Where to stay on Sovereign?

We are needing to get a quick cruise fix until Jan. so we are doing a 3day in July or August. Looking to save $$$$ so what is a good deck for oceanview cabin? I have stayed on deck 6 (Tween) in '99 & was pleased. Now I'm thinking deck 8 or 9. Any suggestions (deck or cabin #)appreciated.

Deck 8 has lifeboat obstructions. Deck 9, the oceanview cabins are the 'larger' ocean view and, in my opinion, are worth the few extra bucks for the space. I would vote for deck 9 over 8 anyday. We've had #9548 which is just shy (aft) of mid ship, not too far from elevators and were very happy.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Mariner of the Seas

If you are looking for just an oceanview (window, no balcony), a cabin on a lower deck will cost less than the identical cabin on a higher deck in most cases. If you are looking to save $$$, you might want to consider this. icon_smile.gif

We too have stayed on the tween deck on Monarch (sister ship to Sovereign), and yes, deck 8 has obstructed views.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas - RCCL

Voyager of the Seas - RCCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

Keep in mind that the "obstructed views" are not all that obstructed. The life boat is away from the window and you can see down to the promenade deck and the water. I'd say they are less than 1/2 if not only 1/3 obstructed.

Personally, on a three day cruise, I found the "normal" cabin to be adequate and would have opted for an inside had a midship cabin been available. I also didn't feel that the "window" was that much bigger than the porthole on decks 2 & 3.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

MONARCH OF THE SEAS (04/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;16;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

I like to stay in the bars and dining room.

Oh yes, theres also a hammock on CocoCay I've a hankering for.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Funny that so many of comments are from people who stayed on the Tween deck! Our lst cruise was on the Monarch and we too stayed on the Tween deck. It was one of the worse cabins I've stayed in mainly because it was directly under the promenade deck. Every morning I would be awaken by the joggers who would do their thing at 7:00, even tho signs said not to jog until l0:00. Maybe they enforce the rules now but even my calls to the main desk didn't help. It was like having a set of drums in my cabin each morning. I'm glad the newer ships have placed the jogging track high above the cabins so there is no interferance to the sleepers.

John L.

I just got off the Sovereign Monday, and stayed in cabin 3090, outside. It was a porthole cabin, and unless you spend a lots of time looking out the window, a porthole is just fine. The cabin was in a perfect location and quiet.

M.

My mom and I stayed on Deck 9 b/c of the larger cabins. The view was somewhat obstructed by the lifeboats. That category was not that much more expensive than some of the others. And you only have a couple of decks up to the Windjammer Cafe (I think that's the name) and the pool.

HM on Inspiration 3/9/03

Sovereign of the Seas 8/17/03 (Just Mom and I)

Imagination 6/17/04 (w/ the Inlaws!)

Having stayed on both deck 8 and tween deck - I would stay in the tween deck. The "larger" cabin wasn't really worth it to me. Down on the tween deck, I was closer to my favorite spots (Champagne Bar and Windjammer.) When I do Sovereign again - I will be on the tween deck again. I'll save my money for some froo froo drinks or an upgrade on a ship where it would matter to me.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

Archived