One Day in Vancouver Suggestion

DH and I will have one day in Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise. We have visited previously and have seen the main highlights - Stanley, Capilano, Grouse. We will not have a car and will be at the Blue Horizon on Robson 6/5.

Suggestions on different things to do? We are looking at:

1. Granville Isle and Brewery tour (try water taxi?)

2. Burnaby Museum (is this accessible by Skytrain? how long is trip?)

3. Chinatown Night Market (will catch cab)

We like to walk and experience anything uniquely local. We are planning a visit to Death by Chocolate again, but other than that would love to hear about any new local spots.

Thanks in advance for any suggested itineraries.

Hi.

From someone who lives there!

Water taxi to Granville Island? It is more of a water bus, but it really isn't what you think it is. Depends on your mobility etc. If you are able to get around, here are some suggestions...

1. Leaving Blue Horizon, head towards Stanley Park. When you get to Denman Street, turn left and walk towards English Bay. Grab a latte, coffee, tea or whatever at one of the coffee shops and sit on a log at English Bay and enjoy the sites for a moment. When you are done, get up and head away from Stanley Park (along Pacific Blvd.) If you pass the Inukchuck, you are going in the right direction. Inukchuck = large blocks of stone made to look like person. Also the symbol chosen to represent the 2010 Olympics here. Continue along the path until you come to the aquatic center (It is the first building you will see along the path. You will also see a bridge above you (Burrard Bridge). You will notice a pier to your right. Go down and wait. A small ferry like boat will appear in minutes and you can take it over to Granville Island. Quaint with eateries. Best to pick up something in the market and then sit outside and enjoy the vistas and the ambiance. Then, take the Ferry back over. This time, instead of heading back the same way, just as you pass the aquatic center going back, veer right and head toward the street up ahead. Cross it and keep going straight up. You will come to Davie Street. Here, turn left and go down Davie Street. It is a mish mash of odd stores and eateries. Keep going till you get to Bute. Turn right and you will walk through some residential areas. Keep on Bute till you get to Robson St. Voila, your hotel is right there!

Hope this was some help!!!!

Burnaby Mountain not accessible by Skytrain, but Lonsdale Quay is, and if you haven't been there, it is kinda nice.

Chinatown Night Market. Not really much of one. The main Chinese Night Market has moved to Richmond, but without a car, it won't be easy to get there.

DH and I will have one day in Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise. We have visited previously and have seen the main highlights - Stanley, Capilano, Grouse. We will not have a car and will be at the Blue Horizon on Robson 6/5.

Suggestions on different things to do? We are looking at:

1. Granville Isle and Brewery tour (try water taxi?)

2. Burnaby Museum (is this accessible by Skytrain? how long is trip?)

3. Chinatown Night Market (will catch cab)

We like to walk and experience anything uniquely local. We are planning a visit to Death by Chocolate again, but other than that would love to hear about any new local spots.

Thanks in advance for any suggested itineraries.

Granville Island and of course the brewery...good choice..;)

Burnaby Museum...good local museum but not a must see.

Chinatown Night Market...ok but with the Canadian/Chinese population living all over the metro area, particularly in Richmond it (Chinatown) is not what it used to be.

Death by Chocolate on Burrard is now closed...sorry.:mad:

Suggestions:

Gastown.....where Vancouver began

Yaletown.....trendy shops and restaurants in a SOHO type environment

Robson Street....lots of unique shops

SeaBus to the North Shore and a walk thru Lonsdale Quay...a fesitval market ...not as spectacular as Granville Island but nontheless fun.

And then there is back to Stanley Park...I haven't seen it all in my 65 years...there is no way you could have seen it all in a few hours or even a day.

Burnaby Mountain not accessible by Skytrain, but Lonsdale Quay is, and if you haven't been there, it is kinda nice.

Chinatown Night Market. Not really much of one. The main Chinese Night Market has moved to Richmond, but without a car, it won't be easy to get there.

Thanks for the suggestions, since you both mention Lonsdale Quay I think we'll check that out. Would you suggest going to Granville first and head to Lonsdale in the afternoon?

Thanks for the suggestions, since you both mention Lonsdale Quay I think we'll check that out. Would you suggest going to Granville first and head to Lonsdale in the afternoon?

I think I woud do Lonsdale Quay first as if you go to Granville Island first the Quay will be anticlimatic. What makes the Quay different is the SeaBus trip across the harbour.

I would agree. Lonsdale Quay first. One of things you might want to do is head down Bute St. (corner where your hotel is) towards the Convention Center (Canada Place). When you get to the very bottom you are in Coal Harbor. Nice area to stroll. Turn right and just keep walking. You will pass the new Convention center (not open yet) and then Canada Place (the building with sails). Just keep walking along the sidewalk and you will come to the Seabus terminal. Here you can catch the seabus to Lonsdale Quay. On the way back, copy same route, but instead of turning up at Bute, keep going till you come to Denman St. (if you pass the Bayshore Hotel, you have gone too far). Walk down Denman St. and you will come to English Bay!

Archived