Weather from Tampa to Cozumel/Costa Maya

Peace2U

I read a couple of posts where people said that the water was rough going from Tampa to the Yucatan Peninsula. Is this common? I'm kind of a worry wart, and I want to mentally prepare for this if it could be the case. Our cruise leaves in a month. How is the weather? I love my wavelets.

Sea conditions at anytime of the year are almost impossible to predict a month away. Having said that, my experience sailing the Gulf and Caribbean in late March/April has been just the opposite of what you have described.

The only time we have had really rough seas in the Western carib was JUST before hurricane Mitch really hit there. Waves were breaking over the bow of the small OceanBreeze. Roatan was hit hard and a tall sailing cruise ship - forgot its name- dropped all passengers off and went out to sea to ride out the hurricane. It was never heard from again. All crew was lost. Ships stay way away from any bad storms, never could figure out why this ship didn't just get out of the way.

The only time we have had really rough seas in the Western carib was JUST before hurricane Mitch really hit there. Waves were breaking over the bow of the small OceanBreeze. Roatan was hit hard and a tall sailing cruise ship - forgot its name- dropped all passengers off and went out to sea to ride out the hurricane. It was never heard from again. All crew was lost. Ships stay way away from any bad storms, never could figure out why this ship didn't just get out of the way.

That was the Fantome - a Windjammer line ship - and they did try and get out of the way but got cornered by the storm and couldn't escape. Mitch was a huge storm that changed direction a lot, and hurricane predicting wasn't as accurate then as it is now. I sailed the Fantome; she was beautiful. All they found of her was the staircase.

Archived