HAL Formal Attire vs. Carnival Formal Attire

latrn220

Okay, I have several questions regarding formal attire. To my understanding the formal attire for ladies is much dressier / formal than on the carnival ships. I have found other threads about the mens formal attire but none on ladies. On the carnival it really varied there were ladies with long sequined gowns, some with shorter more versatile dresses, and some with what I would simply call "church dresses". What is more proper on HAL, I and my mother are going to be on the Zuiderdam in March and I do not want either one of us to feel out of place and uncomfortable. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!:confused:

Actually I have seen all on HAL. One couple at our table last cruise wore contrasting formal clothing. She wore what I would call church (not dressy) clothing and he wore a tux. It is all what you are comfortable in.

My husband spend many years in a position that he was frequently required to dress formally and found that he really misses it. He always wears a tux. I don't mind because that way I get to wear some of my more formal dresses. Cruises are about the only place left to do this for us.

For our upcoming cruise w/family my sister is wearing a dressy pants suit. She hates dresses.

Wear what makes you feel good.

I'm not sure what is meant by church (not dressy) clothing, unless it just means short, obviously day wear.

I'm also worried that what I have isn't dressy enough, at least for the 2nd formal night (if I'm reading right) on the Westerdam 12/5. One dress is quite formal, black crepe with a nice slit, not too revealing. I'm not sure if it's really cruise formal, although the rental brochure did show black. I also have a lighter long dress, which has a printed skirt and white top, something I'd wear to an evening patio party, probably too informal. Also have a long lightweight velvet shirt with chiffon top, and simple long navy jersey dress which I could dress up with accessories.

As for being comfortable, I'm comfortable when I feel suitably attired for the occasion. But I don't want to pack way much, and I'm not really the ball gown and glitter type.

I'm not sure what is meant by church (not dressy) clothing, unless it just means short, obviously day wear.

That is what I meant by church clothing, nice day wear. She looked quite nice.

The clothing you described sound wonderful.. I wear alot of black, cuts down on extra shoes and bags. Most of the time ball gowns are the exception, too bulky to pack. The long skirt and the navy dress would also be lovely. I am certain that you will be dressed suitable for the occasion.

I have a habit of dressing for dinner almost every night just because I rarely have occasion to do so. So obviously I did not listen to my mother about the "better to be underdressed than overdressed" thing. :eek:

My advice: Take what you feel good in and what packs the best.

Back to your question.

My recall is there were fewer formal gowns and less jewelry [real or travel] on Carnival than HAL and much less on HAL than on Crystal.

Most women I observed thought 'country-club casual' was formal on Carnival, ie a sequenced or a low cut top and a pair of slacks or mid-length skirt. More breasts were displayed on Carnival, but that could be a function of age.

Neither HAL nor Carnival in anyway enforce the dress code, although both publish about the same thing. So wear whatever you like.

Archived