Got Caught Trying to Cheat Carnival...

op.

I got to applaud your honesty, and I also find nothing wrong with tying to save a few bucks.

If this had been posted over on the NCL boards you would have been flamed big time, sharing a soda with someone if you have a soda sticker is a big NO NO over there, thats one example, its just crazy.

I was tossed between tying ncl again, or giving ccl a go

between the attitudes from posters on here and the new stats im pretty close to my decision:)

I work in a hotel, Major brand hotel actually, and we do not give out any reservation information unless the person calling can give either a confirmation number and verify the credit card number, or verify the credit card that the room is booked under. So no they cannot check, at least not with my brand.

I looked into this a little further after reading lsycko1's comment last night. He/She is correct in one sense that someone can call and ask to be connected to a guest's room during that person's stay as long as #1 the person is registered under the name being requested, and #2 accepting calls. With that said, if someone other than the registered guest or authorized agent of the guest does call and cannot prove by the privacy rules the hotel has in place (CC#, confirmation# at minimum) and is still able to obtain reservation information, the hotel has then broken the privacy rules contract between the hotel and the guest.

Here's an extreme example I read last night. An angry ex-husband believes that his ex-wife and her new boyfriend are going to be staying at specific hotel in a couple of weeks. The ex-husband calls the hotel and the hotel verifies that they do indeed have a reservation. He then goes to the hotel during their stay and kills both the ex-wife and boyfriend. In this case, the hotel and the hotel employee that gave the information were both found liable for assisting in the deaths of two people due to breaking the privacy contract. BTW...this was a civil case, not criminal brought on by the families of both the victims.

Obviously, this is a totally different senario than what the OP has going on. The key here is to know that if a hotel (in the US) actually does give your info out, it does break the privacy agreement and could potentially land both the hotel and employee in a world of trouble based on any loss the guest may incur.

Actually, I do have kids, two, in fact. And first of all, they probably wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in how we got to where we were going, how much we paid or anything else. Secondly, if they did ask, I'd gladly tell them I was using what resources were available to me (knowledge + the internet) to save us money and refusing to be taken advantage of by the situation. And I'd encourage them to do the same in any given situation.

As for the other passengers on the ship and that snowball's chance in you-know-where that they would recognize you, who on EARTH is going to be like, "HEY! YOU OVER THERE! DON'T I KNOW YOU?!". :rolleyes:

This was meant to be a post in support of you, btw. Towards the person whose post you were replying to. ;)

op.

I got to applaud your honesty, and I also find nothing wrong with tying to save a few bucks.

If this had been posted over on the NCL boards you would have been flamed big time, sharing a soda with someone if you have a soda sticker is a big NO NO over there, thats one example, its just crazy.

between the attitudes from posters on here and the new stats im pretty close to my decision:)

Although I think the soda card thing is a bit more in the "grayish" area, I don't think this is the same. She isn't receiving anything from Carnival (like the soda) and then not paying for it, she's exercising her right to book independantly for a cheaper rate.

I find no shame here.

The shame should be for them charing 2 x the rate. I think its a rip OFF to

charge people for double the normal rate.

I would find a hotel that I can book and cancel with no service charge...

When we went to St Martin and arrive at one of the several huts... Looking

for a great deal. She ask us if we were on a ship or staying on the Island.

DW said on the Island. I sure if change the price.

It is rare that I book an excursion through the ship. At least here lately a couple of tour operators have not bent over to the demands of Carnival. The Fiesta Party boat in Cozumel is a good example. They are no longer offered as an excursion through Carnival.

Dave

op.

Evidently you have not been on the Carnival boards often ROFLMAO!!!

Op we never book a Carnival tour anymore for the same reason.......at least they have not monopolized the tours over in the Mexican Riviera yet........

We are booking a Stone island tour in Mazatlan with and independent operator for $36 p/p and the cruiseline is offering the same exact tour for $69 p/p

Good luck!!!

op.

It happens here all the time! Sometimes it can be fierce....but that is because it is anonymous...nothing more...nothing less!

I got so fed up with the flaming, I reincarnated myself.:D

Kurb, still trying to figure it out?

It happens here all the time! Sometimes it can be fierce....but that is because it is anonymous...nothing more...nothing less!

I got so fed up with the flaming, I reincarnated myself.:D

Kurb, still trying to figure it out?

Hmmm.......did your old name start with a "B":confused:

IThe shame should be for them charing 2 x the rate. I think its a rip OFF to

charge people for double the normal rate.

Not trying to defend the line, but keep in mind that included in the double rate is the guarantee that the ship will not leave without you if the tour is running late. Also, if you are injured, I believe the line may waive ship infirmary costs(I think I read this on John Healds blog).

I don't think this necessarily justifies the double cost, but Carnival wants to get in on the $$$ action too.

Well, at least you didn't continue to lie and make up a name and resort for yourself! :P

He didn't but I would have made up a name of the Resort I will be staying in. I don't believe they would actually check for your reseverations.

Not trying to defend the line, but keep in mind that included in the double rate is the guarantee that the ship will not leave without you if the tour is running late. Also, if you are injured, I believe the line may waive ship infirmary costs(I think I read this on John Healds blog).

I don't think this necessarily justifies the double cost, but Carnival wants to get in on the $$$ action too.

You know I bet many pax would pay the difference and book with Carnival for those very reasons. So many folks are afraid of missing the boat...and even more so if they are out on the water somewhere on an excursion.

I still don't like this game that Carnival plays with their pax.:(

I agree. But the extra "peace of mind" does come at a cost.

The only "peace of mind" is that they might not leave without you, and if they do, pay for you to catch up with the ship. I'm fairly certain if people give themselves wiggle room, most would be able to find a way back to the ship in a reasonable amount of time, provided the tour operator was competant and cooperative (which I find many recommendations for on the Ports board). I don't believe a word of the "it's not safe to take independant tours not booked through Carnival" that they give out at the "Shore Talks" onboard, after what happened to those Carnival pax in MoBay last year.

The only "peace of mind" is that they might not leave without you, and if they do, pay for you to catch up with the ship. I'm fairly certain if people give themselves wiggle room, most would be able to find a way back to the ship in a reasonable amount of time, provided the tour operator was competant and cooperative (which I find many recommendations for on the Ports board). I don't believe a word of the "it's not safe to take independant tours not booked through Carnival" that they give out at the "Shore Talks" onboard, after what happened to those Carnival pax in MoBay last year.

Very true, my main point which I didn't specifically write is that at least when you book with Carnival, Carnival assumes some responsiblity if anything goes awry. hence, Peace of Mind

If you book independently, you are on your own.

Personally, I accept the responsibility and do my own thing in ports.

I don't think (personally) there is anything wrong with Carnival or any other line, charging whatever they want for onboard bookings. They are offering a service with some benefits over booking onshore and should be able to charge whatever the market will bear, the price WILL decrease if people stop the bookings, however...

When they try to force you to use them instead of booking on shore by threatening local contractors with loss of their contract if they book anyone from a ship, I have a problem.

I would always book on the ship myself. I like the ease of booking, don't like having 20 people come up to me trying to sell me a tour and like the idea that if something happens and we run late, Carnival will try and see we get back to the ship. But everyone should be able to make their own choice.

I'm betting that (if Carnival stayed out of it) most of the people that book now through Carnival would continue, and the people wanting to book outside now will always find a workaround if they stay the same.

I agree. But the extra "peace of mind" does come at a cost.

exactly, and my family has actually paid extra at times for that POM. Now though, with this economic mess, I think we would need to give up the little extra POM:(

Archived