Fort ?

sierras76

We are going to be in San Juan only for the day and we are trying to decide between the two forts. Are both of them with in walking distance from the pier or would it be best to get a taxi? What is the best one to see if we only can do one of them. I know that the Fort San Cristobol one looks cool from shows that I have seen. Also my dad has a bad leg so is one of the forts better for someone who has to take it slow with stairs and uneven paths.

We've been to both forts countless times.

I prefer El Morro. My wife prefers San Cristobal.

El Morro has more levels and may be more difficult for your father to navigate (though it has more ramps than stairs ... except to the lower level - only stairs).

San Cristobal is the larger of the 2, but El Morro _looks_ larger and more impressive.

Both are well within walking distance of the OSJ piers, though San Cristobal is closer.

You might consider catching the free trolley (going uphill) to your fort of choice and then walk back (downhill) to your ship. You'll see more of the city walking than riding.

We've written about both El Morro and San Cristobal forts for our vacation guide. Check it out.

Archived