Cave Tubing in Belize?

Rapsmac

Okay...so what insect repellent works to keep the fire ants away?!!! I definitely need to know ahead of time...they seem to really like me, but I really hate them...LOL!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Paulette

Any type that has "Deet" in the ingredients.

Just back from Belize onboard the Legend. Here is the deal.

Major Tom is who we went with. This is an adventure expedition! Major Tom is a magnetic character and you will be greeted by him when you get off the ship. They want to be paid in cash if you did not do so in advance with PayPal. You will wait until stragglers come off the ship. You will be riding marginally air conditioned school buses. You will get a guided tour and learn about Belize. The poverty is readily apparent. A long ride out to the foothills of the mountains where the caves are is exciting. Saw cavetubing.com bus get run off the road! Stopped at convenience store to get water, beer, snack, whatever. Last group of buses to arrive at Park. Guides were great. Colorful characters and really prepare you for tour. Safety is a very high priority with them. You leave everything on the bus where is it is supposedly watched. I would bring as little valuables as possible. Rope jumping and mini-cliff diving to warm you up. An informative walk throug the forest. When you get to river 1 guide per 5-8 people max. They watch out for you with calls of "butts up" and steer you away from large obstructions. Perhaps the most revealing comment that I heard from a guest on another tour was "did you see how our guide left us?" On Major Tom, guide is with you all the way. Last group of buses to leave the park Got a boxed lunch of rice and stewed chicken leg with little meat on it. Be prepared to be on the last tender back to the ship. They tell you not to worry, buts its hard not to as you see the last tender time pass as you are on the bus. He does call ahead and let the tender guys know hes coming. I would not want to be stranded in Belize City. All worked out in the end. It kind of added to the adventure of it all.

So would I do this again? Once is enough. But if you are looking for a truly unique adventure in a third world country, Major Tom is the way to go. If you want the deluxe luxury tour go with one of the smaller outfits that puts you in a 10 passenger van. Other than a dive or snorkle experience there isn't much to do in Belize, as it is a limited port. Good luck! ( water level still low as they have not reached height of rainy season)

Same exact experience through Coral Breeze, except we did two caves and were taken to another nice spot for lunch. We also went in a small van with too much AC. lol

Well worth it!

Okay...so what insect repellent works to keep the fire ants away?!!! I definitely need to know ahead of time...they seem to really like me, but I really hate them...LOL!!!

Thanks for the heads up!

Paulette

You just have to watch where you walk - I don't know of any repellant that works. If you get bitten by them, something with ammonia in it will take out the sting (I have been known to douse my feet with Windex!)

Ok, so, so far the differences I have been able to find are:

Price:

Major Tom: $45 cave tubing $6 lunch

Yhony: $45 cave tubing (I don't see lunch mentioned)

Coral Breeze: $59 cave tubing $7 lunch

Major Tom and Coral Breeze seem to offer the same lunch. Do they all go to the same caves?

Group Size:

This information I have gathered from reading the posts, not from experience.

Major Tom: 8 to a guide

Yhony: Up to 20 per guide

Coral Breeze: I believe I read these are smaller groups similar to Major Tom's

Does anyone have more specific information they can add???

Thanks BaseballMom, and everyone else for this info. Very helpful, as we were leaning toward Major Tom when we go to Belize on our next cruise. This helps confirm our decision. And I'm glad to know about bringing bug spray! Can't wait...

Ok, so, so far the differences I have been able to find are:

Price:

Major Tom: $45 cave tubing $6 lunch

Yhony: $45 cave tubing (I don't see lunch mentioned)

Coral Breeze: $59 cave tubing $7 lunch

Major Tom and Coral Breeze seem to offer the same lunch. Do they all go to the same caves?

Group Size:

This information I have gathered from reading the posts, not from experience.

Major Tom: 8 to a guide

Yhony: Up to 20 per guide

Coral Breeze: I believe I read these are smaller groups similar to Major Tom's

Does anyone have more specific information they can add???

Baseballmomof4,

I don't want to start a war as to whom is better, but I booked through Yahony and went last week and this is what I experienced:

1. Right from the cruise dock to the bus to the site. We did not wait around for other guests to fill other buses before we left.

2. Only 8 people per guide - that was their limit.

3. Chicken lunch afterwords (I think it was $5 and maybe $6).

4. Back to the cruise/tender dock with about an hour and 15 minutes to spare.

While going through the caves I did see a another vendor whom had only 3-4 clients. They were getting a lot of one on one attention (far more than Tom or Yahony). If this is the Coral Breeze group and you want a lot of attention, that is for you.

Hope this helps.

Baseballmomof4,

I don't want to start a war as to whom is better, but I booked through Yahony and went last week and this is what I experienced:

1. Right from the cruise dock to the bus to the site. We did not wait around for other guests to fill other buses before we left.

2. Only 8 people per guide - that was their limit.

3. Chicken lunch afterwords (I think it was $5 and maybe $6).

4. Back to the cruise/tender dock with about an hour and 15 minutes to spare.

While going through the caves I did see a another vendor whom had only 3-4 clients. They were getting a lot of one on one attention (far more than Tom or Yahony). If this is the Coral Breeze group and you want a lot of attention, that is for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Hurry!

I am not trying to start anything either, just wanted first hand information that directly compares these three to help make a good decision. Sounds to me like all three are capable of providing a wonderful experience, but I don't need to be fawned over and don't like it so my business will probably go to Yhony or Tom. Thanks again!!

People are always extremely happy with Yhony & Major Tom as well, I don't think you can go wrong.

Coral breeze doesn't go to lunch at the same place as MT, they drive you to another location to avoid crowds. It was a chicken, black beans and rice lunch. They do two caves. I don't think MT does both. I found the first cave to be so peaceful, while the second one was filled with tubers.

We were back in time to shop for about an hour.

People are always extremely happy with Yhony & Major Tom as well, I don't think you can go wrong.

Coral breeze doesn't go to lunch at the same place as MT, they drive you to another location to avoid crowds. It was a chicken, black beans and rice lunch. They do two caves. I don't think MT does both. I found the first cave to be so peaceful, while the second one was filled with tubers.

We were back in time to shop for about an hour.

I was with MT in September, we did 2 caves.

Baseballmom - Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were starting anything. It seems as though at times, this board becomes a war of "which vendor is better"

As to the issue of two caves vs. one, I think this might depend on your excursion. I know if you plan to go both ATV riding and tubing, you are not going to go through both caves as their simply is not enough time to do both full activities.

Honestly, I had 4 teenagers with me and the ATV ride and one cave was enough for them:)

Baseballmom - Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were starting anything. It seems as though at times, this board becomes a war of "which vendor is better"

As to the issue of two caves vs. one, I think this might depend on your excursion. I know if you plan to go both ATV riding and tubing, you are not going to go through both caves as their simply is not enough time to do both full activities.

Honestly, I had 4 teenagers with me and the ATV ride and one cave was enough for them:)

We just want to tube and maybe have enough time to shop so we should be all set. Thanks again for the info, and I know what you mean about how the board can get a little rambunctious at times LOL!

Archived