Q for the NCL pros's AA V A# on the pearl?

secondhand

So we are looking at AA vs A3 on the Pearl and would like feedback on "which you would choose" lol.

The AA is larger and has access to the courtyard area, but I was wondering if the winds on the deck got a wee bit too gusty to enjoy?

The A3 holds 5 PAX VS 2 PAX for the larger AA which is hard to get my head around as well?

Any other feedback from "those who know' :rolleyes: would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and great sailing!

The AA is much larger than the A3 - if I had to guess I would say about twice as large, but made just for a couple (well, except for the Sun). The AA has two rooms, plus a large bathroom and a half bath for guests. The A3 is actually 3 rooms, with 2 full baths, but the rooms are much smaller. For a couple, the AA setup makes a bit more sense - all the space is usable, while the second bedroom in the A3 kind of goes to waste. Inside the cabin, the living room is where you will notice the most difference - the AA's living space is larger and, in the case of the Pearl, more comfortable (I could never get comfortable on the living room sofa in the A3, preferring to watch TV in the bedroom). The bath in the A3 has better views, but they are both about the same size. As for balconies, the A3 just doesn't compare. The A3 has one small side balcony, the AA has a very large front balcony (which can get windy during sailing) and a side balcony about twice the size of the A3's. Since they both have courtyard access, it's a matter of convenience - in the A3, it is right outside your door, in the AA, you will have to take the elevator up. It's a personal choice; we prefer the AA - it seems more private and comfortable, but some may disagree.

Robin

So we are looking at AA vs A3 on the Pearl and would like feedback on "which you would choose" lol.

The AA is larger and has access to the courtyard area, but I was wondering if the winds on the deck got a wee bit too gusty to enjoy?

The A3 holds 5 PAX VS 2 PAX for the larger AA which is hard to get my head around as well?

Any other feedback from "those who know' :rolleyes: would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers and great sailing!

Where are you sailing? How many will be in your cabin?

DH and I sailed in an AA to the Mediterranean on the Gem. (I believe the Pearl and Gem are very similar in design.) The forward balcony was a perfect spot when we were in port and/or pulling into port. It was windy when the ship was at sea. For those times, the side balcony was a nice back up.

The AA has only one bedroom but does have 2 bathrooms. I don't think the sofa pulls out to a bed so the AA is ideal for 2 people only. If you have more in your sailing party then the A3 would be better. The A3 cabins have 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - great for a family. They also have access to the courtyard just like the AA cabins.

The perks for both cabins are very similar, however, the AA gets free booze (3 bottles) and free bottled water and soda (in room only) and the A3 cabins do not.

If there are only 2 in your party - I would go for the AA suite! ;)

Hope this helps a bit!

Happy cruising!

The AA is much larger than the A3 - if I had to guess I would say about twice as large, but made just for a couple (well, except for the Sun). The AA has two rooms, plus a large bathroom and a half bath for guests. The A3 is actually 3 rooms, with 2 full baths, but the rooms are much smaller. For a couple, the AA setup makes a bit more sense - all the space is usable, while the second bedroom in the A3 kind of goes to waste. Inside the cabin, the living room is where you will notice the most difference - the AA's living space is larger and, in the case of the Pearl, more comfortable (I could never get comfortable on the living room sofa in the A3, preferring to watch TV in the bedroom). The bath in the A3 has better views, but they are both about the same size. As for balconies, the A3 just doesn't compare. The A3 has one small side balcony, the AA has a very large front balcony (which can get windy during sailing) and a side balcony about twice the size of the A3's. Since they both have courtyard access, it's a matter of convenience - in the A3, it is right outside your door, in the AA, you will have to take the elevator up. It's a personal choice; we prefer the AA - it seems more private and comfortable, but some may disagree.

Robin

Tx Fish

Thats very helpful. Does the couch in the AA pull out to a bed? (I doubt it?). Also you mention the front balcony got windy but could you even use it while under sail, or was it to windy? (I assume the side balcony was always OK to use).

Tx for the great response.

Tx Fish

Thats very helpful. Does the couch in the AA pull out to a bed? (I doubt it?). Also you mention the front balcony got windy but could you even use it while under sail, or was it to windy? (I assume the side balcony was always OK to use).

Tx for the great response.

I've got lots of pictures of AA 9004 on the Pearl. Last May the couch did not make into a bed and you could only book 2 people into the AA.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563745682WfHIDH

Cruzin, you must have posted while i was typing, lol...unless you have esp you answered both my q's b4 i asked them!!;) Thanks 4 that. I g u e s s i t y p e s l o w :D

Bruno to the rescue again with the pics I see! Do u work 4 NCL?;) If not u should! Great shots to BTW.

We are not sure how many yet, it is just getting put together thus the Q's. I will have to agree that the AA is the answer for a couple, and yet the A3's seem to go faster? hmmm....maybe more than 2 people. Maybe the attraction of the courtyard being right there.

Cheers for the help.

We are not sure how many yet, it is just getting put together thus the Q's. I will have to agree that the AA is the answer for a couple, and yet the A3's seem to go faster? hmmm....maybe more than 2 people. Maybe the attraction of the courtyard being right there.

I am pretty sure it's for a few reasons: First, the A3 is a bargain for larger families or groups, and it isn't much more pricey than getting 2 separate small suites without courtyard access. Second, the AA is priced higher from the getgo, so that shies people away. Third, I think that people just don't "get" that the AA also has courtyard access - they see "Courtyard Villa" and they think "Ooooo, that sounds so nice!". Plus, they might think that with 3 rooms, the A3 is huge, which it really isn't in comparison to the AA.

BTW, the only AA's that I know will sleep more than 2 are on the Sun (pullout sofa) and the Dawn has a single AA that says it will accommodate 3. Keep in mind that if you book the Pearl AA, there is no way to separate the bed, so make sure your bedfellow is a close friend if not your partner ;)

The front balcony was nice enough that hubby sat out and read on several sea days. The partitions seemed to block a lot of the wind, so if you are standing at the very front, of course it was windy; lying on a lounge by the back was much less so. Also, you have to keep the drapes in the bedroom closed at night as to not shine light up into the bridge. I myself really only used the side balcony at sea, and was on the front only when sailing away or into a port. Plus, i totally forgot about the booze and sodas - a nice perk.

Robin

Cruzin, you must have posted while i was typing, lol...unless you have esp you answered both my q's b4 i asked them!!;) Thanks 4 that. I g u e s s i t y p e s l o w :D

Bruno to the rescue again with the pics I see! Do u work 4 NCL?;) If not u should! Great shots to BTW.

Cheers for the help.

Thanks, secondhand. No I don't work for NCL (but maybe I'd be able to cruise more often if I did).

We're just retired senior citizens who enjoy taking pictures, whether it's scenery, cruise food, or cabins. We do our yearly cruise to Alaska and that's about the extent of our cruising experience.:)

Brunolvr, do you have pics of an A3????

TIA

No, sorry, but we've never stayed in an A3. On our Alaska cruises we wouldn't take advantage of the courtyard because we like to be out on our balcony or out on deck or at least near a window so we don't miss any of the magnificent scenery so we haven't had any interest in an A3.

Although for our cruise in May on the Star we've booked an AB Suite since we need the 2 bedrooms.

Where are you cruising to? Is it just 2 of you or more?

In 2007 we really enjoyed our cruise on the Pearl in the Deluxe Owner's Suite A2 15500. Now that had the views and a huge private balcony with hot tub! Although it was a little windy way up on the 15th deck.

No, sorry, but we've never stayed in an A3. On our Alaska cruises we wouldn't take advantage of the courtyard because we like to be out on our balcony or out on deck or at least near a window so we don't miss any of the magnificent scenery so we haven't had any interest in an A3.

Although for our cruise in May on the Star we've booked an AB Suite since we need the 2 bedrooms.

Where are you cruising to? Is it just 2 of you or more?

In 2007 we really enjoyed our cruise on the Pearl in the Deluxe Owner's Suite A2 15500. Now that had the views and a huge private balcony with hot tub! Although it was a little windy way up on the 15th deck.

Tx for the response Brunolvr.....we are going to the Caribbean (hopefully);) It's great for the kids and we find the seas are usaully nice and calm.

If we end up with one I'll take some pics...hopefully they'll be as nice as yours! I think you have a talent for photography!

Cheers and happy cruising.

Tx for the response Brunolvr.....we are going to the Caribbean (hopefully);) It's great for the kids and we find the seas are usaully nice and calm.

If we end up with one I'll take some pics...hopefully they'll be as nice as yours! I think you have a talent for photography!

Cheers and happy cruising.

Also, the AB would be great with the kids if the A3 is priced too high. From what I understand the cabins are the same, just no use of the courtyard in an AB. I did find some pictures of an A3 on the Pearl that someone posted on webshots. Thought you might enjoy them.:)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570246375EPDtTT

Also, the AB would be great with the kids if the A3 is priced too high. From what I understand the cabins are the same, just no use of the courtyard in an AB. I did find some pictures of an A3 on the Pearl that someone posted on webshots. Thought you might enjoy them.:)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570246375EPDtTT

Wow thanks, thats very helpful.:)

I know we would want the Courtyard access, I can't imagine being on an NCL cruise without it!lol:D

Once you've done it there is no going back!

We've stayed in an A3 on the Pearl and it was Awesome! The MBR alone was worth the price of admission:D. It was just DH and I and we loved the extra room and the extra bathroom (which DH used). We never sat out on the balcony.

We spent the majority of our time in the courtyard and up on the Deck 15 sundeck.

Archived