Is this the right insurance?

My husband planned out AOS cruise with AAA. When I was looking over the paperwork to see wverything he had done I noticed the TA had written " cancellation insurance to cancel for medical reasons". Is that the insurance we want or is that just part of it. I am going to call on Monday to see exactly what we have signed up for. I just know from reading through here that alot of you might know more about it than I do.

If that is the extent of your insurance coverage it is an extremely limited policy. Most of the best policies cover cancellations for many reasons -- a car accident, a layoff from work, an illness, strikes, bad weather etc. In addition, it should provide coverage to you for a delay, baggage delay, etc.

You do have the ability to tell your TA you do not want her insurance, and then buy your own within a few days. Check out insure my trip to compare policies. FWIW, I have purchased my own policy from travelex. For me, they have the best price and best coverage (because they do not charge for children). TravelGuard is also a very good insurer. Good luck!

I'll second the vote for insuremytrip.com. Make sure to purchase only the coverage you actually need, you can compare costs with several different companies on this site. The insurance sold by the cruiseline can be double or triple the amount you will pay through insuremytrip, plus you can customize what works for you. Our last cruise, we paid $129 for our family of 4, the cruiseline insurance was over $300.

Kathy,

Can I ask what insurance company you went with? We are a family of three and are interested in medical and trip cancellation or delay due to weather conditions as we live in Chicago and January weather can never be planned out. We can't think of anything other than those two things that might cause trouble for our trip. And no pre-existing conditions are a concern.

Sounds like you got a great deal! If you want, you can email me at xpreciousp@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

I am definatley calling on Monday. I am just so afraid we are going to end up with a missed flight or something bad. At least if we had better insurance I would be feel better.

I am on my way to check out insure my trip.

Thanks everyone.

Ok another question. I am looking at insure my trip and it says that I need to buy it within so many days of our first deposit. We put our deposit down 14 days ago. Does that mean I can't get the insurance I need? I am so new to this whole insurance thing.

My husband planned out AOS cruise with AAA. When I was looking over the paperwork to see wverything he had done I noticed the TA had written " cancellation insurance to cancel for medical reasons". Is that the insurance we want or is that just part of it. I am going to call on Monday to see exactly what we have signed up for. I just know from reading through here that alot of you might know more about it than I do.

We used AAA to book our last 2 cruises and our insurance came from there as well ( the one we had insurance for)... but it was a separate brochure from a company they contract with and it covered more than medical reasons. It was also reasonably priced... comparable to insuremytrip.com and other internet sites. Good luck.

We put our deposit down 14 days ago. Does that mean I can't get the insurance I need? I am so new to this whole insurance thing.

No it does not mean you can't get insurance. It means that, if you do not buy it within 14 days the insurer will not waive pre-existing conditions. That means, if you or any member of your family has any sort of medical condition now, that results in your cancellation later, the insurance will not cover cancellation. The insurers will waive this exclusion if you buy within a certain time period that is usually 7-14 days.

Archived