1st time snorkeling where is best place in Cozumel & a couple of ???

itzmered

We are going on the NCL Spirit Jan of 2010 and would like to try snorkeling. Any suggestions on best place for a 1st timer to try this at in Cozumel? Is it difficult? Buy our own inexpensive gear and bring with or use what they have? Any fairly decent disposable cameras or will I be too busy trying to figure out what I am doing :eek:

I think most will say to try the Chankanab Nat'l park. Mainly for its walk-in snorkeling. Easier on 1st timers, versus from a boat in open water. But I have not been there recently, so see what others say. Check out the Coz section in the Ports of Call area here at CruiseCritic.

If you would like a boat-based trip, I am always suggesting Eagle Ray Divers.

A camera is good to have. Disposables won't do justice to the color and richness you will see with your own eyes...but if you don't take one - you will wish you had at least a chance to capture the memory. Just having a camera to snap pics of yourself first time snorkle gear - is one for the scrapbook.

But do spend more time snorkeling than trying to take pics. Strap it on your wrist and forget about most of the time.

I was going to suggest Chankanab as well. It's not the best snorkeling in Cozumel, but for a first timer it's easily accessible and there's other stuff to see and do at the park in case you decided you don't want to snorkel for long. I'd suggest not doing a boat trip on your first snorkel try. The waves might freak you out a bit more than if you were closer to shore.

I think Chankanab rents gear, but I'm not positive. If you're going to buy gear, make sure you get the mask properly fitted at a dive shop because you don't want one that leaks.

Personally, I'd spring for a cheap disposable underwater camera, but I wouldn't take it into the water until you've gone out at least once without it. This will give you a chance to get used to snorkeling without having the distraction of anything around your wrist.

Just back from a March 7 sailing.

Agree with above on Chakanab with caveats and comments. Check their website. Easy acess down the stairs but you are immediately in deep water. If you are not good at snorkling, take a lesson or be sure you rent a vest too. They rent gear and had lessons available. Also showers (cold but got the salt wter off), lockers to rent and decent bathroom facilities. We found a discount coupon on the website and there must have been a free t-shirt with admission coupon available too - maybe it was at the display as you got off the ship. Cab was $10 each way for 3 from the terminal.

The website says biodegradable sunscreen only. We found some on the internet but no one ever checked what we were using.

• 2 months later...

we did Chankanab the first week of June and rented stuff there. Good time and my DW who does not swim did fine with vest. Do not get the package offered at the front gate as the shops on the beach are cheaper ($5 for everything vs the 9 at the gate)

My first time snorkeling was last September in Grand Cayman off of a boat. Maybe I was blissfully ignorant, but I just put on the snorkel, breathed through my mouth and "dove" into the water. (Actually, I was sitting on a step on the back of the boat and bent over and glided in.) I never looked back and had a BLAST.

If you are remotely confident (I had butterflies but have always been a swimmer, so I wasn't scared of snorkeling; just that the water was instantly deep) you should be fine.

I had a water camera (disposable) and strapped it on my wrist, too, and LOVED having it. No, these pics won't hang in the Smithsonian, but you have the memories. I didn't have any problem, even though it was my first time.

Archived