Walk or take Trolley?

librarylady19

Century is in port for only a few hours. Is it worth taking a trolley tour or would we be better walking? Not sure of the distances in KW. Only must-dos are visiting Hemingway's Home, eating key lime pie and hopefully at least one bar stop (DH wants to go to Kellys).

Century is in port for only a few hours. Is it worth taking a trolley tour or would we be better walking? Not sure of the distances in KW. Only must-dos are visiting Hemingway's Home, eating key lime pie and hopefully at least one bar stop (DH wants to go to Kellys).

You can easliy walk this. You leave the docks keeping the big, red brick building on your left. The first cross street is Front and Whithead is across Front. Next is Greene, then Caroline. Kelly's is on the corner of Caroline and Whitehead (the entrance is farther along Whitehead about 20 feet.) Then Hemingway's house is at 907 Whitehead, six more blocks. Then you could walk back one block to Petronia and along Petronia to Thomas Street and Blue Heaven for Key Lime pie. Tell them you are just there for pie.

Pjk

• 1 month later...

We rented a guy to ride us around the island, he took us where we wanted to go, and waited for us to do a little shopping and take photo opportunities. If you're all the way to Hemminingway House, you should get a photo opportunity at the Southernmost Point too.

We bartered the price which was way longer than we had originally bartered for and Jason (our guide) still only asked for the original price...it was like $25.00. We paid him $35.00 and bought him a piece of key lime pie. He took us to his favorite place (which was out of the way) because he said it was the best on the island (Kermits).

Also, people on the cruise ship complained that the trolleys didn't stop at places and drop people off on that day....just described the places and kept on going. Maybe they were on the train and didn't realize the difference????

100_0560.jpg.5ba6de4dca51947859b52beb261f7d93.jpg

100_0566.jpg.d8898be06418f25d287cb9eb666446ec.jpg

We found them in front of the place with all the statues (right off the ship). You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there....:D

The three of us rode in the buggy while Jason, our driver, pedaled.

• 3 months later...
We rented a guy to ride us around the island, he took us where we wanted to go, and waited for us to do a little shopping and take photo opportunities. If you're all the way to Hemminingway House, you should get a photo opportunity at the Southernmost Point too.

We bartered the price which was way longer than we had originally bartered for and Jason (our guide) still only asked for the original price...it was like $25.00. We paid him $35.00 and bought him a piece of key lime pie. He took us to his favorite place (which was out of the way) because he said it was the best on the island (Kermits).

Also, people on the cruise ship complained that the trolleys didn't stop at places and drop people off on that day....just described the places and kept on going. Maybe they were on the train and didn't realize the difference????

Where did you find Jason and bike ricksaw? Would love that option, and was price per person?? THanks. p.s. I think for our cruise Destiny is near navy pier- will that affect finding someone like that?

• 2 weeks later...

The trolley, I understand it'll take you around Key West and is good for first-timers. I'm wanting to see lots of sights but know my time is limited in Key West since Destiny leaves port early in the afternoon. Is it reasonable to take the trolley to the furthest point from dock that we're wanting to see and then walk our way back?

thanks,

The trolley, I understand it'll take you around Key West and is good for first-timers. I'm wanting to see lots of sights but know my time is limited in Key West since Destiny leaves port early in the afternoon. Is it reasonable to take the trolley to the furthest point from dock that we're wanting to see and then walk our way back?

thanks,

Not at all. The trolley is around $30 and you can take a taxi (305-296-6666) for less than $10.

The Trolley is not a means of transportation really; but more of a slow narrated tour that will take up to two hours due to the stops, etc.

Mike:)

Archived