Turtle farm and Hell

shand32783

Doing the Turtle Farm and Hell is easy on your own and they are not difficult to get to.

We wound up doing a tour there with Captain Marvins last week (Nov 15). We had originally wanted to book a Stingray City trip with them but all those trips had been cancelled that day due to high winds and rough water, though I heard that some excursion groups did go there (our ship's tour to Stingray City had also been cancelled that day). The cost to go to Hell and the Turtle Farm was about $20 per person with Captain Marvin and there were only 2 other couples on the bus besides us, so we wound up with almost a private tour.

I don't know what a car rental would cost you but you can use the $20 per person tour price as a guideline.

Shand- We went to Grand Cayman on the RCI Grandeur last week, and rented a cab. (very nice air conditioned van) For $15 apiece we had a great Cayman Island tour. We went to Hell, the turtle farm, rumcake factory, Governors house, and the "gingerbread house" Our driver was very informative, and not only took us to the aforementioned places but also toured a large part of the island. How sad it was to see the devistation wrought by Hurricane Ivan. The "tour" was over 2 1/2 hours long. If we had signed up for the same tour on the ship it would have cost us $30 each, and not have been nearly as personal. Hope this helps. :D

Did you go through a specific cab company that you recall? Did you pay at the end? I would hat e to pay in advance and then have tem split on me =)

Sotos has a similar excursion for 19.50 PP

Any other to do's while were out there?

Thanks for the input so far.

Shane

Shane- The "cab" that we used was independantly owned and operated. I did write the name of the owner/driver down and then promply lost it. We didn't pay until we were dropped off at the cruise ship dock. All of the "cabs" doing tours are licensed by the Cayman Government, and must meet a rigid inspection. Same goes for the driver. I understand that the waiting line for permits is quite lengthy and the owner/drivers are not gonna do anything to jepordize that license. Everyone left their "gear" in the van at each stop and felt quite comfortable doing so. Our driver did pull a "funny" one on us in Hell. While we were out looking at the rock formation he decided to go fill up with gas. ($4.00 a gallon) He left word with one of our group as to where he was going, and she promply ran out to us screaming that he had abandoned us there, and ran off with our stuff. Everyone panicked until she started laughing. Funny??? NOT!!!!! Anyway when ya go through the main gate at the dock, turn left and walk about a block. You will see the licensed "cabs" on the left side of the street. If ya have about six folks with ya you might be able to "dicker" with the driver for a lower price, or perhaps a shorter excursion.

Taxis

Taxis are readily available from the taxi stand at the cruise ship dock, all resorts, and Owen Roberts International Airport and offer a fixed rate per vehicle or per person. The cost of a taxi from George Town to the Cayman Turtle Farm is CI$ 16.00/US$ 20.00 up to three people (subject to change).

Public Transport

In October 1998, Grand Cayman launched its first-ever official public bus transportation system. The new bus terminal is located adjacent the Public Library on Edward St. in downtown George Town and serves as the dispatch point for buses to all districts. There are 38 mini-buses operated by 24 licensed operators, serving eight routes. Daily service starts at 6 a.m. from the depot and the schedule is as follows from George Town to West Bay: every 15 minutes, 6 a.m. - 11 p.m., Sunday - Thursday; 6 a.m. - midnight, Fri. & Sat. Fare is CI$1.50/US$ 1.88 each way (subject to change).

The new system uses color - coded logos located on the front and rear of buses to identify routes. Route 1 (yellow) while Route 2 (lime green) cover George Town to West Bay. Route 1 (yellow) goes directly by the Turtle Farm and Route 2 (lime green) will charge an extra CI$ 1.00/US$ 1.25 to stop at the Turtle Farm. Licensed buses are identified by blue license plates. To maintain consistency in fares, each bus must display a fare table outlining standard government-authorized fares. The hotline number for public comment and feedback is 945-5100.

Found this info on the Turtle Farm website and it is from the GC Gov't Tourist web site. Still does not say how long it takes to get there and back to George Town though. I am trying to find out info about taxis(price, how long it takes) to Hell. I am having difficulties finding a GC map with Hell, Turtle Farm, tender terminals on it! Saw one a while ago someplace!! Have a great cruise!

Lol!(I think!!) She was on that show which I never watched too much. WAS there a turtle episode?;or did you make just the "helen hunt" funny? Anyways-you sure can make some good funnies by talking about Hell(the town;not the afterlife place!!)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

mayrashke,

You can find a map of the Cayman Islands on the Cayman Islands Yellow Pages site---www.caymanislandsyp.com.

As with any telephone book you will have a few pages to leaf through. There is also a map with all of the bus routes on the island. As well, there is information on points of interest and dive sites etc. I enjoy reading telephone books!

Good luck.

Shand- We went to Grand Cayman on the RCI Grandeur last week, and rented a cab. (very nice air conditioned van) For $15 apiece we had a great Cayman Island tour. We went to Hell, the turtle farm, rumcake factory, Governors house, and the "gingerbread house" Our driver was very informative, and not only took us to the aforementioned places but also toured a large part of the island. How sad it was to see the devistation wrought by Hurricane Ivan. The "tour" was over 2 1/2 hours long. If we had signed up for the same tour on the ship it would have cost us $30 each, and not have been nearly as personal. Hope this helps. :D

TimmyII: do you know if any of the cabs were doing tours for an a specified period of time? Im interested in swinging a three hour tour or something so that we can hit a number of places. There are three of us, one of which is a child. I was hoping to slip the cabbie a 50 or so and keeping him or her for 3 or 4 hours.

Any on have any thoughts on this?

Brian

Brian-I really would be surprised if you found a Taxi that would chauffeur you around that long for ony $50. Wouldn't hurt to ask though. Its really gonna depend on how many ships are in port. The Grandeur was the last ship in port and there were a lot of cabs just looking for some kind of fare. My group didn't dicker as those poor folks had gone through hell and were deprived of their livelyhood for a long time.

Good grief mBisson after reading your post 5 times I finally got it!!!!crazy.gif DUH!!!!evillol.gif

It's actually pretty childish, but if you didn't get it, you were probably thinking something like "what's this idiot talking about?"

OK to anyone still wondering think "Helen Hunt for it" now think "Hell an hunt for it". Now GROAN.

-Monte

Thanks Monte for the clarification.....groan!!LOL ( I thought there was a turtle episode/something!!)

Prairie Girl- Thanks and I will check it out!

I posted info about how long it takes to get to Hell in the Hell thread.(20 min.by taxi from ?dock/downtown if no traffic problems).

Happy cruising everyone!

Archived