Lamanai Tour belize

mcsea

Did the lamanai tour through RCI. Thought the tour was an adventure

and worth it. Go if you enjoy the mayan history and ruins It is an all day tour . First by Bus then covered power boat

on the river with wild life sightings...... ie crocks, birds, bats the tour

guides are very informative.

Tip: It is COLD on the river in the morning. Dress in layers , wear

a windbreaker with a hood....or rain jacket.... for warmth.

also, for this tour sunscreen, bugspray , sturdy shoes are adviseable...

carrying a backpack is not a problem. You hike through the rain forest.. it is not strenuous.. Then you can climb the ruins.......not for the faint of

heart !!!! very steep especially noticeable on the way down.

At lamanai we saw a troop of monkeys........ climbed the ruins

had a nice belize lunch . go ......for a great adventure!!!

Highly recommend this tour

I also agree with the OP about the wind and cool air on the boat! Lots of people were trying to cover up with their towels. BTW, you don't need towels from the ship for this excursion. We did this through NCL and we foolishly bought the $4.50/bottle Evian water as we left the ship, only to find out they supplied water on the bus both before and after reaching Lamanai. Anyone thinking about doing this excursion with a private tour, DON"T DO IT!!! Last tender back to NCL was 4:30pm, we arrived at the dock at 4:45 pm!!!! We would have missed the boat if we had used a private tour!

If you like the Ruins, you'll love it! If you're doing it for your husband, who loves the Ruins like me, you'll be bored to death:p. And if you read the post I read before about the large snake at the Ruins with the mask, don't worry we didn't see it, and believe you me, I was looking!! Every guide brings a protector to watch for such things! Bugs weren't bad at all right now, as they are finishing their winter right now!

Thanks for the review of the RCI excursion. We are going next week.

We are trying to figure out how much cash to take with us for tips, etc.

Do we tip the boat driver, bus driver, the guy looking out for the snakes or do we tip once at the end?

Thanks!!

we tipped, at the speed boat dock, for the boat and the "protector". (he joined the tour there). we tipped as they helped us out of the boat. the tour guide and bus driver will be available as you get off the bus, back at the tender port.

i did the tour through NCL, the bus ride was 45 mins to an hour...depending on how many stops along the way. the boat ride is a good hour. we went in december, the ground was very wet..our shoes got muddy and i had to be careful where i stepped to avoid falling. at one point, you have wooden steps..another you have stone steps..then you have gravel/rocky path. i LOVED this tour..but it's easier when it's dry.

We were the first tender off The Pearl at 830am and we finally arrived at Lamanai at 11:30am! No kidding! It took 1.5 hrs from the pier to where we got on the boats! Then they took a while looking for wildlife, so it was another 1.5 hrs til we docked . We then had lunch. Local children led us from the dock to the pavillion, where the ladies prepared our lunch. Tip jar at the beginning of the buffet. The gentleman who is your guide on the bus was also our boat driver. We tipped him and the bus driver. They told us they all split the tips. The walking to the ruins is not overly strenuous. At times you are on an incline with tree roots, and rocks, but you are taking your time, no rush. At the most steepest areas, there is a rope to hold on(this is just getting to the ruins, sort of like a jungle I guess, very pretty with fawna) You will see 3 ruins, but can only climb 1. My hubby did it, and said it wasn't bad going up, but coming down is a different story!! You have a rope to hold on going up, and to come down you have to come down the same way you went up. You can not turn at the top and just walk down. You must crawl down backwards, (ladies, do NOT wear a skirt) Hubby was glad he did it, but his legs were shaking and burning from the climb! But he said the view was worth it!

We tipped the tour guide and bus driver while exiting the bus at the

end of the tour. we tipped the "lookout" while exiting the boat. Any small

sum is appreciated /not expected.

the bus ride was about 45min-1 hour. the boat ride 1 hour

the hiking/walking is about 1 mile total if that. uneven terain through

the rain forest... with very slight upgrade. other paths were paved or

grass. Sneakers worked fine.

I'm looking for a tour to see the rain forest, and animals...mainly howler monkey. Would you recommend this tour for this?

You say the boat goes fast, so i wouldn't think you could enjoy the animals and jungle.?

Any advise is appreciated. I would enjoy the ruins...but mainly want to enjoy the rain forest and different plants.

CATZ4001

This tour provides wildlife and nature sightings on your River boat

trip to lamanai BUT, it is a brief as you go along sort of thing.

On Royal Caribbean I think

There is another river tour that focuses exclusively on nature sighting

and the howler monkey ....you might want to check that one out if

nature is your focus.

we definitely saw the monkeys and the tour guide was well versed

about the rain forest but it was brief.... as the focus was on the mayans

and the ruins. hope that helps

BIG SNAKE??!!

I am petrified by snakes. I can't watch them on tv or even look at a picture without the panic starting. Did you see any/many size?? Please let me know, so I can decide on whether to chance it. Thanks in advance.

Do you think this hike is doable with a baby in a carrier on my chest? She's not so heavy and I'm relatively fit and a good hiker/walker?

we had a young couple, with a toddler. they had a back-pack type carrier for him. the kid was great, he was use to hiking with mom and dad. but the important part, they were use to handling the carrier on hikes.

the hard part would be the long bus ride and the wind on the boat ride.

CATZ4001

This tour provides wildlife and nature sightings on your River boat

trip to lamanai BUT, it is a brief as you go along sort of thing.

On Royal Caribbean I think

There is another river tour that focuses exclusively on nature sighting

and the howler monkey ....you might want to check that one out if

nature is your focus.

we definitely saw the monkeys and the tour guide was well versed

about the rain forest but it was brief.... as the focus was on the mayans

and the ruins. hope that helps

I will check out the river tour....then maybe see ruins in Costa Maya.

thank you

Archived