Transatlantic Crossings - review/pics

pattikingswear

I don't know if anybody is interested, but we did two TAs last year, travelling westbound at the beginning of June and eastbound at the beginning of September. My nephew and niece were very keen on me keeping a blog so that they could see where we were and this turned into my website www.usatrip.co.uk - this contains (albeit slightly tongue-in-cheek at times!) pictures and thoughts about both crossings.

Having read through the forums, I thought this might be of interest to people considering travelling on QM2.

Patti

I don't know if anybody is interested, but we did two TAs last year, travelling westbound at the beginning of June and eastbound at the beginning of September. My nephew and niece were very keen on me keeping a blog so that they could see where we were and this turned into my website www.usatrip.co.uk - this contains (albeit slightly tongue-in-cheek at times!) pictures and thoughts about both crossings.

Having read through the forums, I thought this might be of interest to people considering travelling on QM2.

Patti

Patti,

I only read the QM2 and Amtrak to San Diego entries and thought they were very amusing. Are you on board again?

Thank you! It was fun writing it all - and a great trip.

We have booked for the full world cruise in 2010 Southampton to Southampton, which was how I got interested in cruisecritic.com - I've become addicted to reading all about different ports and cabins and now I've even started posting!

Patti

Im thinking of doing a transnalatic.

What are the port stops like?

Well, apart from two trips which coincide with July 4 and Memorial Day weekend which have a four day trip up the East Coast of USA the norm is just remaining in either New York or Southampton from 7am until sailing time at 5 or 5.30pm. But the sea days are marvellously relaxing

Patti

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful website. I look forward to meeting you while we are on our segment of the WC in 2010. Hey, this time next year we'll be on the QM2, its one way to get through the gloom and doom!

Patti

Hi Patti & Simon...I've just finished reading every word, and enjoyed every bit! It hit quite close to home.

I've been to most of the places you visited on your fabulous journey. Beatrice and I were aboard your Westbound crossing last June, and were mesmerised by the Maxtone-Graham Ocean Liner lectures. I lived in NY for over thirty years...traveled on most long distace Amtrak trains...lived on a aircraft carrier for two years...AND lived for over 20 years in Pacifica, CA, where my studio was a few blocks from your hotel, just off the beach. You were visiting touchstones of my life.

Also, to drive from Waterbury, VT to Mt. Washington, you drove past the small New England village where we now have retired.

Thank you for sharing...BUT, you would have to pay me a lot to attend any NASCAR event, especially in the incomparable Sonoma/Napa valleys.

Cheers,:cool:

Bob

Patti

We are doing a roundtrip TA in May, so I was compelled to read through this, very enjoyable indeed!!!! (even the 88 days in between)

Thanks for all the nice comments! We booked our 2010 world cruise because we so much enjoyed our TA crossings - realised that there was plenty to amuse us on the days at sea!

We also chose our cabin carefully - we liked the Britannia restaurant and decided that (for us) we did not need the extra floor space of the P/Q cabins as there is so much space on the ship that we spent very little time there. Also we liked the atmosphere of the Britannia Restaurant - we don't want caviar or lobster every night; in fact I particularly liked the Canyon Ranch selections - and the Queens Grill/Princess Grill seemed like long corridors with no view to speak of.

Our A3 cabin was perfect - close to everything, a short walk to the library, our balcony had lovely views with no obstruction - and we decided we didn't need any extras.

Anyway, we are looking forward to the world cruise and hope to meet lots of fellow cc'ers!

Patti

Archived