like you have first hand knowledge, but I thought that all onboard water areas were off limit to anyone wearing diapers??? Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Check out the family board for more tips on cruising with young ones. You're bound to get quite a few opinions you didn't ask for around here.

Definitely check out the family board, you'll get tons of advice there. But...since you're here right now...

For bath time, take some sort of inflatable bath tub. We were already using one at home and I let the air out and brought it with us. It fit perfectly in the shower in our room for bath time on the cruise. We used it only for bath time but I have heard lots of people use them for makeshift swimming pools. If your child doesn't mind taking showers then don't bring it but at that age my DD didn't like the shower thing.

During sea days, I would find a location that was empty of people and let my DD run around to get her wiggles out. Also, bring a few comforts from home (stuffed animal, blanket, whatever) but also have a few new things that your son hasn't played with yet.

Enjoy your cruise!!

For bath time, take some sort of inflatable bath tub.

I'm glad you said something about a tub. I'm sure it's not easy giving a 1 year old a shower..lol! But I have one I have not opened yet so I will definitely bring it.

Where is the Family Board? Still new to the site.

I'm glad you said something about a tub. I'm sure it's not easy giving a 1 year old a shower..lol! But I have one I have not opened yet so I will definitely bring it.

Where is the Family Board? Still new to the site.

you know I've got so many friends who would bring their kids in the shower with them for bath time. I just never did that because a child who is moving around and wet is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I see someone posted the link for the family threads for you. Check it out, you'll get tons of advice and you can even find some packing lists so you don't forget anything.

Archived