cave tubing with 6 year old?

MomtoCCC

Hi Kellye!

We took our 6 and very petite 9 year old both cave tubing with Major Tom on 2/18 and they loved it. They have smaller tubes for the kids. The guide helped carry the kids tubes.

It is a pretty long walk into the caves. Our six year old was fine but the 9 year old (who has heart defects and not much stamina) ended up getting a piggy back ride from me for some of the walk.

Unless you have a very timid child, I don't think the caves will scare them. Everyone (even the kids) has a headlamp on which gives them a sense of control and they put the kids at the front of the group directly behind the guide and in front of you with your legs hooked under their arms so they feel secure. Major Tom's group focuses on the mystique of the caves and how special they were to the Mayans and doesn't in anyway try to make it "scary." When you come of the caves, the ride down the river through the jungle is truly beautiful.

We also ziplined - while it is not one of the best lines I've done it was perfect for children as they take care of all of the hooking and unhooking and the kids don't even have to brake - the guides on each stand just catch them when they come in.

My girls both loved it - the cave tubing/zipling in Belize and swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman were by far their favorite excursions (and ours too).

We would also highly recommend Major Tom's group. Loved our guides (all of them). They LOVE their country and are very proud of it. It was fun to see it through their eyes.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Thanks for the input - that is great to hear. I think she will like it just fine and I was planning on using Major Tom. THe zipline sounds fun but I don't think DH will like it and it might be too much for dd - maybe another time.

Which company did you do the rays with in Grand Cayman? I wasn't sure if she would like this either.

What did you do with your girls in Cozumel (assuming you went there)

Thanks again.

My son and I went cave tubing when he was 7 (he's small for his age)...he loved it! Now, my friend's son, who was 6, was a little scared of the dark when we all shut our lights off but not to where he was crying or anything. You can always keep your light on and just put your hand over it for a second to see how dark it is.

We also did the stingrays in Grand Cayman that same year. The water was a little rough so he was on my hip for part of it but then got in the water when he felt a little more comfortable. We used Nativeway Watersports for this trip and they were great!

My son hasn't been to Cozumel yet but we are going in 24 days!! We are doing a dolphin swim at Chankanaab(?) Park. Right now it's 30% off for Carnival passengers on their website.

Hope that helps a little with your planning! Have a great cruise!!

Just a comment about the sting ray excursion in Grand Cayman...........in 2007 we did this with Moby Dick tour company. They have a great website, if you want to check it out, a quick search should bring it up. The guides were young and hip, and fun. It's a great excursion, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Archived