Norwegian Star to be Vancouver Olympic hotel

I just got an email from my travel agent that the Norwegian Star will be used as a floating hotel.

Inside cabin is $1000 a night double occupancy and the ship will be docked on the North Shore. Sounds pricey, although it does cover all the regular cruise stuff like food and entertainment and they will have shuttles to the Sea Bus.

http://www.newwesttravel.com/van2010.cfm?PageID=74

Viv

Ignore this post - i just read your link and the answer to this question is there - I will let my TA know I am interested

Viv - any word yet on how they are going to do the repo from LA at either end of the stay here in Vancouver - doubt if they would sail both ways empty - I would be interested on taking it down the coast - figure after the Games and being in the downtown core I will need a break.

Cheers

Dennis

It does look like from reading the article from the attached link that the company doing the charter also is doing the repos both ways and that final payment is due on June 1, 2009 which is a lot earlier than normal and that there are no refunds given for any reason - almost sounds like the charter operator is needing to have enough people signed up and paid for to cover a payment due to NCL by June of this year.

The pricing is okay about what I would expect for a 4 day repo and I like the one day in SF on the southbound repo.

Guess it time to contact my TA and see what she can find out.

Sunny and cold here this morning.

Cheers

Dennis

It does look like from reading the article from the attached link that the company doing the charter also is doing the repos both ways and that final payment is due on June 1, 2009 which is a lot earlier than normal and that there are no refunds given for any reason - almost sounds like the charter operator is needing to have enough people signed up and paid for to cover a payment due to NCL by June of this year.

The pricing is okay about what I would expect for a 4 day repo and I like the one day in SF on the southbound repo.

Guess it time to contact my TA and see what she can find out.

Sunny and cold here this morning.

Cheers

Dennis

DH and I are looking at the repos, too. I still read in travel articles that people avoid repos because of the higher cost of open jaw tickets, but IME, one way tickets have been just as cheap lately and if you are traveling to or from a port in which you live, it's not bad at all.

BTW, I got my hockey ticket itinerary, and I got both Canada and the US in preliminary games! I had asked for a ton of tickets and didn't get nearly what I asked for, but it was still a $3000 investment which will preclude any cruising in 2009. We figure DH has set some sort of record. He lived in Montreal in 76 and his dad worked for one of the sponsor companies, so they got lots of tickets. We lived in Calgary in 88, and we got lots off the ticket lottery, and now Vancouver.

Viv

Airline ticketing won't be a problem for me as I don't fly so it will be Amtrak.

Lucky you on the tickets - didn't bother applying for tickets because I wasn't sure of what my plans were going to be in Feb 2010 - had given some thought of renting out my condo since I am right downtown and taking off for warmer climate during the games but that won't be happening so I will just sit back on watch them in HDTV.

The Star is not listed on the NCL website for the time of the Olympics next year so I guess that the guy has had to charter the ship from LA to YVR and then back to LA - still leery of booking with someone I haven't heard of before.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived