Pools on the ship -- salt or fresh water?

gina2edu

When I was on the Explorer it was all salt water pools and hot tubs. At least the main ones were. One good thing about that, they were drained, cleaned and filled everyday I think. I assume it is ocean water but it appeared very clean, so it may have been filtered. If you have kids, take swim goggles for sure.

When we were on Explorer (Jan 2004) we were told it was the first sailing where they filled the pools with FRESH water. Some type of experiment, not sure if they continued with fresh water or not. Unforunately one night we hit some rough seas, the one pool had 5 foot waves crashing out of it. Needless to say I'm sure after that they refilled with salt water.

So far as I know, it's filtered ocean water. Makes sense. It's the one resource they have plenty of and easy access to. I believe that even the drinking water is from the ocean (has be de-salinized and processed and tastes as good as the bottled stuff).

I work for a swimming pool company and thought this info. might be useful. There is a system that turns salt into a kind of chlroine. It makes the water very soft and gentle on skin,eyes and bathing suits. So wether you start with fresh water and dump in bags of salt or start with saltwater from the ocean the end result is the same.

Archived