Duty Free at Pier prices

rainforestgirl

During a port-stop? No.

Passengers only have access to the duty free shop at the pier during embarkation.

On your site it says that if you are in Pier 4, you are able to get to them?

Ok I just got back from a Carnival Victory trip out of Pier 4 and have more details. At the entrance to the terminal there is a tiny liquor store that is open for people who are stopping there as a port of call. But if you are embarking your cruise there, after you check in and get the sail & sign card you have to walk around in a circle past vendors with free samples and practically right through the liquor store. You couldn't miss it if you tried.

I did not see any beer at the liquor store, and they had a limited selection of mixers. Vermouth, Coke products (including 6-packs of cans), orange juice in mini-bottles (they know what you need!) but no pineapple juice. Other than that their selection is outstanding. Wine, champagne, and of course, hard liquor of all shapes and sizes, which takes up the bulk of the store.

Speaking strictly from my experience on Carnival, you did not need to hide your non-alcoholic purchases. The employees bag up your Coke and juices, etc., and say you only have to hide the liquor. We did so, put it all through the security scanner, nothing was said except that I had to throw out my half-empty water bottle (hilarious). The liquor collection lady stopped me... only to confirm there wasn't any in my bag of Coke & juice. Pretty much everybody was carrying on cases of Coke and extremely overloaded bags of liquor.

We brought on 2 liters of rum but I know couples who brought on 6 liters. Nobody cared at all. A liter of Captain, a liter of Bacardi Razz, 4 bottles of OJ, and a 6 pack of Coke: $32. Only $20 of it was the alcohol.

• 2 months later...
During a port-stop? No.

Passengers only have access to the duty free shop at the pier during embarkation.

Just an FYI, I was recently on the Carnival Liberty, San Juan being a stop during the day (not embarkation). There is a small duty free shop on the ground floor of the terminal. I accidently got on the escalator to get back on the ship :eek: and when I got to the top, I discovered the larger duty free shop was opened. I was very happy to discover that you can shop at the duty free liquor store at the Carnival terminal during a port stop.:D

Just an FYI, I was recently on the Carnival Liberty, San Juan being a stop during the day (not embarkation). There is a small duty free shop on the ground floor of the terminal. I accidently got on the escalator to get back on the ship :eek: and when I got to the top, I discovered the larger duty free shop was opened. I was very happy to discover that you can shop at the duty free liquor store at the Carnival terminal during a port stop.:D

Great info- I will add this tip on our Duty Free liquor store Cruise page!

Archived