formal night???

faith1

Just curious, I have read some conflicting threads on this!! Are there any formal nights on an eastern carribean dawn cruise???

If you are cruising on an NCL ship, there are no formal nights on any of their cruises. There are "dress up optional" nights (1 or 2, depending on the length of your cruise), where you can dress up if you want to, and one of the 2 main dining rooms is set aside for folks who want to dress up. And generally folks in jeans or "too casual" wear are turned away and sent off to the other dining venue. Otherwise, "resort casual" is the NCL dress code for dinner.

If you are cruising on an NCL ship, there are no formal nights on any of their cruises. There are "dress up optional" nights (1 or 2, depending on the length of your cruise), where you can dress up if you want to, and one of the 2 main dining rooms is set aside for folks who want to dress up. And generally folks in jeans or "too casual" wear are turned away and sent off to the other dining venue. Otherwise, "resort casual" is the NCL dress code for dinner.

To my knowledge, this isn't true. No dining room is designated for those that dress up. As long as NCL's dress code is met (no shorts, tank tops, etc) everyone is allowed into the dining rooms. So people in tux's and gown's may very well be seated next to those in dockers and golf shirts. Not just on formal night, but every night, one dining room has a no jeans policy.

CG

• Administrators
To my knowledge, this isn't true. No dining room is designated for those that dress up. As long as NCL's dress code is met (no shorts, tank tops, etc) everyone is allowed into the dining rooms. So people in tux's and gown's may very well be seated next to those in dockers and golf shirts. Not just on formal night, but every night, one dining room has a no jeans policy.

CG

I agree with you CG, and believe this is NCL's policy on every ship I've sailed, and based on numerous posts here. But the post you quoted continues to be posted on every dress code thread. :rolleyes: I've never seen one dining room "set aside" for those "dressing up," and jeans are permitted in one dining room every night, and not permitted in the other one (and even that apparently sometimes has been ignored by maitre'd's onboard)

Way back when NCL first started its "freestyle" they designated one of the dining rooms for the formal nights, but back then jeans were not allowed in any of the dining rooms in the evening. Now, as others have posted they have "dress up or not" nights, but the every day standard is still the rule. One of the main dining rooms is always "no jeans" but all the others on the ship (including the extra pay ones) allow jeans.

Its best to tell the truth, not lies. Resort casual wear is always welcomed at every dining room and restaurant every night. If you choose to dress up on the dress up or not nights, or any other night, feel free to do so.

Sorry..I did not intend to tell a lie. Just told what I experienced on my NCL cruise in October. Misunderstanding, not a lie.

No it is not impossible but I was seeing different view on this. Also being on different cruise lines that aren't considered resort casual you could wear jeans. I was just curious

On my recent eastern Carib cruise on the Norwegian Dawn, I wore nice jeans and a collared shirt in both restaurants, also referred to by NCL as "resort casual". Jeans were always welcome in both restaurants on the Dawn. On a seven night cruise they will typically have one "Dress Up or Not Night" where like someone else mentioned, you will see men in everything from tuxes (I saw two) to suits (quite a few) to Dockers and nice shirts.

Just dress like you would at a restaurant back home. No shorts of course, save those for the buffet.

No it is not impossible but I was seeing different view on this. Also being on different cruise lines that aren't considered resort casual you could wear jeans. I was just curious

That is why NCL allows one of the main dining rooms to have jeans worn whereas the other one don't, nor in any of the speciality restaurants, many of us consider jeans as casual, not resort casual.

That is why NCL allows one of the main dining rooms to have jeans worn whereas the other one don't, nor in any of the speciality restaurants, many of us consider jeans as casual, not resort casual.

I thought that was strange as well. NCL's own description of "resort casual" includes jeans. Every work related mixer I've ever been to advertised as resort casual would not include jeans as resort casual. I guess they're trying to change the definitions for the sake of Freestyle.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleDining

"Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women."

When in Rome...

Archived