Rome or Venice Post Cruise?

We are deciding between 2 cruises this summer. One ends in Rome without stopping in Venice, the other ends in Venice having already stopped in Rome for a day. We ( wife and 2 teenage kids) have 3 days post cruise before we head back home. Assuming the same cruise value, what cruise would you chose?

It would be a shame to miss Venice; however, you probably don't need three days there. You might want to end in Venice and spend one day. You can then take the train to Rome and fly out of there. One day in Rome will hardly do it a proper visit.

While planning our Med cruise I see we can't really do Rome much justice in just one day.

I'd sure like more time in Rome but I wouldn't miss Venice as it is so unique. I think your kids would find it very memorable. Maybe like the other poster said train it back to Rome.

I agree that three days in Venice is far too much and one day in Rome is not nearly enough. We were in Rome for a second time this past November for 5 days and could have easily stayed longer. It's a tough call....Venice is perfect for an overnight so if you could then hop the train to Rome you'd really have the best of both worlds....Marty

Venice via cruise ship is unbelievable - whether coming or going....so please include Venice in your travel plans. I don't know if three days is too many or not as I have only been there a day and a half each time that I have cruised, but, that being said, both my husband and my daughter (18) opted to go in early this year to spend extra time in Venice vs. staying over in Rome. JMHI! You'll have a wonderful time whatever you decide!

We are deciding between 2 cruises this summer. One ends in Rome without stopping in Venice, the other ends in Venice having already stopped in Rome for a day. We ( wife and 2 teenage kids) have 3 days post cruise before we head back home. Assuming the same cruise value, what cruise would you chose?

Since you haven't made your plans yet, where does the cruise begin that ends in Venice? Is it Barcelona?

If it were me- I would always do two nights pre-cruise in the city that the ship leaves out of. This way you don't have to worry about missing the ship and you get some decent sleep and conquer your jetlag.

Then I would do one night post-cruise in Venice. It will be enough.

I guess that you are asking for preference. There are several early summer and late summer sailings of the Ruby Princess between Barcelona and Venice that also visit Monte Carlo, Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples (Pompeii/Amalfi coast), Mykonos, Istanbul, Kusadasi (Google Ephesus), Athens, and then to Venice. I really don't understand the"two days" as per your schedule, but I agree with others that a couple of days pre-cruise to clear the cobwebs, then maybe a couple of nights before the return home. I've noticed that cruises that start in Venice on some cruises include two half days and one whole day on the ship which would be useful. This sort of experience provides a wide exposure to teenagers and would be a great family experience and a super maturational experience.

If you look at this itinerary and are interested, I've compiled a large resource list that I can email to you and you could share with your children for their "research." Can you schedule as early as 28 May? This specific cruise has experienced two major price reductions in the last couple of months and the Ruby is a new ship this year (just started in service in the Caribbean this winter).

Hope this helps,

David

traveltoports@yahoo.com

Archived