Dropping luggage at ship then walk to Venice

Can anyone tell me how early can you drop your luggage at the ship?

We are taking my mother 81 yrs on Splendour of the Seas 8/29 leaving from Venice.

We are flying in on 28th to Venice but won't arrive until around 7.30pm at Marco Polo. After thinking through various possibilities have decided it would be best to stay at an airport Hotel. The ship sails at 5pm on the 29th. I thought if we get a taxi from the Hotel to the ship on the morning of 29th and dump the luggage we could then go off into Venice for upto 4 hrs just so that she sees a little of it. She can't walk long distances so we would have the wheelchair, (I know how difficult Venice is with the bridges etc, but that really will be ok). Then we could walk back to the ship and go through the embarkation procedure, at maybe 2pmish.

But I don't know how early we could drop off our baggage, anyone help please?

Can anyone tell me how early can you drop your luggage at the ship?

We are taking my mother 81 yrs on Splendour of the Seas 8/29 leaving from Venice.

We are flying in on 28th to Venice but won't arrive until around 7.30pm at Marco Polo. After thinking through various possibilities have decided it would be best to stay at an airport Hotel. The ship sails at 5pm on the 29th. I thought if we get a taxi from the Hotel to the ship on the morning of 29th and dump the luggage we could then go off into Venice for upto 4 hrs just so that she sees a little of it. She can't walk long distances so we would have the wheelchair, (I know how difficult Venice is with the bridges etc, but that really will be ok). Then we could walk back to the ship and go through the embarkation procedure, at maybe 2pmish.

But I don't know how early we could drop off our baggage, anyone help please?

Make it much more easier:

there is a drop-off point at Venice Santa Lucia Train Station:

you pay 5 EUR per bag...

they take care that you get it onboard and delivered to your stateroom

while you are doing sightseeing in Venice...

Then you return to check-in and embarkation.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for reply Heinbloed. You are saying we can go straight to Venice from the Hotel and drop our bags at the train station?? I'm wondering if I shall panic that they do not make it to the ship:eek: Who runs this service, have you tried and tested it? It would obviously make life easier, unless of course I worry for 4 hrs that our luggage has ended up on a train destined for Milan or somewhere;)

Thanks for reply Heinbloed. You are saying we can go straight to Venice from the Hotel and drop our bags at the train station?? I'm wondering if I shall panic that they do not make it to the ship:eek: Who runs this service, have you tried and tested it? It would obviously make life easier, unless of course I worry for 4 hrs that our luggage has ended up on a train destined for Milan or somewhere;)

It's a service provided by the Porter's Union of Venice.

We will use it the first time in fall when we are going out of Venice by cruise ship.

Friends of us told us to do so and it's very well described with this sheet from COSTA:

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/before_board/Ports/Default.htm?&CallPort=VCE

http://www.vtp.it/pages/navi/crociera.jsp?nomeInfo=P&iconaInfo=ico-passeggeri&idm=7X5NR74023955O6R1O71M85ZDYB0N8KY6BZ4FNY9MD34ETCT3QO137RB3V87S767&prg=5

Unfortunately there is no better description than on COSTA's website how it works. The cruise terminal's website does not it decribe it as detailed as COSTA do. But friends confirmed that they do it as well and I am sure if you use the "Search"-Function for Venice and luggage you will find more cruisers who used the service.

We will use it to have the whole day sightseeing before we embark on our ship.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Let me highly recommend the Marriott Courtyard at the airport--we used it in reverse, staying there the night before we flew out--well priced and a very nice hotel. They have rooms right on the lobby level (we had one) which would make it easy for your wheelchair--I'm sure you could request one.

The dining room is closed on Sunday nights (I guess no one eats then!) but they recommended Crazy Pizzeria about 2 blocks down the street and we had a fun and inexpensive meal there that we really enjoyed.

Have a great trip. Oh, DH wants me to tell you that the bridges along the waterfront (well, it's ALL waterfront, but on the lagoon) have ramps. This promenade runs in front of San Marco Square--no steps there--and would be an ideal place to spend your brief time. Otherwise, you can't walk more than 100 yds. without going over a bridge!

Cathy

Thank you Heinbloed for the useful links. It does sound like a good option.

Cathy thank you. I have been looking at the Marriott. Although we are only travelling a short flight from London, it will be a bit of a trek to Gatwick airport, so rather than have another trek at Venice an airport Hotel seems sensible. Thanks also for the tips about the ramps etc. My mother can walk a little ways but only for a very short time, and extremely slowly, so we will just do what we can in the available time. Any ramps at all will be a bonus!! She will feel she has been to Venice, and of course there is the sail away:) We need to take the wheelchair because of the time constrictions, so anyone sees a couple running like mad pushing a little lady in a wheelchair in the direction of the port, that's us;):)

Thank you Heinbloed for the useful links. It does sound like a good option.

Cathy thank you. I have been looking at the Marriott. Although we are only travelling a short flight from London, it will be a bit of a trek to Gatwick airport, so rather than have another trek at Venice an airport Hotel seems sensible. Thanks also for the tips about the ramps etc. My mother can walk a little ways but only for a very short time, and extremely slowly, so we will just do what we can in the available time. Any ramps at all will be a bonus!! She will feel she has been to Venice, and of course there is the sail away:) We need to take the wheelchair because of the time constrictions, so anyone sees a couple running like mad pushing a little lady in a wheelchair in the direction of the port, that's us;):)

Another option:

The Crowne Plaza in Quarto d'Altino

1. free shuttle from/to airport

2. located next to Quarto d'Altino train station

3. from here 30 minutes in commuter train (with disables fascilities...) to Venice Santa Lucia train station

4. drop-off bags for delivery at ship...

5. sightseeing

6. go back to Rome Square to catch the free shuttle to the cruise terminal

I think there is no more comforatable way to combine fly - hotel - transport - logistics - sightseeing

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived