Diving in Belize, Costa Maya and Coz.

Pacsatech

It's my first cruise, and I havn't dived since I took the course in college. I'm 48, in good health, can swim and remember all the pool work stuff. Will anyone take me diving without a PADI card? I really want to dive, snorkeling just doesn't cut it. I'm on "Independence of the Seas". Thanks in advance!

It's my first cruise, and I havn't dived since I took the course in college. I'm 48, in good health, can swim and remember all the pool work stuff. Will anyone take me diving without a PADI card? I really want to dive, snorkeling just doesn't cut it. I'm on "Independence of the Seas". Thanks in advance!

You could do the Discover SCUBA course which would be a good refresher for you and does not require a certification. They give you about 30 minutes of instruction and then take you down to about 30 feet.

You will have a hard time finding anyone that would take you diving without a cert card.

You can probably get certified near where you live in one to two weeks and for about $150. I would recommend you do that before your cruise and then go on a real SCUBA trip.

Think it's time to visit your local PADI dive center. They can order you a duplicate C-card (they never expire) and set you up with a "refresher course" in their pool or open water depending on where you live. Then book a dive in Belize and Coz. Two really great dive places. BTW, most dive centers in the Caribbean won't let you dive if you haven't dove in one-two years. So it's important to get that refresher course and get a log book entry signed by the dive center. With that and your PADI card (along with some cash) you'll be all set for your cruise.

Randall

I signed up for the padi course offered on-board for $250. There is a little confusion on the web weather this is actually offered on my cruise, but we'll see. If not, they do have the intro to scuba where you do it all in one day. Sailing on March 1 on "Independence of the Seas". R.C. line. If I have to choose just the one port, should I dive Belize city, Costa Maya or Cozumel? Cheers! Neil.

Voyager of the Seas had a refresher course on board for $50 in January. We watched them for a while in the pool on the first day at sea. It looked pretty comprehensive. There were a number of people in the same situation.

If RC uses Dreamtime on Costa Maya, I would suggest bypassing that dive.

• 2 weeks later...

Our group (7) is also sailing on the RCCL Independence 3/29-4/4. Three of our group are certified and are doing the diving in Belize. From everything they have said - Belize is one of the best diving sites. I would also agree - you should get certified before the trip if possible.

Archived