GTY Cabin Questions

PyrHeaven

Hey everyone!!!:D Just booked the 12 nt Repo from New Orleans to Boston on the Spirit. I'm super duper excited about it! I just have a few questions regarding guarantee cabins since this is my first time booking one. From what I understand, it's a gamble...but to me...an inside is an inside!!!

Since it was a pretty last minute booking, there was only a choice of two cabins in Cat. JJ...the highest inside cat. left. My TA pointed out that neither of the cabins were in that great of a location, so I went with the GTY.

Questions! Questions! Questions!

When do they usually assign a GTY cabin?

I heard that once they assign it, they can take it away and reassign it again. If so, do you usually move down a category...or up!?;) I suppose there is no way of telling on this question though...haha

I swear I had another question...but I dont remember it! So this is all for now.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Sometimes they assign a cabin almost immediately, other times not til much later, depends on how the bookings are going. They will not move you down, that's why it's called a guarantee...you will get at least the lowest cabin in the category you booked and here in lies the caveat. Be sure that you will be happy with the the supposed worst cabin in the category you booked because you could end up there. You might get an ok cabin, or even a really good one, but that's the risk when you book a guarantee.

Personally, I like to know exactly where I'll be. Compare the cabins that the TA says aren't the greatest to the worst in in your booked guarantee category and see if you can live with that possibility.

We've sailed with GTY 2 or 3 times and have always gotten a pretty good cabin, in fact, we got a handicapped cabin once in a great location. The cabin and the bath were both huge! The shower was so big, you could shower without closing the curtain and still not get water outside of the shower (I hate those clingy curtains!).

We like inside cabins and we love to cruise and with out budget those 2 go together quite well! LOL We spend quite a bit of time in our cabin and still prefer an inside - the smaller space just makes for a good excuse to stay close together and cuddle. :)

Enjoy your cruise.

I chose a 'run of the ship' a/k/a gty when I booked on the Triumph years ago. Bought the bottom inside and got top deck inside. It was great! Found out when we got to the pier. Only thing was the rep thought it was a balcony but it wasn't. DH loved the inside. (only time we had an inside)

It's can be exciting not knowing where you will wind up.:)

We've booked two guarantees and both times had great locations. One was an OV guarantee, and the room was a nice OV. The other was an inside guarantee and we were upgraded to an OV...we did not know that assignment until we got to the pier.

if bookings are going strong they will start their upsell process which usually involves moving suites to courtyard villas etc. minis to full suites, balconies into the vacated minis, and so on.

They seem to like to have cheap inside cabins available after final payment to be sure the ship is sold out, you see. That's what makes a guarantee a neat deal if you can live with any cabin. You may get upgraded without an upsell to a higher category and even to a higher ocean view or balcony. Just don't count on it.

Is your guarantee for a JJ? or is it a general inside GTY? If it's JJ and they get sold out (as you say, there are only two jjs remaining), they have to move you up to ocean view, possibly obstructed. If it's for any inside, you just don't know what they'll give you.

One interesting point is that you may not buy a guarantee if you have more than 2 people in your cabin, because they can't guarantee that a cabin that will sleep more than 2 will become available.

Good luck to you! Let us know what they assign.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been checking my cabin assignment intently for the last few weeks, and they finally assigned one! Yayyy! I was assigned a Cat F OV. That is 6 categories higher than what I purchased! I'm super excited! Thanks to everyone for filling me in on the wonderful world of guarantees. :D

I'm so glad for you. Nice that you got it now BEFORE you leave.

Guess maybe they ran out of rooms. WTG!!:D

I was thrilled when I did the 'run of the ship' and got a great

cabin ALL THE WAY UP ON A HIGH FLOOR. Loved paying little

for lower floor and getting a fanstastic deal in the end. :D

Enjoy it.:D

I have been checking my cabin assignment intently for the last few weeks, and they finally assigned one! Yayyy! I was assigned a Cat F OV. That is 6 categories higher than what I purchased! I'm super excited! Thanks to everyone for filling me in on the wonderful world of guarantees. :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Not to put a damper on your good news, but should this entice you to book GTY more often, the day will come when you don't get an upgrade AND you're in a cabin that you hate. i.e., all the way forward or aft or above the disco or some other such thing. But in the meantime, enjoy this wonderful cabin you've been assigned

I did balcony GTY, once. That's when I realized how much I hate forward cabins, long walk to every flippin' thing I wanted to do :eek:. Granted I might do a mini-suite GTY, at least they're all on deck 11 and and any upgrade from a mini is just plain awesome :)

Archived