NCL Dawn excursions

cruisechic50

Just back from a great trip. Excursion to Cayo Levantado was a disappointment to say the least. One should opt for excursion to Playa Rincon through the ship or a taxi on your own. We took a tour in St. Thomas and regretted not taking time to put our feet in the water at Megan's Bay which is nothing short of drop dead gorgeous. Because of weather we did not go to Great Stirrup Cay and instead went to Nassau. If this happens to you, book the Seahorse catamaran and snorkle trip. Great crew and the snorkling was awesome! If you have a chance, pay the $10.00 and experience the Impressions Restaurant on board. It is wonderful! cruisechic50

I am so sorry you did not enjoy C.L. We loved it when we went there. Megans Bay is pretty. I went there with a friend years ago. We were at St. Thomas for 8 days and one day we took off and went over to the bay. We were the only ones there for HOURS and we enjoyed it. We like Trunk Bay on St. John's better, but if someone did not want to go to another island to get to a beach, Megans Bay is very nice.

Just back from a great trip. Excursion to Cayo Levantado was a disappointment to say the least. One should opt for excursion to Playa Rincon through the ship or a taxi on your own. We took a tour in St. Thomas and regretted not taking time to put our feet in the water at Megan's Bay which is nothing short of drop dead gorgeous. Because of weather we did not go to Great Stirrup Cay and instead went to Nassau. If this happens to you, book the Seahorse catamaran and snorkle trip. Great crew and the snorkling was awesome! If you have a chance, pay the $10.00 and experience the Impressions Restaurant on board. It is wonderful! cruisechic50

Are you able to tell us why Cayo Levantado was a disappointment for you? I am on the Dawn in 3 weeks and would be interested to hear your reasons. Thanks so much!:)

cpcanuck

I have a guess what the problem is from some of the latest reviews. MSC is stopping at Cayo Levantado. Went to www.cruisett.com and looked at the Dominican Republic. The Dawn is listed under Samana, but the MSC ships are listed under Cayo Levantado. This is the port for MSC (a free tender). So according to cruisett for March Tuesdays besides the Dawn MSC has 1 ship and a 3,013 port load on 3/30 (my week :(). For 3/23 no MSC. On 3/16, same as 3/30. For 3/9 no MSC. Then the lucky :rolleyes: ones next week on 3/2, Two(!) MSC ships and a port load of 5,082. :eek:

Also MSC arrives 30 minutes before the Dawn; expect they get first pick of the beach chairs. MSC will also be offering excursions that appear to be close to what NCL is offering. Though I did not see Playa Rincon on their web site.

There were 3 ships at Cayo levantado at once and we were told later that there is usually 500 passengers and that day there were over 1000! We didn't even have a place to sit as every chair and lounge were taken and we were on the first tender of the day. Be sure and take a towel as the chairs are covered in mildew. The beach is not a pretty white beach with blue water that you would expect. In fairness they had a lot of rain the week before and said that that had cloudy the water. You also could not get a tender back to the ship until late in the afternoon. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

We're cruising on the Dawn - March 21 and have also booked a trip to cayo levantado. Doesn't sound too good according to your review. Everyone has different tastes. I'm going to look into a trip to playa rincon, see what's offered there.

Archived