choosing between 2 different itineraries

kls23

I am trying to make a choice between 2 different cruises. One is a 10 day on Princess and the other is a 12 day on HAL. The price for the two cruises is comparable considering the extra nights. One big difference is in airfare as the 2nd itinerary does not return to the same city. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1st Itinerary:

Copenhagen, Denmark; at Sea; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland; Berlin, Germany; Helsinborg, Sweden; Copenhagen, Denmark

2nd Itinerary:

Copenhagen, Denmark; at Sea; Tallin, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden; at Sea; Berlin, Germany; Aarhus, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; at Sea; Rotterdam, Holland

I am trying to make a choice between 2 different cruises. One is a 10 day on Princess and the other is a 12 day on HAL. The price for the two cruises is comparable considering the extra nights. One big difference is in airfare as the 2nd itinerary does not return to the same city. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1st Itinerary:

Copenhagen, Denmark; at Sea; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg, Russia; Tallinn, Estonia; Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland; Berlin, Germany; Helsinborg, Sweden; Copenhagen, Denmark

2nd Itinerary:

Copenhagen, Denmark; at Sea; Tallin, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Helsinki, Finland; Stockholm, Sweden; at Sea; Berlin, Germany; Aarhus, Denmark; Oslo, Norway; at Sea; Rotterdam, Holland

I haven't done either one yet, I'm looking at next year. I'd go with HAL, if for no other reason than the size of the ship. The Princess ships carry too many passengers and is just too large for my preference. Plus we had a lot of mis-information or miscommunication on my Med cruise on Princess. Plus you get two extra days if the price is comparable. And look at it as a bonus that you could add two extra days in Copenhagen and 2 extra days in Rotterdam or Amsterdam.

Or I was looking at flying round trip Amsterdam and taking the train to Copenhagen/Rotterdam. But then I want to get as much bang for my buck after paying to get all the way over there.

We're booked on the HAL trip this summer and getting airfare to copenhagen and from Rotterdam was no big deal. We are even going into copenhagen a day early to see the sites. Book your own air- it's a lot cheaper.

JKW

We had to make a similar decision when we were deciding a Baltic cruise in 2007. We ended up selecting the HAL 12-day cruise (it was from Rotterdam to Copenhagen), because it included Oslo and it gave us more time in several ports.

We flew to Amsterdam instead of Rotterdam because it's a lot cheaper. It also gave us a chance to see Amsterdam. Rotterdam is only around one hour train ride away from Amsterdam. After the cruise, we spent a couple more days in Copenhagen before flying home. The plane ticket price was very close to round trip to/from Copenhagen.

Thanks to everyone. This is the choice that I actually made. 14-day cruise on Celebrity.

London, Copenhagen, Berlin, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Stockholm, Oslo, London

1st Itinerary:

2nd Itinerary:

Archived