Cave Tubing in Belize?

Rapsmac

We will be on the Valor in April. This is our first time in Belize and are unsure what the best excursion experience might be. We are considering the cave tubing. I will be travelling with my wife, mother-in-law, and my D-12; D-10; and S-10. Has anyone done the Cave Tubing with CaveTubing.com? Is this the best company to do the cave tubing with or is there some place else that is better? Did you experience any problems? Do you pay ahead time or when you arrive? What attire is recommended? Any helpful info would be most appreciated. Thank you for your help!

We will be on the Valor in April. This is our first time in Belize and are unsure what the best excursion experience might be. We are considering the cave tubing. I will be travelling with my wife, mother-in-law, and my D-12; D-10; and S-10. Has anyone done the Cave Tubing with CaveTubing.com? Is this the best company to do the cave tubing with or is there some place else that is better? Did you experience any problems? Do you pay ahead time or when you arrive? What attire is recommended? Any helpful info would be most appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Been cave tubing numerous times... used the company you are referring to and also Major Tom (many threads on his services within this message board).....found that Major Tom was more professional IMHO, and was more concerned of safety in the caves than his competitor. His company also did a better narrative of what we were experiencing from the drive to the caves, the nature walk and then of course the descriptions of the formations inside the caves. We paid when we arrived. Bathing suit, water shoes or old tennis shoes you can afford to either leave for the locals or throw away !

Cave tubing is by NO MEANS a thrilling fast paced adventure.... more laid back and informative. I enjoyed our multiple tours when visiting Belize.

Good Luck in your decision of who to book with... you will be happy you did this tour when all is said and done ! :cool:

THANKS! I just checked out Major Tom's Website. I'll Save $40 ;) with his tour because his childrens price ends at 10 not 9. $20 per kid. Thank you! That savings pays for lunch.

I Love this web site!:)

Not only is the saving a great feature... I think you are getting a top notch tour. Make sure to email Major Tom if you have questions.... he is quick to respond to your questions.

Chicken and Rice and a coooool Belikin Beer... thats a slice of "heaven" !

Also a kids menu with chicken strips, burgers.... all cooked fresh to order.

Have a GREAT TIME !

THANKS! I just checked out Major Tom's Website. I'll Save $40 ;) with his tour because his childrens price ends at 10 not 9. $20 per kid. Thank you! That savings pays for lunch.

I Love this web site!:)

Can you please provide me with the website?

Bring beach shoes or you can rent them there for $3...Major Tom is great...(I think you are asking about their competitor?) I paid when I arrived...The walk to the beginning of the cavetubing is sort of long, so make sure your MIL will be okay with it!

As far as the half hour walk is concerned, will my water shoes be killing my feet by time we reach the cave entrance? (They were fine at Dunn's River Falls, but, your feet are soaked most of the time for that one.)

Thanks!

The water is actually crystal clear, as you will see when you enter the river. However, in the caves it looks black, because it's so dark in there. But, fear not................it's definitely not dirty water.

• 4 weeks later...

Booked last night and Just got a reply from Major Toms.

Question= One adult has knee problems and may not be able to make the trip. She never knows from day to day how or what she can do. She wants to decide the day we get there. So there may be only five of us. Is this a problem? Hi Ray - we get that situation with damaged legs or other infirmity from time to time - one good way to solve that will be to put her in a tube at the beginning of the entrance to the river/cave, pull her upstream, where she then joins the others coming from the other end, at the finale of the rainforest hike; always works well, with no strain at all. All I ask then is the guide who is applied there, would be absolutely happy to be "treated well". Want to try that?

This sounds great :),but I have a few questions.

Has anyone been towed? What did you tip? How much to be considered "Treated Well"? I would hate for the guide to feel stiffed.

Thanks for the help!

We did this excursion with cavetubing dot com and had a blast! Our best excursion so far! They are a great company and took great care of us. While walking down to the river, they came by and took all of the women's/children's tubes and anyone else who was having trouble. We were only in groups of 4 going down the river and our guide was very informative. We left on time and arrived back at the pier with plenty of time to spare.

Rapsmac, I would think around $20 would be a good tip for the towing, or at least $10. That is maybe a once in a lifetime trip and for him to even offer a way for it to be done is great. We went with Major Tom a couple of weeks ago, and it is something not to be misssed. We ended up tipping our guide, the bus driver and even another guide too. It was so beautiful and our best excursion of our ceuise.

We used cave-tubing dot com a week ago tomorrow & it's still vivid in my mind - we had an awesome time!! Our guides were very informative & fun on the bus ride, the walk through the Rainforest (I ate Termites! :eek::D) and the River & Caves themselves! If/when I go again I wouldn't hesitate a bit about using them again!!!

P.S. you pay after the excursion with them, not before, just so you know you got what you expected & I think they work a little harder knowing that ;)

I have bad knees and the walk to where you get in the water was very difficult. There was a young newlywed on our bus who was wheelchair-bound and they did put him in the river at the beginning and pulled him upstream to join his group. That is definately an option. Make sure you bring a water-proof camera with a flash if you want to take pictures inside the caves. If I were to do this again I would wear tennis shoes and just get in the river with them, the walk was not easy in water shoes. We used Major Toms, the guides were excellent but we were racing to get back to port in time for the last tender. The water is cool but after the walk in the heat it felt great. Have fun.

Archived