Costa Rican Volcano Excursions

vabeach522

Has anyone that has taken either the Tabacon Hot Springs and Arenal Volcano OR the Poas Volcano National Park execursion during a canal transit? Would you share some information on either one?

Are you more likely to see some lava on one over the other? We have a little guy that is studying volcanoes. We're doing the transit over Christmas and although I dread the longgggg bus ride to do either of these, I would definitely take one if we can spot some lava (either sliding down the side or even into the sea). Can anyone tell us about your experience in either of these excursions? I've looked on the port board and don't see much help there. Thanks!

I have been to Arenal Volcano and the Tabacon Hot Springs a few years ago (during a visit to C.R.---not an excursion from a ship) The lava/eruption at Arenal can really only be seen after dark and even then it is often time obscured by dense cloud cover. I did not visit Poas, but I do not believe it is an "erupting" volcano...plenty of volcanic like activity but no flowing lava.

If you are able to visit Arenal and Tabacon Hot Springs I HIGHLY recommend you do so; this was one of the best places we have ever been!!! You will pass through dense "movie quality" jungles enroute to the volcano---unbelievable sights! And Tabacon Hot Springs is beyond description in it's beauty!!! Just do it, and you will have a memory to last a lifetime! Even the little one will enjoy it (but even if he didn't---do it for yourself!)

I went to Tabacon Springs a few years back. You can see Arenal from there, but its not real close. There are some beautiful picturesque areas around the volcano, and I'm sure your tour guide will take you. Tabacon Springs was beautiful! Make sure you bring your bathing suit and enjoy the spring water in their stunning pool! Oh, make sure you get coffee while you're in CR. The best in the world! The Springs was the highlight of my trip to Costa Rica (not a cruise vacation). On our return to San Jose, we got caught up in social unrest and the demonstrators had blocked the only 2 roadways back to the city from the mountains using large trucks to halt traffic. We had to spend the night up in the mountains. This is a third world country and their was nowhere to get essentials (food, water, bathroom!). Once we returned to San Jose, we never left the city again. Oh, I forgot to mention that as we walked the main street in San Jose on a Sunday morning, a kid ran up behind me and literally ripped my small gold hoop earrings right out of my ears, slashing my right ear lobe.

Archived