Canada/New England On My Mind

Several months ago, I read about Canada/New England cruises here on Cruise Critic, and haven't been able to shake the thought. I'm asking for CC-ers opinions/advice. (FYI, I've been on one cruise-HAL Oosterdam Alaska Inner Passage 2006, and will only consider another HAL cruise).

1. The cruise that most interests me is on the MS Maasdam Boston-Montreal (or vice versa). Any thoughts as to whether Boston-Montreal or Montreal-Boston would be better? I would want to spend a day pre/post cruise in both cities to have at least one full day of sightseeing in both cities.
  2. Any thoughts as to nice, affordable (realizing "affordable" is a relative term) hotels in both cities? I'm thinking of the Collonade in Boston and the Auberge du Vieux Port in Montreal. Has anyone had experience with either hotel?
  3. I'm thinking of travelling with my mother (age 77, who has trouble walking long distances and dealing with stairs). Any thoughts on how she would take to this cruise?
  4. Given my mother's physical limitations, any thoughts on excursions in each of the ports? What about Quebec City? I know my mother would probably want to see Quebec, but I'm concerned about the cobblestone streets and climbing hills. Are there any excursions where she could see Quebec City and keep the navigation of cobblestone streets and hills to a minimum?
  5. What about the Acadia National Park/lobster meal excursion in Bar Harbor? Would we be better going on our own for lobster in Bar Harbor? Or waiting until Halifax?
  6. My mother and I are both musicians. I've heard about the unique Celtic-inspired folk music in the Atlantic provinces. Any hints on excursions where we could hear this music?
  7. Has anyone sailed on both the Oosterdam and Maasdam? What are the similarities? Differences?

I realize I've asked a lot of questions-I'll be greatful for any/all thoughts you might have. Thanks a bunch!

(Cross-posted on Holland America board)

Archived