Can I add the kids to an ES booking later?

jeffthx

I did some searching, and I wasn't able to find a clear answer. I want to take advantage of the early saver rate on a cruise for Nov 2010. However, to mitigate the downside a bit (non-refundable deposit), I thought I would just book my wife and I now, and then I would add the kids later once I know for sure that the date is clear. I'd be booking one of the family spa rooms, so there wouldn't be a capacity issue adding the kids into the room later. I know that there's a risk of the 3rd/4th passenger rate going up, but I don't see that being a major increase down the line.

The other option would be to book the cabin for 4 at the past guest rate. Could I then change it to the early saver rate later on? Up until what date can you make that change? Final payment date? The difference beetween the past guest rate and the early saver rate is $200 (total for the 4 or us).

I'm 90% sure that we'd be going on this trip, but it's the whole "you never know" factor that has me a bit nervous about locking into a non-refundable deposit. (I know that it can be applied to a future cruise if cancelled)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jeff

I did some searching, and I wasn't able to find a clear answer. I want to take advantage of the early saver rate on a cruise for Nov 2010. However, to mitigate the downside a bit (non-refundable deposit), I thought I would just book my wife and I now, and then I would add the kids later once I know for sure that the date is clear. I'd be booking one of the family spa rooms, so there wouldn't be a capacity issue adding the kids into the room later. I know that there's a risk of the 3rd/4th passenger rate going up, but I don't see that being a major increase down the line.

The other option would be to book the cabin for 4 at the past guest rate. Could I then change it to the early saver rate later on? Up until what date can you make that change? Final payment date? The difference beetween the past guest rate and the early saver rate is $200 (total for the 4 or us).

I'm 90% sure that we'd be going on this trip, but it's the whole "you never know" factor that has me a bit nervous about locking into a non-refundable deposit. (I know that it can be applied to a future cruise if cancelled)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jeff

I don't have a clear answer, but my first question would be are you allowed to book a cabin for 4 with only 2 people initially. That may be your first obstacle!

Yes you can switch from one rate to early saver. I switched to early saver yesterday. Here are the details from Carnival about when you can make your changes:

Available on sailings 3 months prior to sail date for short cruises (5 days or less) and available on sailings 5 months prior to sail date for long cruises (6 days or longer). Savings are based on Fun Select rates and vary by sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date. Cancellation penalties apply.

are you allowed to book a cabin for 4 with only 2 people initially.

I believe you can. The Carnival website has allowed me to get to the point of booking it with only two (and I also received some feedback about these cabins from a woman who was in one with only her husband).

Jeff

I would do this

I would call Carnival to be sure.. but my guess is you'd have to switch either 5 months (6 days or greater) or 3 months (shorter cruises) to the early saver rate.

• How early must I make my reservation?

Early Saver is available up to 3 months prior to sailing on short cruises (5 days or shorter) and up to 5 months prior to sailing on long cruises (6 days or greater).

And since you can't do name changes.. I'd be curious to see if you can add names to the reservation on early saver.

My PVP told me that you had to book 2 people into a room for 2. We were trying to get a room across the hall for my kids and she said she would have to go to her supervisor.

You can change to the ESR, but if that goes up it wouldn't do you any good.

Don't forget if you cancel $50 pp is taken as a cancellation fee. The rest is held to use within a year.

Tough decision. I would make sure that you can add them to your cabin before you book it.

Karen

You can change to the ESR, but if that goes up it wouldn't do you any good.

No but they can get the price reductions on the past guest rate until he switches.. if the rates are more.. then the only reason to switch would be if the rate went down after final payment.

When I tried to put my wife's parents in a quad room (in the hopes that our kids could stay with them a couple nights) I was told they can only go in a double room unless there are open quads when final payment rolls around. But as suggested above, maybe the spa rooms are treated like suites and can be booked as doubles.

When I indicated 2 people at first, it only offered me 2-person rooms. I then edited the cabin category on the "stateroom" screen, and switched it to a 6E. I could then select from a list of 6Es (which are all 4-person cabins), and proceed to checkout. It wasn't an initial option, but I had no problem using the "edit" button to make the switch.

I'll call Carnival later to confirm all of this before making a final decision. Thanks for the input. In the end, if we don't go on a cruise this year, I know we'd go on one next year, so maybe the ES rate isn't such a risk after all.

Jeff

Actually just booked a five day quickie and the guy gave me the option of a 5er on Riviera and 4er on Main. He said the rollaways can be taken out by the steward (are they really there if the steward knows there will only be two, I wouldn't think so) It seemed liked I could have booked either of those for just me and the DH. The cruise is only two weeks out so that could be the reason though.

If there are occupancy restrictions on the sailing you cannot book a quad with only two guests. The kids can be added at a later date providing the ES rate is still available. If not, you can always add them with the PG rate, providing its applicable to the sailing. If the ES rate is not available and you have to add the kids at the PG rate, they will not be under the same restrictions as the pax booked under ES rate. The also will not be able to take advantage of any price reductions in the future.

Archived