passports???

knhall2005

Here is what Carnival has on their web page:

"U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a valid passport or recognized WHTI-compliant document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov."

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

so i just got my confirmation for our cruise in august on the fantasy, it sounds to me like i have to have a passport, last year we did not have to have one. anyone else heard this??

If it is a caribbean closed loop cruise, (starting and ending in the US) you will not be required to have a passport.

I applied for mine on Feb 12 and received it by March 1st. Not that bad of a process and now it is a stress reliever as I may not need it for the cruise if one of us have to fly home for some reason out of the US while on a cruise.

I am constantly AMAZED at people that don't want to get a passport... GET one and be done with it.

If someone isn't planning on traveling often, why should they spend money they don't need to. Yes we all know passports are simple and easy, but not cheap if you have to buy them for the whole family. So in my opinion, if you don't need one and don't really plan on traveling often - especially in these hard economic times - why spend the money. Not everyone is fortunate enough to travel every year or more than once a year.

If all of the travel you do is via cruising, you might want to consider the Passport card. It is good for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. They only run $20 via mail or $45 via going to the post office. Just a thought.

Here's the link to the Passport card - http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

A passport card may be convenient for someone who crosses a land border frequently, but why would anyone waste time and money on one for cruises? It isn't a passport. It is of no more value than a birth certificate and a driver's license. It won't help you fly home in an emergency etc.

If you are sailing on a closed loop (cruise begins and ends at the same port) cruise to the Caribbean, even after June 1, 2009, you will NOT need a passport.

Add Mexico, Canada, and Bermuda to that. There is no time in the "near future" or "soon" to need a passport for those areas if you are a US Citizen leaving from the US on a closed-loop cruise. If you have to fly or drive back to the US, you will need a passport. The procedures to obtain one in an emergency situation would not be pleasant or quick.

These Caribbean nations are included in the closed-loop:

If someone isn't planning on traveling often, why should they spend money they don't need to. Yes we all know passports are simple and easy, but not cheap if you have to buy them for the whole family. So in my opinion, if you don't need one and don't really plan on traveling often - especially in these hard economic times - why spend the money. Not everyone is fortunate enough to travel every year or more than once a year.

So you plan NEVER to get a passport? You NEVER plan on flying anywhere outside the US? The ONLY travel that is left that can be done by birth certificate after June 1st is on a closed loop cruise to certain ports in the Caribbean. Fly to Mexico or Canada and you have to have a passport.

BTW it's $100pp over 16 and $85pp under.... buy one a month til everyone has one.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Where it cost is if you want one quick...

bobsfamily - I DO have a passport! And I hate to fly so NO I probably won't be flying anywhere outside the US! How low life of me!!

So no if you don't need one at this particular travel time I wouldn't get one. Maybe $100 or $85 pp isn't expensive to some, but to a family of 4 or 6 adding that on to a cruise, air, hotels, etc. it adds up so maybe paying for one a month just doesn't work for some.

I can tell you my reason for getting on:

1. If I need to get home and I am in another Country this makes it alot easier.

2. If my loved one with me is hurt we can both get back to the states via medical transport without one of us being held up for "paperwork"

3. The security that I can do these two things with the prayer that I never have too.

I applied for mine on Feb 12 and received it by March 1st. Not that bad of a process and now it is a stress reliever as I may not need it for the cruise if one of us have to fly home for some reason out of the US while on a cruise.

One never knows when the opportunity or desire to make a trip which requires a passport will come up.

When we purchased ours, it was for a cruise. We have since gone to Europe, cruised again and crossed from US-Canada-US.

And after June (I believe) every one of these will require a passport with the exception of the closed loop cruises. So one never knows.

If all of the travel you do is via cruising, you might want to consider the Passport card. It is good for travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. They only run $20 via mail or $45 via going to the post office. Just a thought.

Here's the link to the Passport card - http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

A passport card may be convenient for someone who crosses a land border frequently, but why would anyone waste time and money on one for cruises? It isn't a passport. It is of no more value than a birth certificate and a driver's license. It won't help you fly home in an emergency etc.

I believe a passport card is only accepted for border crossings Mexico to US and Canada to US.

No good for anything else.....

didnt mean to get everyone flustered. and no we dont fly, i will never fly! we only go on cruises once a year. and i dont know about everyone else but i checked the price of a passport and its $100. doesnt seem worth it if its not necessary and i never plan on flying.

Archived