Excursions with an infant?

displaced

We're planning on going to Alaska in a couple of months. We would love to do some easy excursions. Should we plan on bringing a carseat for excursions (for travel from the cruiseship to the places)? Our son will be 9 mths then. Anything especially easy to do with an infant? Thanks! BYW, where do you store the carseat in the cabin?

We are going in May so no first hand experience in Alaska. We will have a 3 1/2 year old and 10, almost 11, month old.

We are also taking the grandparents, or rather they are taking us, along with my DH and his adult sister and brother - the aunt and uncle basically. Thus we have a lot of baby wranglers to assist ;)

I am also still nursing the infant which helps a lot as I have a portable meal and comfort measure with me.

We have traveled all over the country with our first one from infancy to now. I find that more than anything, it depends on the temperment of your child and your means of transport, i.e. stroller, backpack and people power. You also have to be a little more prepared., i.e. snacks, drinks, diapers and clothing.

Our itinerary is:

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier, infant will ride in Kelty backpack, toddler in a collapsible stroller (if possible) or be carried partly. We transfer to a whale watching boat. This will be the hardest day as we go from 2-9 pm! We will have snacks and snuggle blankets.

Skagway - The train. I really debated which one. We ended up on the 4 1/2 hour trip which involves a 1 1/2 hour train ride up. Stop and tour a gold rush camp, 45 min. bus back.

Ketchikan - Nothing! Actually, the grandparents are taking the girls and strolling around, may see the fish hatchery and/or totem poles. I am kayacking with my SIL, DH is salmon fishing. Our little break fromt he kiddos ;)

Cheers and good luck!

Archived