Dress Code Question

starq1

We were on the Mariner 2 months ago. The Compass specifically stated "no shorts", but didn't mention jeans. He definitely won't be turned away from the dining room, even on formal nights.

That being said, I didn't see any jeans in the main dining room on any of our 5 nights. (Had a hurricane-shortened cruise.)

They make wrinkle-free/splash-resistant pants now. One pair would be fine for the entire week, assuming he wouldn't be wearing them all day. Typically, I changed for dinner into what the dresscode required, then changed right back to shorts when we left the dining room.

There are a lot of people on the ship that don't mind people breaking the dresscode. However, you've probably also noticed from the boards that there are a lot of people who DO mind people breaking the dresscode. So, I would suggest this:

* If it would bother you that someone at your dinner table disapproved of your husband's attire (and perhaps disapproved verbally :eek: ), buy him some Dockers.

* If it wouldn't bother you, let him wear jeans.

Dave

I am taking my parents on their first cruise (infact, first vacation ever) in June '05. Dad doesn't like to get dressed up so I specifically chose RCCL instead of Celebrity or HAL or Princcess. RCCL's website says "No Shorts" for dinner in Dinning Room. I really hope that's what it means. This is my first time on RCCL but we chose it because Dad won't fly and our options were limited. There are six of us going so I assume they will put us at a table for six. I really hope it's not an issue. This being their first (and possibly only) vacation, I really want them to have a great time. I'm hoping they will realize what they have been missing all these years and start a new trend. My hubby always wears jeans to dinner on CCL and doesn't care what people think. I enjoy getting dressed but am happy to "blend" with whatever makes everyone else happy.

I'm just so excited they are finally going somewhere. I want it to be the time of their life.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

...forget what RCCL's website says about suggested dress code. Once you get onboard, you will realize there no longer is a dress code, suggested or otherwise. In the daily Compass, instead of printing out the suggested dress code for the evening like they used to, now you will find the three things that are not allowed in the dining venues at any time: bare feet, wet bathing suits and tank tops. That's it.

Personally, I won't wear jeans to the dining room for dinner for the simple reason that I equate the dining room on the ships to be on the same level as a fancy, upscale land based restaurant, and I won't wear jeans to one of those. If I don't feel like dressing up for dinner on any particular night, I'll eat in the Windjammer instead since they serve basically the same food as the dining room. However, on today's RCCL, you can wear jeans, shorts or practically anything else without fear of being turned away at the door.

On the Mariner 11/07/04 the Compass did print the suggested dress code,ie. Formal, Smart Casual, and Casual. Other than that I agree with the above posterfor the daytime anyway. We saw also, very formally dressed people on the first and second formal nights, and Saturday night, the last night aboard. I was surprised at the formality on a casual night.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do;jsessionid=0000ssmRqnCIsGToSUYg8ismQYL:vnkcfnbg?br=R&exCode=23

Here they give a "suggested" dress code, but the only thing they say is "forbidden" is bare feet, bathing suits and shorts. I just don't want it to be a problem.

Just off the Voyager (yesterday) and the ship was FULL. We only attended one of the two formal nights and that was the only night we missed in the dining room. The first dinner on board was a hodge-podge of dress due to the fact that some people didn't have luggage yet - and yes, that is acceptable. On Caribbean night, it seemed casual from my standpoint and on 50's and 60's night it was casual. On the first formal night, there was a wide range of dress, some tuxes, some gowns, some teenagers were wearing dresses probably from homecoming, etc. Some women had sequens and some didn't.

The only nights I saw jeans were the first night and the last night. Although some parents had their kids in jeans and shorts and nothing was said or done. It didn't bother me because I didn't let it.

There was a family of 5 that sat at a table behind ours and the wife had on what appeared to be cotton work-out pants with flip flops . . . so there was certainly a "variety" of clothing.

Be comfortable and presentable.

Archived