Need something new to do in SJ

stuNYC

I have been to SJ many times, even staying on the island for several weeks. The last cruise I went to El Yunque. I am running out of things to do, other than the Rum factory. Any unique ideas off the beaten path.

Suggestions:

Arecibo Observatory

Rio Camuy Cave Park

Exploring the City of Ponce

Taino Ceremonial Park

Guanica Dry Forest - A International Biosphere reserve

Luquillo Beach

Island of Vieques (need more than one day)

La Parguera - Bioluminescent Bay and home of the Parguera Wall (diving)

Walking Tour of Old San Juan

University Of Puerto Rico Botanical gardens

Cathedral Cave Wild Adventure - Cave Rappeling

Body Rafting on the Tanama river

Jhh1002

Thanks for the tips

You sure gave me enough ideas to look into. If you have 3 hours in the AM. What would you choose. You sound very knowledgeable.

How far is the beach from port. Waching the waves break is very relaxing for me. I have only been to the beach at El San Juan and Caribe Hilton. As I recall, the water was as murky as the beach on the Atlantic Coast at the former and a tranquil cove at the latter.

Where is Luquillo Beach. It sounds familar.

Body rafting also sounds like fun, is that like tubing, going down the river in rubber tubes tied together. Be aware I am total spastic who had to fished out of the water a dozen times when I went white water rafting. That why caving probably wouldn't be my bag. I would wind up in the ER and ruin the rest of my cruise.

Hello-

If I had only three hours in the morning and loved the water I would do the following:

I would get a car (or taxi but I prefer to drive myself). I would go to Kasalta's Deli, which is at 1966 McLeary Ave. This is in Ocean Park a neighborhood adjacent (east) of the Condado area and before you enter the Isla Verde Area. It is a wonderful local place to eat. I would have the Tortilla Espanol (Spanish Omelet) and a marvelous cup of Puerto Rican coffee. Sit back and enjoy the local flavor. I would then get a coffee or juice to go and one of their many, many fabulous pastries. I would then head out through Isla Verde and catch highway 187. This is the old coast highway that heads out east towards Loiza and Luquillo. This road is, what I think, one of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken. It runs right on the coast through a Pinones forest and the through an old Coconut Palm plantation. There are places to pull off and take in the pounding surf, and eat the pastry! This alone would be wonderful, but you can stay on 187 until you reach Luquillo (town and beach) This beach is the most photographed in all of Puerto Rico. It is long, wide and lined with Royal Palms. You could swim or again just take in the scenery. It is about a 45-minute drive to the Luquillo area. I enjoy adventures and off the beaten path, which is why I always make this drive. If you were heading back to the cruise ships I would return by 187. If you are headed for the airport you could take either 187 or Highway 3 back into San Juan.

Whatever you choose I wish you Bon Voyage!

Archived