Can you pre load your ss card?

I do this for every cruise. I don't like using credit cards so this is the way I put money on my account without having a big bill at the end. Make sure you print out the email confirmation once it has cleared your bank. Last time they sent two email's one that I ordered them and one that it is on my ship board account. Just bought some this morning. (my tips are already taken care of) :D I don't like having to come up with a big chunk of money for the cruise and you never even see the money. If you don't spend what is on your account you will get a check under your door on the last morning of the cruise (I like it when I get money back):cool:

I agree, We still put up a credit card. But when we know our tips are already taken care of and we have $600-$800 of OBC it just makes vacation better.

This is a common comment on this board. But in this instance, there is no such thing as a 'high-yield savings account'. We're only speaking of a few hundred dollars. Most savings accounts pay 3% or less APY. Which on a $500 investment is less than $20 for the YEAR of investment. Any higher percentage than that generally includes minimum dollar investments much higher than we are speaking of here.

First of all, $20 is $20. Why would you give up $20 to send funds to a company early? Second, there are accounts at FDIC-insured institutions paying upwards of 5% with no minimums. See this thread at FatWallet.com for instance. Third, in addition to the interest issue, especially in the current economic climate there's always a chance of the company declaring bankruptcy or even ceasing operations.

I just really can't see why anyone would want to pay early.

First of all, $20 is $20. Why would you give up $20 to send funds to a company early? Second, there are accounts at FDIC-insured institutions paying upwards of 5% with no minimums. See this thread at FatWallet.com for instance. Third, in addition to the interest issue, especially in the current economic climate there's always a chance of the company declaring bankruptcy or even ceasing operations.

It's like a savings account that you forgot about.

We've put $500.00 on it via Carnival's web site.

Just go through the process as if you're buying a gift certificate.

When the time comes to put in your address' date=' put in your booking number instead.

You will get a confirmation email.

Make sure you print it out and bring it with you (just in case) :rolleyes:

It took a couple of weeks for it to appear on my account when I looked at it on their website.[/quote']

Could someone walk me thru this, I can't seem to find how to purchase the G/C on the Carnival website. Thnx.

Ok, Now this is the FUNNIEST thing I have seen today. I actually am speechless, which almost never happens to me.

Ummm...ok...how to reply to what I found on your link...

I was curious to your referral/link as you make a valid point regarding FDIC insured institutions. Yeah, $20 is a couple of DD specials. But, HONESTLY, I cannot grasp what I am about to post...

The second post down on your referral/link/suggestion is the following banking instutition...

http://www.redneckbank.com/

Yes, it's a real bank. I'm at a loss for words. Except for the following...I'd rather give my money to Carnival. If you want to business with this place, enjoy your $20.

I have to lie down now.

Go Cats

Ok, Now this is the FUNNIEST thing I have seen today. I actually am speechless, which almost never happens to me.

Ummm...ok...how to reply to what I found on your link...

I was curious to your referral/link as you make a valid point regarding FDIC insured institutions. Yeah, $20 is a couple of DD specials. But, HONESTLY, I cannot grasp what I am about to post...

The second post down on your referral/link/suggestion is the following banking instutition...

http://www.redneckbank.com/

Yes, it's a real bank. I'm at a loss for words. Except for the following...I'd rather give my money to Carnival. If you want to business with this place, enjoy your $20.

I have to lie down now.

Go Cats

Thats Classic !!:D Thanks for Researching that for us :D.. I'll take my chance and the loss of $5.00 interest that Carnival will be keeping it's doors open longer then that REDNECK BANK :D :D ! To NOT have to carry an extra Grand or so in cash around in addition to what I carry anyway in Downtown Miami is worth it to me.. Nice work their msubobcats...:)

Could someone walk me thru this, I can't seem to find how to purchase the G/C on the Carnival website. Thnx.

Scroll back to page one of this topic and read through the posts...there's some instructions and links on that page.

Go Cats

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD

Put "ON BOARD CREDIT" on the address line...works everytime...have used my debit card (no CC's for me!) numerous times, which allows me to put a few bucks on my account every paycheck.

Go Cats

Someone else said to put your booking number in the address line.Should I put that in plus add "ON BOARD CREDIT"? When I check in on embarkaton day will the credit appear?

Sorry if I seem stupid.

Does your cruise have to be paid in full to start putting money on your SS Card???

Nope. We have only paid our deposit and we already have $### amount placed on our S&S as OBC. And the reason I didn't state the amount is because I don't want the anti-OBC pre purchase posters to bash me. But, just between us friends, it is higher than $700 and lower then $900. ;)

Someone else said to put your booking number in the address line.Should I put that in plus add "ON BOARD CREDIT"? When I check in on embarkaton day will the credit appear?

Sorry if I seem stupid.

I don't put my booking number, just the 'ON BOARD CREDIT' on both 'custom message' line and the address line. The sail date is listed at the bottom of the page.

It works for me, but there are different ways of doing this. Probably can't go wrong either way.

Go Cats

Sorry if I seem stupid.

Whichever way you do it, make copies and carry those copies with you on board. There is always the chance there will be an error and you won't have it credited. Proof of payment and what amount will always get you your credit. Just remember, even Carnival employees are human and make mistakes!!!!!! ;)

Somebody please explain to me how this is any different from enjoying the cruise, having it billed to your credit card, then taking the cash you saved, had, were given, whatever, and paying off the bill as soon as it gets posted to your charge card ?

Whichever way you do it, make copies and carry those copies with you on board. There is always the chance there will be an error and you won't have it credited. Proof of payment and what amount will always get you your credit. Just remember, even Carnival employees are human and make mistakes!!!!!! ;)

If you call the number I've listed, 800-906-7603, once you've added funds you can request an confirmation email be sent to you.

One word... you can't add dollars to your account within 14 days of your sailing. I always do mine about three weeks out...

:)

Somebody please explain to me how this is any different from enjoying the cruise, having it billed to your credit card, then taking the cash you saved, had, were given, whatever, and paying off the bill as soon as it gets posted to your charge card ?

If the current economy has taught us anything, it is that personal responsibility when it comes to debt is in the minority. With the housing market/credit card debt/job loss in the mainstream media every minute of every day, most people can easily come to the conclusion that living on a budget is just about mandatory for most.

And walking onto a ship with what is basically a 'pre-paid' credit card for purchases, folks may find it easier to live within that budget while on vacation.

Go Cats

Hi!

Just wondering....... I am going to travel with 2 kids (13 and 9) does anyone know if I can pre load or load when we board money on their cards... or if we'll all fall under my credit card? I have told each of them that this cruise (learned my lesson last cruise :)) that I will set a dollar amount for them to spend but think it would be easier if able to load their card and let them have at it. Thanks!

I would check with a PVP on that one..a quick phone call will give you that answer..

but I would THINK that if the funds were over spent, then it would just add it to your bill, as you are ultimately legally responsible for their bills..(much like some of those family plan cell phones!)

I would be interested in the answer when you get it!

My question is if there's gonna be two S&S counts for the room, how is this seperated? It's probably not a problem because my sister wouldn't be doing the pre-S&S balance and we could just tell them at the purser's desk that the balance goes under my account only. Am I correct on this?

Archived