How prevalent is Typhoid Fever?

BonnieVA

i find that most of the vaccinations have too many side-effects...since i was only on land for a short time, during daylight hours...i didn't bother with them.

if i was there for a longer time and during the night hours (mosquitos), i might have gotten them.

i find that most of the vaccinations have too many side-effects...since i was only on land for a short time, during daylight hours...i didn't bother with them.

if i was there for a longer time and during the night hours (mosquitos), i might have gotten them.

You went to Lamanai, right? Did you feel comfortable that your food was well-cooked? That is the issue we are faced with. Typhoid & Hep A are spread from infected fecal matter being ingested - from food contaminated where it's grown or by someone w/ the illness (& unwashed hands) touching the food you eat :eek:. So DH thinks that the tour ops have taken steps to ensure safe foods that they feed the tourists at Lam. I think that's probably so but there's still a chance the disease is present. I haven't been able to determine just how prevalent typhoid is in Belize & Guat ... is it somewhat limited or widespread?

So, as adults, dh can opt to not get vaccinated & I can opt to get vaccinated. The issue is what we should do w/ our 4 kids. Ack! Like you mentioned, I don't want us to be subjected to potential side effects & unnecessary costs (Hep A & typhoid vaccs for our family would be $700-$834 for our family depending on where we go :()... but I don't want to get sick either.

if you were doing an extended stay in belize, than i would get the shots.

but for 7 to 8 hrs on land? most cruisers don't get vaccinations, if you have a low immune system, then as your doctor what he suggests.

lamanai's food was great, since they are serving tourist, they take care with it. the sodas were local bottled fruit sodas, very good actually.

the chicken was well cook..as were the beans and rice.

they served several groups (of cruisers) every day, for several years..they have it down to what works. they use big ice chest to keep the food in..heat the food with sternos (they don't have electricity down at the picnic area, don't know if they have it any where else around the site)

we didn't have any problems with bugs, at lamanai. others have said to bring bug spray. we had bad bug problems in santo tomas (quiriqua maya site) and did have bug spray with us.

take hand santizer for the restrooms. no hot water. also, it's like restroom at some national parks, flush toilets...walls open above 7 feet, ceiling fans..clean for a semi-outdoor area.

lunch is served under the roof, no walls, cement floor, regular picnic tables.

do what's best for you, but don't do it out of panic..talk to your doctor.

if you were doing an extended stay in belize, than i would get the shots.

but for 7 to 8 hrs on land? most cruisers don't get vaccinations, if you have a low immune system, then as your doctor what he suggests.

lamanai's food was great, since they are serving tourist, they take care with it. the sodas were local bottled fruit sodas, very good actually.

the chicken was well cook..as were the beans and rice.

they served several groups (of cruisers) every day, for several years..they have it down to what works. they use big ice chest to keep the food in..heat the food with sternos (they don't have electricity down at the picnic area, don't know if they have it any where else around the site)

we didn't have any problems with bugs, at lamanai. others have said to bring bug spray. we had bad bug problems in santo tomas (quiriqua maya site) and did have bug spray with us.

take hand santizer for the restrooms. no hot water. also, it's like restroom at some national parks, flush toilets...walls open above 7 feet, ceiling fans..clean for a semi-outdoor area.

lunch is served under the roof, no walls, cement floor, regular picnic tables.

do what's best for you, but don't do it out of panic..talk to your doctor.

Thanks for all that info. It pretty much confirms what dh believes ... that the tour ops (especially those thru NCL) take precautions to ensure food safety. I was glad to read about the ice chest & sternos. Wasn't exactly sure how the food was prepped & served. Helps us to make a more educated decision.

maybe this will help...

the tour is, acutally, through grey lines tours...NCL has a contract with them. the tour gruide/bus /bus driver all had "grey line bus" logos. it's a regular tour. our bus was awful, in the interior, not dirty...just falling apart...but the engine was great, had cool air..just had to move around to find comfortable seats. since there were less then 30, on a big bus, we had plenty of empty seats. (tour guide was one the best EVER)

if you take the kids, i won't let them put their hands in the water...on the river trip. they do warn you about this, mostly about the crocs (not the shoes)..but also, this is where you could find diseases. the river trips is outstanding, nice boats, fast speeds..keeps you cool on a hot day.

for the lunch, they had alumium foil lining the ice chest..plus nice containers for the food. i don't know where they bring the food from..i had heard there were no roads in that area, but that could be wrong.

the local workers must get to work somehow...you don't see cars, parking lots, etc. you do see some dug-out canoes?

you do expect indiana jones to come running out of the jungle, at any minute.

if you haven't, check out:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

maybe this will help...

the tour is, acutally, through grey lines tours...NCL has a contract with them. the tour gruide/bus /bus driver all had "grey line bus" logos. it's a regular tour. our bus was awful, in the interior, not dirty...just falling apart...but the engine was great, had cool air..just had to move around to find comfortable seats. since there were less then 30, on a big bus, we had plenty of empty seats. (tour guide was one the best EVER)

if you take the kids, i won't let them put their hands in the water...on the river trip. they do warn you about this, mostly about the crocs (not the shoes)..but also, this is where you could find diseases. the river trips is outstanding, nice boats, fast speeds..keeps you cool on a hot day.

for the lunch, they had alumium foil lining the ice chest..plus nice containers for the food. i don't know where they bring the food from..i had heard there were no roads in that area, but that could be wrong.

the local workers must get to work somehow...you don't see cars, parking lots, etc. you do see some dug-out canoes?

you do expect indiana jones to come running out of the jungle, at any minute.

if you haven't, check out:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

I think my boys are going to love this excursion. It's the thing I am most looking forward to myself on this cruise! So educational, exciting, & unique.

Archived