Panama Canal Volcano Excursions

vabeach522

Has anyone that has taken either the Tabacon Hot Springs and Arenal Volcano OR the Poas Volcano National Park execursion with Celebrity during a canal transit? Would you share some information on either one?

Are you more likely to see some lava on one over the other? We have a little guy that is studying volcanoes. We're doing the transit over Christmas and although I dread the longgggg bus ride to do either of these, I would definitely take one if we can spot some lava (either sliding down the side or even into the sea). Can anyone tell us about your experience in either of these Celebrity excursions? I've looked on the port board and don't see much help there. Thanks!

As a professional Trash Man, I love Lava, it's the only thing that gets the dirt off my hands at the end of the day, I never knew that came from a Volcano, thank you so much, I learn something new everyday on here!

Lou, if you were me, would you give it up, wake up at 4:00am, hanging off the back of the truck, the wind in your face, the smell of trash in the air, it's almost as good as sex! (from what I remember)

Do it! The central American zone is very active right now, and activity is almost assured.

I haven't taken the ship tours there, but I study volcanos and earthquakes as an amateur geologist, and can tell you that Arenal is currently eruptive...it has been emitting frequent ash bursts, and basaltic lava flow down two flanks. Other volcanoes in the region have been very active, signalling an increase in lava movement under the plate convergence zone - Santa Maria and Fuego in Guatemala and Colima in Mexico have all had regular and continued lava flow and eruptions over the past several weeks. Tectonic activity in the area has been very high as well, with a 6.5 earthquake in San Jose Costa Rica, and a 6.2 off shore Guatemala in the past week.

There is a very strong chance that Arenal will continue in some eruptive state when you go there...and is a beautiful conical volcano even when not erupting. Check out http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/current_volcs/current.html for current volcanic activity worldwide, and a summary of any volcano (you can see Arenal by clicking on its name in the list). Also, to see current worldwide tectonic activity (earthquakes) up to the minute, check out http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/bulletin.html.

These are great government or educationally run sites (I think I'm allowed to post informational links as long as there is no promotion or advertising) and are very useful when traveling anywhere in the world.

I traveled last week to the southern Leeward islands to see the many currently quiet volcanoes down there, and hoping to catch a glimpse of the active Montserrat volcano Suofriere Hills (alas, too many clouds that day we passed)...but was surprised to see that the week I got back there was a significant 6.3 earthquake just off Guadeloupe that was deadly, injuring dozens and destroying some buildings and houses on at least 2 islands...it was felt on every island from St. Lucia to St. Kitts and Barbuda, and there have been at least 7 aftershocks measuring over 4.0 on the richter!

Anyway, I strongly encourage any opportunity to see an active volcano, and you are in a particularly lucky and active time!

Hi,

We've done the Poas Volcano tour with Celebrity on a Canal transit sailing. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

It's more likely that you will see activity on the Arenal volcano, but the Poas is still an interesting tour. You needn't worry about the long bus ride from the coastline. Celebrity's tour operators handle it well, make many stops, and the countryside and villages of Costa Rica are fascinating in and of themselves.

BTW, we live in the shadow of N.America's most active volcano, Mt. St. Helens. It is extruding lava/magma at present at the rate of a dumptruck load per second.

Have a great cruise!!

CM

BTW, we live in the shadow of N.America's most active volcano, Mt. St. Helens. It is extruding lava/magma at present at the rate of a dumptruck load per second.

Most active in the contiguous U.S. Alaska holds North America's most active volcanoes - the Aleutian chain of islands includes over 40 ACTIVE volcanoes! Mt. Spurr is currently eruptive, and usually Alaska experiences 2 eruptions every year. Also, Mexico is part of North America, and has two currently erupting volcanoes. Mexico's highly active Colima erupts every 3-5 years, and is currently erupting spectacularly since late September, with heavy lava flow down all four sides. The huge Popocatepetl, towering 18,000 feet and sitting over Mexico City, has been smoking and shaking since 1996. Of course, we can't forget our friends in Hawaii, with the World's most active and prolific volcano, Kilauea...active since 1983 and producing over 200 hectares of new land since that time!

Sorry...I just love volcanoes. How is life near St. Helens now? Can you see the summit from where you live, and how often have you been noticing emissions from it? Also, are you within the expected southern ashfall area, or north of the mountain? I hope you have had the opportunity to travel to the St. Helens observatory to witness this fantastic event...the lava dome has really been growing at a fantastic rate, and an eventual relief of the pressure and possible collapse of the dome seems inevitable...this time in a much safer manner than in 1980.

CelebrityMan - Yikes! Dumptruck load per second! Perhaps we should cancel our cruise and come and see you. lol! When you went to Paos, were you taken to a viewing platform that you could look down into the volcano? If so, what did it look like?

Zackiedawg - Thanks for the info and the sites. Sounds like we'll not only have a full moon during our cruise, but also a chance at "hearing" some seismic/volcanic activity.

Has anyone actually gone on the Arenal volcano tour and can tell me if the actually made a stop somewhere to see the volcano or if you had to treck across Tabacon to get to a vantage point? If the latter, could you see or hear anything? Thanks

Vabeach522,

We went on the Paos tour and we really didn't see anything beacuse of the fog. When we drove into the parking lot the tour guide told us to run - as fast as we could to get to the viewing platform. It seems like the fog rolls in quite often and he was hoping we could get glimpse of the the caldera. But, alas, we were too late.

By the postcards, you do get to see some dramatic views from the overlook (if you miss the fog).

You might as well try one of the tours, what have you got to lose?

VAbeach522,

Yes, she's putting out quite the volume of extruded magma: 8 cubic meters per second.

As to the Paos viewing platform, we were quite fortunate to have a fogless view into the caldera. The guide said that it's very rare to be able to see beyond the crater, to the sea, but that such would be a truly spectacular view.

The caldera itself is quite colorful, various shades of reds, browns, reds, etc., stratified and interesting. There were steam vents and a definite scent of sulphuric gas in the air. It rather reminded me of some of the smaller craters in Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island in Hawaii.

Enjoy your trip!

CM

Archived