New To Holland America

Coochuck

He's called the Yum Yum man for a reason. He has all types of little goodies, not just mints and ginger.

Someone posted a photo, but I can't find it, showing the little showcase with the Yum Yum man behind hit.

We had little bon bon type things, some things that looked like canapes, but dessert type things.

This is our first trip on HAL. We chose HAL because it was our only choice :) (That's how we ended up on Princess and Carnival, too). My DH is terribly afraid we are going to be the only "young" people on board (we're in our 30's). Are we going to be the only young'uns? TIA!

This is our first trip on HAL. We chose HAL because it was our only choice :) (That's how we ended up on Princess and Carnival, too). My DH is terribly afraid we are going to be the only "young" people on board (we're in our 30's). Are we going to be the only young'uns? TIA!

Well, you may not be the "only" ones, but they will be few and far between. Especially on the Veendam in Alaska. Alaska skews older than the Caribbean for all lines to begin with, which is why we chose Carnival for that itinerary.

However, I am hoping the two things I didn't like about Carnival, pushy drink sales and drunk people, might be less. We are all about change and to see different cruise lines, but it will be interesting if we are some of the youngest on the ship after the last two we have been on!

lovebug33, when we went to AK last year on HAL (early May) there was a very broad cross-section of "age". The oldest was 92 (I think) with the youngest being a baby. The "bubble" was around 45-60. Alaska is exhausting, IMHO, and we NEVER see "night life" per se when we go to AK. We are doing "stuff" at every port. Then dinner, a bit of wine, a stroll around the promenade deck, and back to the cabin to rest up for the next day :) (hope this isn't scaring you!) For us, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, or whatever, is enough activity, without adding a party and hangover :)

I think you'll find regardless of line that the nightlife is a bit scaled down on all the ships that go to AK. I guess I will find out more about HAL nightlife this year -- I'm doing a "budget" trip and won't be doing any of the active shore excursions. Just a bit of hiking. So I'll probably be prowling around later than I usually do!

I was figuring this was going to be a lot different. Our Caribbean cruise was mostly sea days with a short time on shore. This one's port times are so long that I can see us not doing so much at night. This is going to be interesting.

In Jun/Jul/early-Aug when school is out you'll find lots of families with teens and younger in AK. Not so many in May or Sep.

thans for the info on the yumyum man - i love that name

the treats sound good

as far as age - for some reason all younger people wonder what the age group will be on HA - I don't see this on other lines

hubby and I are late 50's and we wonder who the "oldies" are - so I guess it is all relative - (we are finding we are now not that young)

we are going on noordam November 1,2009 - anyone else on this line

the food and room sound unbelieveable - can't wait to try how cofortable the beds are supposed to be also looking forward to how the

HA ships have that "old world feel" - I don't think I would like the "glitzy" of carnival - not that I have every been on this line

carol

Archived