Just how good is the snorkeling in Belize?

2sigs

I've heard that snorkeling in Belize is very good. Would I be missing out if I choose to do something else in Belize like the zip line? I'll be on the Carnival Valor in May going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. I was planning on doing my snorkeling in Roatan at Fins and Flippers. Is the snorkeling in Roatan as good as Belize or should I consider going in both locations?

Roatan and Belize are both on the same reef system. I would think that snorkling off shore would be roughly equivalent. We snorkled from a boat in Belize and from shore on Roatan. Both were nice but there was more to see off shore. The currents are something that you need to consider too. You do not need to be a really good swimmer but you can float out in the currents. (I was busy with a camera and whacked my head on the boat. I started out probably 100 ft from the boat but it did not take more than a minute of floating and then a rude awareness check!):rolleyes:

We prefer to snorkel on Belize with Coral Breeze & at Tabayana Beach in Roatan. Tabayana

offers the best from the beach snorkeling ever !

And Coral Breeze provides a trip which includes two, from their boat, snorkeling stops & a local lunch on Caye Caulker that would be hard to beat !

You can Zip line in Roatan & then go to Tabayana & snorkel, if you get a "first bus" start.

Or a local cab would do both for you.

We just returned on the Valor on 3/08/09.

Have a ball.

Bill in FL

I've heard that snorkeling in Belize is very good. Would I be missing out if I choose to do something else in Belize like the zip line? I'll be on the Carnival Valor in May going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. I was planning on doing my snorkeling in Roatan at Fins and Flippers. Is the snorkeling in Roatan as good as Belize or should I consider going in both locations?

I just did this very same cruise and if I were you, I would do FinsNFlippers in Roatan. The snorkeling here was better than the snorkeling I did in Belize. Although, the snorkeling in Belize was still good, Roatan was amazing.

We took an excursion snorkeling in Belize last week. If you are not a strong swimmer you should take care. The currents were pretty strong. I found it difficult to take pictures and keep track of where I was at the same time.

In Roatan there was very little current and there are beautiful reef structures in shallow water for moderate swimmers.

We snorkeled in Belize on the 24th of March through Coral Breezes tours. We loved it and the snorkeling was great. We have also been in Roatan and took a cab to Mayan Princess, walked through to the beach and went down to the left on the beach and snorkeled there as well. It was beautiful too. We take our own snorkeling stuff wherever we go and snorkel whenever we get the chance and I have to say, these two places were wonderful. There was more of a current in Belize, but we were wearing life vests and felt safe with our guide.

Archived