newbie question TA vs. going direct

lisid

Hi, I'm a newbie to this cruise stuff...in the past for any trip I've always booked flights/cars/hotels direct, but I've noticed most people on here refer to their TA...is there a benefit to using one instead of booking direct with NCL?....Sidenote...this site is SOOOOO addicting!:eek:

Hi, I'm a newbie to this cruise stuff...in the past for any trip I've always booked flights/cars/hotels direct, but I've noticed most people on here refer to their TA...is there a benefit to using one instead of booking direct with NCL?....Sidenote...this site is SOOOOO addicting!:eek:

Good question. And yes, I'd have to agree with you this site is very addicting.

I've heard others mention that a good TA will get you a bottom line cost on a cruise and will go to bat for you against the cruise line in the event something goes wrong with the reservation. A TA carries a lot of punch since they bring multiple bookings to a cruise line, whereas a single person with their one booking may not be able to accomplish what a TA can. A TA also has their own incentives to book such as prepaid gratuities that can be combined with whatever incentives a cruise line is offering at the time of booking.

Thanks! Also wondering about the pre-paid tipping which NCL told me I had to do..I'll also be tipping on board but now I don't know what a good tip on board would be???? Sorry I'm such a newb!

Thanks! Also wondering about the pre-paid tipping which NCL told me I had to do..I'll also be tipping on board but now I don't know what a good tip on board would be???? Sorry I'm such a newb!

Your daily service charge of $12 per day per person will be charged to your onboard account - which is normally secured with a credit card. It isn't prepaid. This covers room stewards, waiters, and other staff with a few exceptions. If someone does something above and beyond, you can give them a separate gratuity, but for almost all intents and purposes, the $12 per day is sufficient.

We just recently booked our first cruise. I found out a few things.

We could not get get better prices from a brick and mortar TA than with direct booking. I think that varies from area to area, and most likey with the cost of the cruise, so make a few phone calls to find out.

Most of the on-line agencies were businesses I'd never heard of. And once they added their fees onto the cost, they were only within a very few dollars of booking direct. For me, that was a no-brainer, don't use a bussiness you don't know, when you can book direct for the same price.

One large, well known on-line agency could have saved me just under $100.00 total for my wife and I. I said the heck with it, and booked direct. Had the savings been large, I would have booked with these folks. It is an inexpensive cruise, and while I'm not made of money, I didn't feel like throwing a middle-man into the mix for a savings of only $90.00. But, that's me. By the way. NCL had told me previously that if I booked with a TA, any questions or concerns I had would have to be handled by the TA. For 90 bucks, I wasn't interested in lengthy delays to email requests, or mixed up clerks mixing my request up with someone elses'. Don't want to be cynical, but that stuff happens a lot in all businesses.

On a side note. We were considering a Carnival cruise. I went to their web page and checked prices. I left my addr and phone # with them. A few days later, one of their agents called, and was giving us incentives to sign up right then. Nothing to make my jaw drop, but they were trying.

We just recently booked our first cruise. I found out a few things.

We could not get get better prices from a brick and mortar TA than with direct booking. I think that varies from area to area, and most likey with the cost of the cruise, so make a few phone calls to find out.

Most of the on-line agencies were businesses I'd never heard of. And once they added their fees onto the cost, they were only within a very few dollars of booking direct. For me, that was a no-brainer, don't use a bussiness you don't know, when you can book direct for the same price.

One large, well known on-line agency could have saved me just under $100.00 total for my wife and I. I said the heck with it, and booked direct. Had the savings been large, I would have booked with these folks. It is an inexpensive cruise, and while I'm not made of money, I didn't feel like throwing a middle-man into the mix for a savings of only $90.00. But, that's me. By the way. NCL had told me previously that if I booked with a TA, any questions or concerns I had would have to be handled by the TA. For 90 bucks, I wasn't interested in lengthy delays to email requests, or mixed up clerks mixing my request up with someone elses'. Don't want to be cynical, but that stuff happens a lot in all businesses.

On a side note. We were considering a Carnival cruise. I went to their web page and checked prices. I left my addr and phone # with them. A few days later, one of their agents called, and was giving us incentives to sign up right then. Nothing to make my jaw drop, but they were trying.

Big Steve,

Maybe you should give someone a chance before talking about long delays and mix-ups as not all agents or agencies are like that.

there are several excellant online agencies that give great specials, OBC or lower rate by inserting you into a group. AND charge no fees, And watch the fare constantly and adjust it down if there is an opportunity to do so or get up an upgrade, calling you first.

Did I mention they charge no fees?

What you lose is the ability to contact the cruise line directly about anything, you must go through the TA.

You can also book direct to get whatever special a cruiseline may offer then at a later date transfer the booking to your favorite agent to get whatever perks they are offering as well.

That is the way I normally book mine.

I always book with my TA. It is always less expensive!! And the service I get is great. They work really hard for their money....

I also book directly with my travel agent AFTER doing some research online myself so that I am able to give the TA a good idea of exactly what it is we want. On the 3 cruises we have done the TA has been able to get an even better price (in CDN $ !!) than any of the online booking sites or NCL.:D

Big Steve,

Maybe you should give someone a chance before talking about long delays and mix-ups as not all agents or agencies are like that.

You quoted my whole post, but it boils down to that? LOL I was speaking of business in general.

We each have our life experiences. I for one, am tired of low paid clerks fumbling the ball in so many businesses. $90.00 is not worth the aggrivation to me to even try. $300.00. $500.00, $1000.00? Sure, I'll try.

Archived