Anyone used Jaguar Paw for cave tubing???

southern cruising couple

We are still up in the air about what to do in Belize. We are thinking about doing the cave tubing and zip lining through Jaguar Paw. I found this on their website and it made me feel a little better>

"Any cancellation must be made by e-mail or phone toll free at 877-624-3770 two days prior to docking in Belize for a full refund. Full refund less 3% for cancellation made within 24 hours. No refund for no shows as arrangements for drivers and guides will have already been arranged. If your ship does not dock in Belize, the deposit is also fully refundable."

The last part is the best part. Hope this helps some of you! Like I said, we are still undecided. Too many things to do!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

We used Jaguar Paw on our November 2009 cruise. I can not stress how wonderful it was to book with them. We were suppose to meet a rep. at the hotel at 9am. The tendering process was a nightmare, and we never got to shore until 10:15am. Our driving was waiting for us:D..We only had a group of 5 (3 did zip lines and tubing, and 2 just did tubing). The zip line process took some time to complete and we just took photos of the other 3 while they were zip lining. From there, it was a short ride to Jaguar Paw resort. We got there, changed, got geared up and headed out. The walk was about a 20 minute walk with the tube, and very easy. Tubing took around 1 hour to float down the river. It was a blast. Once finished we changed, had our lunch (chicken/rice/salad/Coke or Sprite) and that was the only part that we felt rushed. The guide got us back to the pier with over an hour to go before the last tender to the ship. Our guide (I can't remember his name, but he has vast knowledge of Mayan history) was AWESOME. He made sure we got back to the pier in time (the free high speed ride through Belize was free:D)

Would totally book with them again, it was a wonderful day, even though it was rainy and damp for the most part. The water was not cold, it was refreshing.

According to the Jaguar Paw Website, here is the refund policy as of today:

Any cancellation must be made 2 days prior to docking in Belize for a full refund. No refund for no shows as arrangements for drivers and guides will have already been arranged. If your ship does not dock in Belize, the deposit is also fully refundable.

• 6 months later...
I'm amazed at how many people take the time to respond to questions here. I don't know how we ever took vacations before the internet!!!:D

I'm cruising to Belize on the 31st and have been googling and twittering friends for info on cave tubing. Everyone who's been on this trip says cave tubing is a must and zip lining is too. Royal Caribbean does offers the trip, but I found it on the Internet for much cheaper and I'm not buying the "you'll miss the boat" argument they keep pushing on me. I've been reading all of your posts and nobody has complained about being left behind, not once.

I haven't read any really bad reviews for Major Tom or cavetubing.com, or Jaguar Paw but I did compare the web sites for all three and have come to the following conclusions:

1. They all promise you won't miss your boat. (check)

2. All three charge roughly the same for cave tubing, which is half the price of buying on the ship. (check)

3. Only Major Tom and Jaguar Paw offer the zip line. cavetubing.com has ATV rides but that won't work for us because we're traveling with children. (check)

4. Jaguar Paw is closer to the caves. Everyone else uses the government park (check)

5. All three have confusing policies on refunds. This is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker for me since I'm used to being extorted by the airlines when I travel. Compared to a $150 rebooking fee, 3% for a refund sounds like a deal.

I checked the FAQs at http://www.rivercavetubing.com and found Jaguar Paw charges a 3% refund fee, but in another part of the same site, they say they don't charge any fee for refunds. Fire the webmaster! So I called their 800 number and talked to a fellow who I guess was in Belize and he said the policy was confusing because there is a 3% refund fee for hotel guests who cancel *rooms*, but not for cruise passengers:confused:. Confusing, but good enough for me.

I would have called Major Tom and cavetuinbing.com, but neither have an 800 number and my verizon plan apparently doesn't include international calls to Belize:mad: No I can't hear you now!

In the end, I chose Jaguar Paw because some of you said that they were much closer to the caves and less of a walk. I love hiking and I live in the mountains, but if I'm on a ship with 2,000 people and 500 are going cave tubing, then I want to get as far ahead of them as I can so I can get to the caves first. I hate waiting in lines and if I can take a shortcut to get in front of the masses, then I'd even be willing to pay a little more;)

Our ship leaves next Sunday and it may be too late for some of you, but I'll post my first hand opinion of Jaguar Paw as soon as I get to a computer.

Cheers, and Go Gators!:)

Doug

I never spotted your review on your Jaguar Paw experience. If you posted it somewhere else, will you please send me the link?

Archived